What's for Dinner?

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
blessedw2

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:57 am

dinner changed last night because I was gone until 7 pm: I found sole (not expensive though) so I made that and we had left over couscous
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:12 am

blessed here is the WMart listing and photo (scroll down). It's called the Instant Pot DUO 6 quart. "Duo" is their word for their second version of it which they improved with a lid that either removes or stays upright as you reach in. A lot of people like the first version, too. If you look that same item up on Amazon, there are thousands of positive reviews. I got closer to this lower WMart style price, but on Amazon in November. I believe it was a special, since now it's more there. It does take up a cubic foot of space.

Thank you lots for that Happy Pear link with the photos of clickable recipes. That looks like it will be a good resource for us! HRH of course will be interested in the scones, so I'll have to rein that in! I hope ddA likes her book - sounds interesting.

Today was stressful and traveling, and back at home we had Chinese take-out I picked up, sharing a veggie fried rice and a mixed vegetables. I'm a little disappointed to have beautiful greens in the fridge and not be using them but tomorrow I can get to that.

Speaking of couscous, I bought broccoli just so I can chop it small for adding to couscous along with other shredded veggies I think will be attractive. Those spices you used sound lovely, and I could check out Ina's online recipe for the general idea. For the broccoli I'll chop it and wait a while, because an oddity of cruciferous veggies is that they are more nutritious a half-hour after they are chopped (and then remain steady).

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:23 am

d harriet that's really cool!!! thanks for sharing!!!

sorry you had a stressful day! I hope today is calm and joyful!

I never thought about adding the broccoli to the couscous. good idea.
I will print the recipe from ina's book when I am home later. my uncle and my dd/even dh (not a veggie eater) liked the couscous

tonight: it is still up in the air
I am heading out to see d mil, and I will see uncle to figure out where I am food wise for him. i have been buying things because he has complained about food before but he seemed to enjoy the food I cooked... I don't tell him I cooked it - I put it in a container from previous brought in meals... :D you do what you have to do.

dd made taco salad for us yesterday as I had A headache - really fresh and good.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:57 pm

blessed, I just lost a long post to you because our internet went out.

basically, found this which may be same recipe or not
One recipe from Ina, changed to have Pearl or Israli couscous which is slightly less cooking time, I think. I would only need to change to vegetable broth and it would be fine, if I could find winter squash.

Along the way, found this which looks like a cool product to have couscous plus variety, attractive.

Also, the brown rice blend saved well in the fridge for several days and then I combined into curry-type sauce with vegetables. Then at meal time microwaved and the flavors were mingled well, all nicely moist, and was really good last evening. Also was able to use up some of the greens we have last evening. So that makes me feel less guilty!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:50 am

ooo that curry dish sounds lovely!!! I know you two are now vegetarian.. how has that helped with your overall well being?
Just wondering if you see a difference.

dd younger makes a great dal dish.

the couscous dish is a bit different re: spices. Saffron and cumin is in the dish but not the other spices. I used the mini couscous
but the overall recipe is the same

oven 375 degrees
2 cups 3/4 diced butternut squash, 2 cups chopped yellow onions, 1-1/2 cups 3/4 inch diced carrots, 1-1/2 cups 3/4 inch diced zucchini on baking sheet and toss with 2 T olive oil, salt to your taste (she over salts every thing), pepper. Roast 25 minutes for 25 to 30 minutes until veggies are tender (not burning) ... turn once during cooking

In a sauce pan bring to boil 1-1/2 cups chicken stock or broth, turn off heat. add 2 T butter (or what you like), salt, pepper, 1/4 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp saffron (I took a pinch), allow to steep 15 minutes (it helps the saffron release it's flavor)

Bring stock back to boil, Place 1-1/2 cup couscous (I like whole wheat but my family doesn't lol) in bowl with roasted veggies in large bowl and pour hot chicken stock over them. cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand at room temp. top with 2 scallions chopped. Toss together and fluff with fork and serve.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:11 am

eating out is super expensive - I had to eat out two days in a row because I didn't get home (or was even home) to make dinner - even a simple one.

Now that d mom is home - making dinners may prove difficult because she gets lonely and wants to eat out. I will have to figure this one out.

I ended eating at olive with d mom. brought home food for dd

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:31 pm

:shock: eating out with d mom again. not good. great tasting but not good for the body

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:49 pm

yesterday flank steak marinated and grilled
corn dish by i na
Kale, hot thai chile and kumquat dressing (dd younger)

corn salad

3 ears of corn cooked in salted for 5 to 7 minutes .. (tender) cool about 5 to 10 minutes and then cut off cob
place in bowl with 1 pint cherry tomatoes cut in half,
1 orange pepper 1/2 " diced
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 -2 finely chopped jalapeno peppers seeded and ribs removed (I like like so I use one)

In a small bowl: whisk together 1-1/2 tsp. lime zest, 1/4 lime juice freshly squeezed, 2 T olive oil, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1/4 tsp chipotle chile powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp. black pepper. pour over above vegetables.

in a separate bowl. cut 2 ripe ha ss avocados in large dice with the juice of one-ish lemon .. fold into vegetable salad above. sprinkle it with a bit of salt if you like and serve cold or at room temp. can not be made the day before.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:56 pm

tonight: tomate farci ... my recipe with ground beef, a bit of fresh brat meat, onions, thyme, parsley, rice (left over arborio), a little white wine and broth mixed with insides of tomato shells. gruyere on top - didn't care for the new recipe everyone else loved it. (I think the brat meat took over).

broccoli with lemon
zucchini with a

lunch today: 1/2 turkey on ezekiel bread and left over corn salad ... not as good as the night before.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:55 am

tonight garbanzo greek salad
butternut squash roasted with spices and yogurt on side
pita and maybe (maybe taziki sauce) (buy dd younger some falafel)
Make fish for d mom and dd older (foil wrapped fish)

snack: make green goddess dressing and cut up veggies.

I am going to try d harriets pressure cooker couscous soon. I will look for that couscous at store today.

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”