What's for Dinner?

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
ellyphant

What's for Dinner?

Postby ellyphant » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:57 pm

Did a little prep work tonight for Sunday dinner tomorrow. We'll have green beans, mashed potatoes (red ones with the skins on) and a small turkey breast that I plan to cook in the crockpot. Dessert is coconut cream pie (made the crust, but the filling is from a can). Suddenly, I am reminded of Grandpa Jones on Hee-Haw. :D

Anyone else want to share your menu? When I worked in an office 25 years ago, sharing meal plans was one thing we always did. I miss that, so thought maybe we could post about such things here. Wasn't there a thread like this on the old OH boards?
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

OKay

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby OKay » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:28 am

Love this thread!

In my corner of this big ole round world, the word "dinner" is rarely used. We have Breakfast, lunch and supper. :) Sooooo - I'm not sure whether to tell what we are having for lunch or for supper. :lol: :roll: Okay - I looked for the definition of dinner which only confused me more. Can you tell I am easily sidetracked??

Breakfast = Strawberry smoothies
Lunch = General Tso chicken (Chinese take out on the way home from church)
Supper = Lasagna and salad

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:41 am

We call it "supper", here too! I only use the word dinner for our main meal after church on Sunday--haha!! Call it what you will...just tell us about it!

Your Chinese take-out looks good. Half the time, we are having grilled cheese sandwiches and/or soup around here after church. I just happened to plan better this week...

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:06 am

Last night we enjoyed take out deli chicken for dinner I made a salad and cooked corn on the cob to go with it and diet root beer floats yummy special meal for our ann. a bit late but enjoyed it none the less.

Lunch was 1/4 of a 12" sub. style sandwich.

My fav. breakfast this week was home made granola.

I put bits of the cauliflower stems in the freezer to use for soup/stew later on in the year. I've got pumpkin I cut up to use like sweet potato fries that we need to use; in foil they can be cooked on the grill.

Snacks will be diet cherry dr. pepper floats when grand kids are over this week.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:33 am

Nancy, deli chicken meal sounds good. We like that here, too. Love diet Dr. P. Last summer, we found a store brand called Dr. Perky. Thought that was a great name.

Tonight I am making the crockpot turkey breast meal again for DD's arrival. It was good and easy on Sunday, so that bears repeating!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:00 am

Thanks Ellyp.
Some things were having this week.
Diet doc. pepper is called Dr. thunder something at w-mart I think. Twist is the lemon lime one.

Today grands will be here so we will use cake mix to make chocolate cookies for home made ice cream sandwiches.
I got a gallon of Neapolitan so we are having ice cream for snacks.
Grands helped make blueberry muffins yesterday for their snack they had the floats.

I made up deviled eggs last night. Got eggs so I can make up more they do seem to be a hit around here.

Box cheese pizzas for lunch and some turkey sausage for those that want meat.

We had salad with chicken salad like tuna salad san. filling only made w/ chicken it was a hit.
Any thing cold is good this time of year.

:idea:
I need to do up some sweet potato fries to use up some of them in the freezer so I can put up
the ones were are growing this year. [Gave some to dgd to take home with.]

More salad with the cherry tomatoes that are ripe.
Apples are ripe too so I chopped some up on the salad a bit green but they were good for fiber.
Picked red currents for snacks while we were out in the yard.
Egyptian onions are ripe and we like 'em with the meat etc.

I made up humus and have been enjoying that this week.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OKay

Postby OKay » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:46 am

I'm using inspiration from ellyphant menu. Putting a whole chicken in crock pot this morning to cook all day then will debone and use it tomorrow. Maybe I'll make some of it to make Nancy Chicken Salad. :D

Breakfast = Egg, 1/2 slice of bacon, 1/2 of hot link, 1/2 of pear, 10 red grapes
Lunch - BBQ sandwich, pork rinds
Supper - Green salad and more of that awesome dish created yesterday to use garden vegetables (tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, hot peppers all cut into small chunks and marinated in 1 T of mayo, 1 T lemon juice and ranch dressing seasonings. YUMMY!)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:09 pm

I cooked meat ball sized amounts of turkey sausage in muffin tin a couple had eggs in them
the sausage cooked faster than the egg. In any case these will be for later on in the weekend h. likes to chop it up in his Sat. omelet.

I boiled up more eggs to devil.

Saved the broth in the anything soup container for left overs and odds & ends to put in the crock pot.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Tip for today get the small boxes of sugary cereal for grand kids instead of the big box ~ less to tempt us granny types to eat that. This can work for as "breakfast for lunch" or dinner and the grands think it's so special especially if they "help" you shop for it. The empty boxes can be put in the play area on a shelf house for pretend store shopping & cooking when they play as well. [Same goes for Jiffy muffin mixes.] Grands talked me into froze box cheese pizza the other day when they were here. I'm saving the points for school supplies off the box for them.

A cereal story dd gave us some healthy [less sodium] cereal h. insists on eating his fav. raisin bran. I said to eat the other first said he did not like the flakes w/ out raisins I showed him where the raisin were so he could add them not done.

Some of these healthy corn flakes will be dinner next week when if its still hot nothing like cold any thing for dinner in hot weather. It tastes great to me.

I ate the last cookie before mowing for breakfast this morning LOL! Also had deviled egg and cold sausage. So glad I remembered to back up those carbs w/ protein.

Bean burrito day for dinner this p.m. the special at our local taco stand.
I'm thawing pork steaks out to grill this weekend.
:idea:
Dgd like the humus that I made so well she wrote down the recipe to take home and called again to get it correct to give her mom said her mom LOVES humus!

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:55 pm

I'll join in.

Today - Tuesday

Chicken fingers
Brussels Sprouts
Vegetable De Jour
German Potato Salad

Diabetic Dessert

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”