What's for Dinner?

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
blessedw2

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:29 am

how was it d elly? I am finding making dinner really helps my family all the around

tonight is chicken in wine, roasted veggies, salad
it is always a joy to be here with you!

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:05 pm

blessed...It was surprisingly good and so simple. Dh really liked it.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:06 pm

My meal for dd33's family's visit, and at the same time a friend of dd14's visiting, was a tough choice. HRH is trying to eat vegetarian for a while and was saying, well, he just wouldn't join us. I hated that so tried vegan fish fillets (found in the frozen section of the healthy food store) and for bread, vegan ginger scones. I steamed broccoli and made a wild rice and quinoa rice dish. The rice dish needed a lot of salt - hadn't thought about how much salt is probably already in many of the wild rice prepared boxes we've had in the past. Next time I would change the main dish to the vegan crab cakes from that freezer section rather than fillets. When we'd tried them first they were better, but they were all out that day. I think people must be taking this linked review seriously and buying all they see. It's an ideal choice when you have a guest who wants to stay vegetarian, but you're not used to cooking that way.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Mon. is our chicken day around here may change it up a bit today however!
Deviled eggs are made.
I've thawed out veggies had some for lunch too.
Salad also here.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:28 pm

It is soup day here since I didn't want to go grocery shopping in the rain/snow/sleet today. This is what I came up with...3 potatoes, an onion, a can of "healthy" cream of chicken plus one can of water, and a can of "healthy" cream of cheddar plus one can of skim milk. Mix all that, add lots of pepper, then throw in a cup of frozen peas towards the end of cooking time. This and the chocolate cake I made should satisfy Dh until I can get to the store!
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:38 pm

I have been out of my card file and planning with the painting and cut up schedule. I have been cooking but not "real" meals.

today: making a lentil dish - I will tell you how it goes later.

I am trying hard to follow whole grain cooking too more often.

I did make a really good (really bad for you) hollandaise sauce the other day with poached eggs and ham.
and I found that roasting asparagus with french herbs and olive oil a bit is also very good (herbs de provence) and easy to make. I trimmed them after washing and drying... put them on a large cooking sheet with some olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs de provence and mixed them up.. turned them during cooking and used a knife to see when tender. I don't like asparagus normally but I liked this.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 pm

I have for me: sea bass in paper with wine, shallots, capers, lemon - no carbs , for dd's and dh I bought a made already lasagna (small) from our local Italian place, asparagus roasted, Italian bread toasted with rubbed garlic and bruschetta (from same italian place)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Fish salad and veggies for us for dinner.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:13 am

sounds lovely d nancy!

yesterday I made scallops (cooked in 2 tbl olive oil and a tbl of butter (cooking 10 large scallops dried with paper towel (not soaked in chemical water) cook about 3 -4 min each side in a hot pan (brown Usually 4 the first time and 3 the next - depends on the size of scallops as scallops can go rubbery easily so check)- sauce white wine, shallots, smashed whole clove of garlic, deglaze with wine and cook a bit , added tomato paste, cook a bit, add a touch of cream, s/p to taste. (strain sauce) pour over already cooked scallops (if you want toss add some shreds of basil for decoration)

(sometimes I cook the shallots and garlic until shallots are tender and then add the tomato paste to caramelize then add wine, reduce, then add cream (some add butter before cream but I wanted not such a thick sauce)
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Last night was my veggie night bean burritos and cooked squash here.

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”