What's for Dinner?

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
blessedw2

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:58 pm

dh (a seasoned meat eater) loved the beyond burger - a surprise.
I want to look at the ingredients again as I think there is too much fat and salt in it - something has to make it good. I also need to find out how they make their protein out of plants. I will say I didn't feel uncomfortable at all after eating it that beef does at times and no guilt!

I am beginning to see that I am enjoying beans and veggies more as a substitute for meat (not missing it like I used to)

Breakfast:
ezekiel toast, one boiled egg, 1/2 cup of a smoothie mixture I bought at wh ole foods: different berries, date, grapefruit - really tasty
coffee for this morning

Lunch: turkey on ezekiel lettuce guacamole

Dinner: orange chicken and veggie rice (proportion!!! a must) disliked the orange chicken but liked the veggie rice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGRSSeSKVDo&t=2s
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:22 pm

ejagno, I enjoyed seeing your neatly organized meal plans.

blessed, I enjoyed the great recipe about the Miracle Shepherdless Pie :)

Haven't yet tried the beyond beef burger. Our local WFoods put about a hundred boxes of it in their freezer cabinets, while there were still only a few of each of 10 or so others. I don't know why they didn't just keep some in their freezer in the back so it wouldn't look so much like a fire sale, lol. We did try the beyond brand of crumbles and they were okay. Dsecondmil likes them. Our favorites of either of those remains the Quorn (and their "chicken" patty and nuggets), but their products do have some egg white to hold everything together, so can't truly be called vegan, only vegetarian. We have them sparingly - ds' children like the nuggets better than any others, even McD, as does dd19.

To really have a vegan burger that holds together well, convenient in the freezer section, would be a big deal. I remember as HRH read the beyond burger pkg, he said, "why would I want it to bleed? I know what it is." :lol: But now with a recommendation we will definitely try. I actually saw some at WMart recently and said to myself, "now blessed's going to try that - I'll know 2 places to find some if she likes it"

Next best of burgers I've tried, I would choose the Engine 2 Italian burger (all their products are vegan), but you have to remember will be softer compared to the firm burgers. I usually put a few pieces of Romaine lettuce for the crunch of it anyway, although another favorite for me is to make a small portion of slaw. I like the Chao sliced regular "cheese" I can find at WMart or WFoods, and am fine with just half a slice on a burger, so a pack lasts me a good while. HRH has used his airfriyer for the convenience veggie burgers we've tried and it works fine, by the way.

Today was spaghetti with fresh bell peppers and (hothouse) tomatoes.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:09 pm

I thought the same of their crumbles - it was okay - nothing special. Our wf did the same - they just filled up the whole cabinet. I will have to try the chicken patties. lol re dh comment about the bleeding (I agree lol). I like bean burgers better than this - plus they use a lot of oils it looks like. Dh loved it but he loves any thing that looks like beef. it takes a long time to crisp so I just let it sit and crisp. I think most vegetarians would like bean burgers better but those who eat meat regular seem to like this.

Thanks for giving me some other things to try d harriet - I will look for them!

I love spaghetti and peppers!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm

today we are having fish taco's
dh likes shrimp (yuck for me)
but I did get some mahi mahi

forgot I need an avocado (I think I will buy a small package of slaw instead of buying two different cabbages as it would be a waste). - I have cilantro etc.

yesterdays rice went over well - definitely will make again (not with meat) - I added a bunch of other veggies that weren't listed.

I have to admit I am truly frustrated on how much my groceries were yesterday - I think I am going to bring a calculator with me so I can see the difference in price. I spent 144 yesterday even though I went to wf the other day and spent 125 - :shock: I know I bought stock up things rice/barley etc. but the fish cost like 40 and I didn't expect that. I will have to be extra careful the next couple weeks. Stick with the veggies.

