Helpful Healthy Recipes and Alternatives

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
Sadie

Helpful Healthy Recipes and Alternatives

Postby Sadie » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi Ladies,

Am spending a little time trying to make some of my favorites into healthier versions. Thought I would share them as I come up with some acceptable ones. I made three different things yesterday and only one came out ok.

I am trying to use soy flour and graham flour to replace some of the all purpose flour in recipes. I made blueberry muffins, a quick bread, and bread in the breadmaker. Only the blueberry muffins passed the test.

I also keep track of nutritional values per serving. I do this by jotting down the values of everything that goes in the recipe such as calories, carbs, protein, fat, fiber, and then divide by the number of servings made.

I also store the soy flour and graham flour in the fridge as they can bad quicker than white flour. and they are available at WM or other supermarkets.

So here's my Blueberry Muffins.

1 cup oatmeal (old fashioned)
1/2 cup soy flour
1/2 cup graham flour
2.5 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cups sugar
2 tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup soy milk
1 cup water
2 eggs
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup blueberries(fresh or frozen)

Combine oats, flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix in milk, water, eggs and oil. Fold in blueberries. Filled greased muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Please keep in mind that the soy flour browns quicker so keep an eye on them so they don't get too brown. Makes 24 muffins

Nutritional Values: Calories 122, Carbs 17g, Fat 4.9g Sfat .6g Protein 3g Fiber 1g

Sadie

Re: Helpful Healthy Recipes and Alternatives

Postby Sadie » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:52 pm

Easy Granola

1 cup graham flour
1 cup soy flour
2 cups Oatmeal (old fashioned or quick)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Mix all ingredients together with a mixer. spread out on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 325 for 1 hour, stirring several times through the hour.

Makes 12 (2oz) servings

Each serving: Calories 235, Carbs 31, Fat 11.6 Sfat 1 Protein 7.3 Fiber 4.7

Ways I have used this: mixed with one tablespoon of peanut butter, mixed with blueberry and milk and heated in the microwave. Mixed with cold milk. sprinkled on top of yogurt.

It's real powerhouse of good carbs, the right kind of fat, protein and fiber to fill you up and keep you filled for awhile.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:05 am

Turkey Tacos
Brown 1 to 1.5 pounds ground turkey breast in 2 tbsp safflower oil or extra virgin olive oil. Drain and return to pan. Add 1/3 package Old El Paso Low Sodium Taco seasoning. (fold package and seal in a baggie for next time) Add a few tbsps water and return to a simmer just long enough to coat turkey with seasoning. Remove from heat. Warm 6-inch corn tortillas according to package (I like to microwave). Serve with bowls of 1 cup each diced tomatoes, diced green peppers, diced onions and grated carrots for "make your own" tacos. (Optional - Shredded low-fat cheese.)

3 tacos equal about
460 calories; 44 g. carbs; 22 g. fat; 20 g. protein; 8 g. fiber

We only cook for 3 here, so we keep the remaining meat mixture refrigerated and the combined veggies refrigerated and it's easy to make just one or two tacos later for a snack.

Can't say enough about safflower oil. It's more expensive but very light and healthy.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:00 pm

I've been making low carb. soups and stews putting in turnips and or parsnips in place of potatoes or noodles. Seems to be working great for us.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Peanut Butter low carb cookies/low sugar cookies

1 c. peanut butter 1 pkg. sug. free
vanilla or cheese cake flavored pudding *
1 egg
1 tea. vanilla
1/2 pkg. cream cheese (4 oz.)
1 tea. cinnamon
3/4 c. splenda or other sugar free baking
substitute.
[I'm going to add leavening next time 1 tea. Rumford baking powder]
Mix well shape in to balls bake at
350* for ten min.

