Cookery - Sharing What Interests Us

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
Harriet

Cookery - Sharing What Interests Us

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:55 pm

What's capturing your imagination in the kitchen?

From chow to cuisine to culinary science... .. what have you been interested in preparing lately? What are you learning (or perfecting) in ingredients, cookbooks, equipment, or making precious old recipes better.

Harriet

Re: Cookery - Sharing What Interests Us

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:26 pm

I'm perfecting my tofu scramble lately for a different breakfast sometimes, "shredding" the extra firm tofu by pulling a fork through it - HRH gets a kick out of watching a plain block turn into a scrambled block. The colors of diced peppers and red onion make it attractive. Turmeric powder gives that rich, yellow color to the tofu and black pepper makes the turmeric more available when we eat it, so that's a healthy combo.

Always some chopped mushrooms of some kind. So happy that several of our ordinary local groceries now carry oyster mushrooms in addition to shitake, so I don't have to buy the same bella/crimini variety just because I'm not at a healthy-foods place. When I remember, I put cilantro leaves on top to please HRH. Usually I do all water saute for frying, but for this dish I do that plus coat the pan slightly with the Earth Balance margarine that Harmony recommended, for a little buttery flavor.

My dmil's recent gift of a new square frying pan has been useful. I was surprised because I was thinking either the heat distribution wouldn't be good or it would be harder to cook in. Turns out the heat is fine and because my favorite utensil for it is a heat-proof rubber spatula that's square, I've had no trouble with cornering! :) It does a very good job.

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”