Never made it to the grocery store so our fish tacos will be tomorrow. I ordered a pizza and a salad - I dislike spending the money :shock:

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:19 pm

hoping to use up the fish today for tacos - mahi mahi with taco seasoning broiled then baked until done served with slaw, avocado, cilantro

Cabbage Slaw:

1 pound thinly sliced or shredded cabbage ( green and purple is nice) (dh bought a 1 pd package for me).
½ teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
¼ cup thinly sliced red onion, more to taste
½ cup chopped cilantro ( packed), ½ of a large bunch
¼ -½ of a jalapeño, finely chopped, more to taste didn't put this in
¼ cup fresh lime juice, more to taste
2 tablespoon olive oil

Monday: roasted beet and lentil chicken salad with siracha yoghurt Donal Skehan (I have left over chicken and a bag of lentils), salad - I need to buy beets - I might use goat cheese for me as I don't really want the meat.

I made this today - I liked the dressing - a dijon/balsamic/olive oil/garlic/s/p dressing that was added to 100 grams of chopped sun-dried tomato (from oil) and red onion finely chopped and cilantro and parsley along with lentils - I struggled with the lentils today (next time canned lentils or get the de puy lentils). I cooked it long enough but still chewy.

I also think the beets needed a dressing but I think cooking it like he suggested with lemon zest, olive oil/s/p and thyme branches will be used again.

I also made those cauliflower nuggets from a package - I would rather have had the cauliflower because 6 of them are 110 calories and when I looked at the ingredients it had flours etc. But dh liked them.

tuesday: baked farro and squash, salad left over and some soup. it was really good. - forgot I didn't have faro - dh went to the store for me
Make soup for week: winter minestrone page 53 ina garten Foolproof always delicious - I am freezing a bunch of soup for future dinners.

Wednesday: left overs

Thursday: wednesday: greek pannzannella salad 89 https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/memb ... n-52169161 - I cut it in half
and I made spanakopita to freeze some appetizers for later. (freezing on a cookie tray now) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... pe-1948859 (it took me a while to learn how to work with phyllo dough (now I am fast and the dough doesn't dry)

Friday: scallops-(made a bit of sauce with it - shallots, white wine, chicken stock and a touch of butter) potato/leek and celery root puree - sounds fancy but is really mashed potatoes with veggies (as I have celery root that needs using) Easy meal in reality. dd older will be here. did not take long to make.

Saturday: who knows - a new adventure. baking day left overs - take the mash potatoes and make patties - add egg/flour/garlic powder/s/p - turns out there wasn't enough left over - so rethink that, leftover salad,
freeze the soup that we had done :D
froze one serving of bacon/squash/farro thingy :D
cooking meatloaf as it is dh's favourite - I have found that I don't eat much meat anymore and I am heavier on the veggies. Water is boiling for the brussels sprouts, I need to slice up beets and heat with a little thyme, butter. I will make the cucumber salad for tomorrow.

Sunday: menu planning - learning to cut recipes in half.
snack: hummus and veggies
garbanzo beans with spices
make apple muffins

next week I need to use up onions - thinking Alsatian onion pie. the other halves of the peppers have to be used

what I have left in fridge that needs using: cooked beets, cucumber 1-1/2 (make cucumber salad), lettuce, parsnips/carrots, peppers
tangerines, old bananas again, 1 avocado, onions, in freezer stock, d mom gave me veal - I don't eat feel but dd older likes it so I will make it for her and give it to her. veggie burgers, veggie chicken strips, chicken burgers 2, chicken ground, sole, acorn squash, potatoes, grapes, fruit I have to cook down bc its' going to go bad. package of shaved turkey - I do like that once in a while. (in other words I hope to not spend any money on groceries this week), 1/2 a jar of kalamata olives (tapenade?)

I need to check cilantro and parsley to see where it is on the spoilage level.
I will need a chuck of parmesan eventually - since it doesn't seem to bother us. goat cheese and feta also seems to be okay. (probably in our imagination)

hardest habit to break: cheese I love cheddar cheese etc. so limiting it is hard. but my family and including myself as i have aged have struggled with the effects on all of us.

future: I need to use my jarred red pepper

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:05 pm

sunday: last night we ate out - because I just couldn't cook with the migraine - I had a cup of onion soup without the bread and cheese - a caesar salad - they call it a half but its large and a piece of salmon broiled, a slice of their multi grain bread.