-----
* I did a chocolate version using chocolate pudding too they were just as yummy!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Fruit Salsa
1 cup diced fresh mango
1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple
1/2 cup diced papaya
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint

Toss together the mango, pineapple, papaya, jalapeno pepper,
and red onion in a bowl. Pour in the lime juice and olive oil.
Season to taste with salt, and stir to combine.
Sprinkle with chopped mint leaves before serving.

-----

Tomato Salsa
3 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup finely diced onion
5 Serrano chilies, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lime juice

In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes, onion, chili peppers, cilantro, salt, and lime juice.
Chill for one hour in the refrigerator before serving.

-----

Beer Salsa
½ tea. salt
1 onion minced
1 green pepper, diced
3-4 tomatoes, peeled and diced
½ c. cilantro or flat parsley, chopped
2 sweet peppers, finely chopped
1 tablespoon oil
½ c. beer
1 tea. ground cumin

In a med. Saucepan, sauté onion in oil for 2 min., or until slightly softened.
Add remaining ingredients except cilantro or parsley, and barely bring to a boil.
Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro or parsley. Allow to cool for 30 min.
Serve chilled or at room temperature. Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice, if desired.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Flaxseed Skinny Muffin

1/4 c ground flaxseed
1 heaping tsp of baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 egg
1 tsp coconut oil
I pkg Stevia/Truvia

**** I fill my 1/4 measuring cup almost filled and then add a Tablespoon of coconut flour. I like the texture of the muffin better. However you can make the muffin without the coconut flour.

Take a large coffee mug and lightly spray it with Pam.
Place egg and oil in cup and beat/mix well with fork
Next Add baking powder beat/ mix well
Add cinnamon and Stevia and do the same.

Place cup in microwave and nuke for 50-48 seconds.... do NOT over cook!!! ( when the microwave time runs down to 10-8 seconds, you’re done!!!)

I split my muffin length wise and and some butter and very lightly drizzle with a tiny bit of honey. Put the two pieces back together for a moment so each half can absorb the other.

Sometime I put 8-10 blueberries and n my muffin before I nuke it, but you’ll need to adjust the time a tad and cook it a bit more. You can also add a vey small amount of chopped walnuts. You’ll just have to play with the timing.

I make this muffin so often that I keep all my ingredients in a basket, with the exception of the egg, so all I have to do is pull it out and everything is ready to make my muffin.

I have shared this recipe with several of my friends and they make these muffins all the time.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:40 pm

Millet Loaf

Millet loaves are a homey alternative to meatloaf, traditional to serve at vegetarian gatherings.
Millet takes on flavors of spices well and is sliceable if formed right after cooking.

2.5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
1/4 cup millet

1 cup finely chopped onion
2 Tablespoons garlic, minced

1 Tbsp fresh sage
1/2 Tbsp fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

2 Tbsp white miso paste
1/4 cup hot water to dissolve miso

1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
1/4 to 1/2 cup rolled or instant oatmeal (optional)

Sweet and Sour Sauce/Glaze
1 can tomato sauce (about 1 cup)
2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (or other vinegar)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium saucepan, bring broth to boiling. Stir in millet. Return to boiling and reduce heat to medium-low, cover. Cook 20 to 25 minutes. Start the miso dissolving into the hot water. Make the Sauce.

in a large saucepan cook onion over medium-heat 8 minutes. Add a Tbsp of water during cooking if needed to prevent sticking. Add garlic and spices. Cook and stir one minute more. Add dissolved miso to onion mixture. Stir in HALF of the Sauce. Stir in optional yeast and oatmeal if desired. Stir in millet.

Immediately press into a small loaf-shaped oven-proof dish or pan. Form a dome. Top with the remaining Sauce. Bake 30 to 40 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before slicing in the dish, longer if you plan to lift the loaf out to serve.

My millet loaf recipe is adapted from Chef Del Stroufe's, found in the book Forks Over Knives. He liked twice the thyme and garlic. The oatmeal was an online comment from a fan of his who wanted a firmer loaf. The glaze recipe is my mother's - Chef suggested ketchup or plain tomato sauce.

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”