In the year 2023, the Outdoors beckon

A place to share garden and outdoor spaces plans and activities.
Harriet

In the year 2023, the Outdoors beckon

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:59 pm

This was a previous start to a yearly thread here by Lynlee:

Its hot or its cold. Sun is shining or not.
Enough rain is welcome.
Violent storms or the too much of anything can be a bother.
There can be fire, floods or drought.
A plague of eating, or sap sucking pests perhaps?
Maybe its a chance to be glad of what isn't happening, if its just the regular tasks needing attention before nature takes on a will of its own, and a jungle appears.

If you have a wish to share your stories,
your parade of adventures in your own back and front yard, courtyard, terrace or balcony are welcome here.
Perhaps you are able to dream into being, a parkland or garden to enjoy.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: In the year 2023, the Outdoors beckon

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:04 pm

With spring just days away 12 I am looking forward to it 12 days away now.
I have snow drops in bloom.
Daffs. are up and budding.
Tulips are up a few inches.
I have noticed the above things as I walk by cleaning up after the ddog.

I have been working on doing one thing a day like getting patio furniture.
Moved the fence parts out of the way for back drop of flowers, or veg. to climb on later, deciding where to put it for this year.
One more to move as well.

Decluttering the shop some done. Progress is being made. Yea!

Dson a lawn care bug spray guy said to wait on fertilizer till spring, the neighbor guy did his last week then it snowed.
dson was right! :mrgreen:

I dug out some pesky vol. small bulbs in the path on the side yard.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:57 am

I have lots of thoughts on my outdoor spaces!

I've thought for several weeks that I ought to see if I can get pansies and replant for the spring - I put them out in the fall but most were killed off by the super hard freeze we had in Dec., following a mild fall. But now, I'm wondering if I shouldn't hold off a few more weeks and go with the annuals I normally put in my planters. We've had such a warm spring that pansies might not have much of a run.

And the raised plant beds are looking rough. I need to sieve them to get some rocks out - I put down a bag of pebbles in the bottom of each to help the drainage when I set them up, and the pebbles have migrated. I have compost coming next week from the company that picks up my compostables. I get two bags of compost for each month they pick up compostables. The zinnias that I grow from seed don't go out until the weather is warmer, same with tomatoes although last year I put one out in late March, I think, and had tomatoes in June.

I'll need to replace my rosemary that also died in the cold snap. It had lasted several years.

I'm noticing hanging ferns out in the neighborhood. I only got the last dead one from last year gone a few weeks ago. I usually get a hanging one and plant in a larger pot for the front porch.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:21 pm

My little round flower garden is doing well. Zinnia seeds haven't sprouted yet. I have lots of color out there now. Neighbor gave DH some kind of potato slips, I think they're sweet potato vines. I need to put them in back of the peppers in the veggie garden in my side yard. Last week we bought 1 bag of red mulch to put in the flowers and it will only take half the bag so I'll spread the rest in the foundation bushes where it's needed. I've trimmed out a couple bushes, cut all the dead stuff out, and there's lots of work to do around the back. I'd love to have a beautiful lush landscape around here, but I just do what I can and it's not a lot.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:40 pm

I got the outdoor kitchen area cleaned.
Worked on the chicken coop.
I also put the shed in more order.
Weather is finally warmed up enough for me to do some outside stuff.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:27 pm

I cleaned up the side yard and by the house in front this week.
I went out to do a bit more and it started to hail lightly.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:56 pm

I have done another flower bed clean out yea for that progress.
Dead sage is removed I hope to find a rosemary to plant there.
Dug out a dead rose bush, thinking what to plant in it's place with out thorns that will give me joy.

It is too windy today to be outside working in the yard.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:11 pm

I need to get more garden soil to top my beds off. I ordered zinnia seeds today and it's time to get my tomatoes in!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:01 pm

Everybody's outdoor spaces look lovely!

I have reached a stopping place with my planting until I (probably - not definite) go to another nursery to check what they have. Both large beds are planted and the backdoor area is planted, although I'm kinda pining away for more there. We'll see.

Harmony, my lantana died back and did not overwinter, which was expected. But the root systems were evidently going crazy under there - big, finger-sized, long roots I'm still pulling up. I'm thinking I can't plant lantana again in beds where I hope smaller plants can make it near them? Do you plant it near anything else?

I am blessed that this year, when I have less stamina than last, all the work I did getting the dirt and watering, etc., ready in the first place is still helping now. So grateful that the watering connections and hoses are fine. All the soil amendments, especially the composted manure, will still be in there ready to give aid to the plants this year. (I did add more of manure, mushroom compost and perlite, but small quantities, not the hefting of big bags I did last year.) I have not had to ask for any help, except to get HRH to open the cover on the front spigot for me (styrofoam insulated cover that dstepson had hooked to the handle).

How I wish for blessedw2 that all her remarkable work last year might give her the same "edge" and let her enjoy some gardening during a more difficult spring.

Right in the middle of the long bed I unearthed two huge earthworms - just terrific to see. Didn't see any others but I suppose I gave the rest plenty of warning and they dove down! If some can thrive there, plenty can thrive there, so I'm convinced and don't need to see more.

We were warned about a frost last night but it didn't happen. I think I could have planted all the way back to April 1 or earlier and had no problem. Very odd to have so little winter.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:58 pm

It is windy but not to bad in my backyard so I picked up after the ddog.
Went to the front yard and got 5 weeds out by the road yea for progress.

Return to “Outdoor Spaces and Gardens”