Food Product Reviews

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
Harriet

Food Product Reviews

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Reviews from October, 2007 through July, 2008

By Indiana

I recently received a book of goodies to taste test.

The first one I tried were the new Curves Chewy Granola Bars.

They were the Chocolate Peanut ones. I would have preferred the strawberries + cream but these were good.

They are 100 calories, moist and just the right size.

I can alternate between these and glucerna bars.

By Indiana

The next thing I tried was the Wanchai Ferry chinese dinner kit.

EVerything ws included in the Spicy Garlic one we tried except for the 1 pound of chicken.

It was full of garlic flavor and had a little bite and heat to it.

One suggestion on the box was to add red bell pepper and onion if you wanted to. I added both and it was very good. There was still plenty of sauce.

We tried the Sweet & Sour chinese dinner kit. I used shrimp instead of chicken and added red bell pepper. It was also very good.

Edited to add: The dinner kit includes rice, sauce, and chinese vegetables (water chestnuts, bamboo shoots in the Spicy garlic and pineapple and water chestnuts in the sweet & sour).

By DeeClutter

We tried Banquet Crock-Pot Classics "Hearty Beef & Vegetables" tonight. It was pretty easy to get it going. It turns out as a very thick 'stew'. We had plenty with one bowl and there's probably enough for us each to have another serving. DH pronounced it "good" so will probably have it again in the future. Didn't seem too salty, the beef was good AND tender. Think I may have cooked it just a tad too long for the potatoes (they go in the last 35 minutes on high). So all in all it was a success and a good item to store in my freezer for those days when I'm going to run. :lol:

By Harriet

This was a "Consumer Report" :D that I'd made in March in PWYC.

I tested the quick pot roast recipe on the Hormel Fully Cooked Roast Au Jus packages (they make both Pork and Beef Au Jus). Had been mystified at how fast it sounded and wanted proof the microwaved root veggies would cook evenly. Dumped 1 1/2 cups baby carrots into cassarole dish with same amount red new potatoes cut in half, some onion and 2 Tbsp water. Microwaved Hi covered 6 minutes. Put in Hormel's roast, stirred, and cooked 5 more mins. Nummy. Pretty. Dh and dd went silent and scoffed it down. It's not art, but it suits my normal attention span and unpreparedness - from "what's for supper" to "put your napkin in your lap" faster than a cardboard pizza, and it cost $8 total.

By Indiana

I tried the new Progresso Light soup.

I like the regular Progresso soup so when I tried the Progresso Light soup I was expecting great tastes.

It was good. The Progresso Lights are vegetables soups with the same great flavor of their meat versions.

They are 60 calories per serving. If you are on WW they are ) points per serving. The sodium is lower than the regular version.

Mmmm good.

cathyy

Re: Food Product Reviews

Postby cathyy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:26 am

S&B Japanese curry paste. It comes in mild, medium and hot; choose wisely! I make it according to the package directions, using chicken. After browning the chicken I add about half a carrot per person, cut up in bite size pieces, with the onion and water and let it simmer about 30 minutes before I add the curry paste and a half cup or so of raisins. Serve with rice. My husband married me on the basis of this meal. :D

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:54 am

Especially for those of you who are diabetic: I tried T asty Kake chocolate cupcakes (bought at W Mart) this week. They are nice and chocolaty but a little bit on the dry side. However, to get that "need something sweet/dessert fix", they were pretty good! I'll probably buy them again to have on hand. I may take some with me to the next potluck so I can continue to disregard the sweets that show up.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks Dee for posting that one I'll have to check it out!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Not worth buying:
hand held turning herb chopper (Microplane herb chopper)

holds only a few herbs and herbs get wedged into mechanism... the old chef knife sharpened is best
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”