Monday: not looking forward to what I am cooking but it would be sin to toss it. dh/dd's like it but I won't buy it... my mom bought this veal and left it for me from her freezer - I needed to use things up in my freezer and this was there. so for them - veal piccata, I have carrots/parsnips to cook so that will be tonight also. turns out the veal was rotten (it must have happened when my d mom froze it). so I had to toss it. I have chicken in the fridge defrosting for tuesday - everything was measured and prepped already do it will be okay for use tomorrow.

leftovers for monday then

for lunch I am having left over salad, left over beets in the salad and a boiled egg slice.

today I have to go to the grocery store - stay focused don't buy much!

onion alsatian pie, cucumber salad, maybe a carrot salad. freeze the remainder of the onion pie for another time.

this week: terrine of grilled veggies and goat cheese on arugula

soup of the week: chorizo veggie soup. http://www.donalskehan.com/recipes/toma ... kpea-soup/ the video shows how to make it.I guess I could leave the chorizo out but all of us like that bit of spice.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:10 pm

tuesday: alsacienne onion pie.
carrot salad
cucumber salad
:arrow: I wasn't feeling well.

make the chicken piccata for the freezer for another day. Looking at vegetarian book - america's kitchen for veggie ideas = I am wondering how I could take the piccata and use it on veggies... or beans. things to think about.

I did something bad for lunch - I have never done chick fillet but I bought grilled chicken for myself

breakfast: ezekiel toast and sunflower butter
Last edited by blessedw2 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:34 pm

made the onion pie
made dinner for tomorrow night
made banana bread
took the left over fruit almost gone and cooked it with a bit of sugar and raspberry liquor (a touch) for oatmeal in the morning sometime

I made sliced cucumbers instead of a salad - I will make a carrot salad and cucumber salad for tomorrow (it's better fresher)

cut up a bunch of veggies for white bean and basil dip I bought for tomorrows lunch

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:51 pm

tonight the chicken piccata I made yesterday
will make the cucumber salad I was going to make yesterday (will do this morning)
I have to cook the carrots and parsnips
for me 3 ounces of chicken tonight.

rest of this week:
things I want to add
veggie goat cheese terrine and arugula salad (can be made in morning) with simple french dressing. basically cut veggies thin and long - brush on a bit of olive oil/ salt pepper - grill on both sides - put aside
get a very small bread pan or another rectangle container - covered with plastic wrap or parchment
layer grilled veggies over lapping bottom to sides (leaving some for the top hanging over the side
I use eggplant first, roast red pepper, zucchini, red onion,etc. - any veggie you have. I don't like spinach in it. I like savoury. I put over the veggies layers on the bottom. you can also have roasted carrots but they tend to stick but cooked carrots (not mushy) are good. put herbed goat cheese in the middle spread. layers if you want. wrap over the veggies hanging over the top. cover with the plastic wrap. put a soup can on top and let it sit in fridge all day or day before. put clean arugula/rocket on the bottom of a salad plate. undo the terrine and be careful when you slice (I use a serrated knife - and place on slab of terrine in the middle of the arugula - one serving per person. use a dijon french vinaigrette - olive oil, s/p, chopped fine red onion, parsley, apple cider vinegar or any vinegar you like and dijon mustard as an emulsifier. Some people like garlic but I don't in this dressing.
Looks pretty and is nice for a dinner with a nice soup or french bread on the side. http://www.tastespotting.com/detail/658 ... se-Terrine - here is a picture of one with multiple layers

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:15 pm

tried a new sauce for chicken - after cooking pounded chicken breasts that was salted and peppered - seared 2- 3 min on each side. I put the chicken on a plate. I threw in a chopped shallot, tomato paste, dried oregano, cooked a minute - put in red wine and a bit of chicken stock and 1/2 a jar of sun-dried tomatoes and cooked it down a bit - added a tab of butter and put the chicken breast back in. Just to make sure the chicken was done.

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”