Cookery - Sharing What Interests Us

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
BookSaver
Administrator

Re: Cookery - Sharing What Interests Us

Postby BookSaver » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:35 am

Calling on our village wisdom here:

I found in my cupboard a partial box of cake mix (stored in a mason jar to keep fresh). I remember using it to make "mug cake" for the microwave. I don't have a microwave anymore because I gave it up when I discovered that I prefer the toaster oven.

How do I convert this random cake mix to single serve mini cake for the toaster oven?

I'm sure the info is online somewhere but I thought I'd check here first before going down that rabbit hole! :)

The cake mix box is long gone so I have no idea what brand it is, but probably just standard chocolate mix from Aldi or wm.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:03 pm

My jiffy mix cally for half c. Of water. They are smaller.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Breakfast cupcakes for no-egg recipes are like - 6 tbsp cake mix to 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce to 1 tbsp water. For an oven instead of a microwave, your potential problem is drying out. I wonder if more pleasing, not-dry results could come from a similar recipe but folding in blueberries? But then, I just love blueberry muffins, lol.

Another remedy is planning to slice strawberries over top if it's dry. yum. Adding more applesauce? Don't know.

And you could always bake it all as cupcakes at once, estimating some butter/oil and just one egg, as best you could for speed, to have one each morning. What's the worst that could happen? ;)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:28 pm

The not-so-substantial canned and carton-ed soups we have in pantry, like minestrone, are perfect for adding ordinary plain (inexpensive, too) barley. Then they are stick-to-your-ribs with a familiar textured soup-addition and they go farther. It's easy to keep plain grains in the pantry although they take a little while to cook. Does that defeat the purpose of a quick canned soup? Not in this situation these days, I don't think. They are purchased for pantry-preparedness more than convenience now. Dd likes to cook the barley with a cube of veggie bullion. Sadly, I ran out of the low-sodium one and can't seem to find it. Hmmm... .. But we can use less. Farro is a good grain for this, too - very like barley.

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”