What's for Dinner?

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
Harriet

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:16 pm

An unexpected trip to the library at a different location gave me time to check out some books.

Guess what, blessed!?! They had:

The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook from America's Test Kitchen
so I grabbed it. My, it's a big one, isn't it? Thanks for mentioning it. Hey, we're reading the same book!
Also
Happy Herbivore Light and Lean, the 3rd in the Happy Herbivore series but first I've seen. Just glancing it seems great, photos are good, although she is certainly not shy about using sugars/molasses etc. Also one chapter is exercise - unexpected.
And
Bravo! health promoting meals from the Truenorth Health Center Truenorth is for people who are avoiding salt, oils and sugar as they begin solid foods again following medical fasting. They evidently hired a celebrated chef (Bravo is his last name) who manages to make the meals really special for them, and people who aren't even patients come in to eat. This is actually one I had on my A-River cart, waiting for a decision (or money!)

And 1 for HRH, with mixed results
The 100 Best Vegan BAKING Recipes, which I thought HRH would get a kick out of. Serious baker discussions about binders and emulsifiers, about yeast, also how to expect different leavening and flours to change structure. Right up his alley. One disappointment when I got home - there are no photos inside, only small ones outside. Hmmmm... .. Recipes sound great, but without visuals it's more textbook than inspiration. He says he will browse it, though.

Complete Fail -
(brought home Thug Kitchen, which has bad language and I'd never buy for myself, but has some good reviews and I thought HRH might read some. He said just take it right back - such dirty talk, to his mind, would equal dirty food preparation, so he says the book is useless to him. Oh well, I didn't think he would be that much against it but I guess I didn't scan carefully enough at library to see all the negative words in print. He was completely turned off, making a face as if the recipes already tasted bad.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:10 am

sung to dinah song.

someone's in the kitchen with harriet
someone's in the kitchen I know o o o
someone's in the kitchen with harriet
its me o o o

so bad!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:15 am

wonderful d harriet!!! i found it interesting - my first dish was the poblano enchiladas ... I made it for a group and the loved it .. i learned to shortened the process the more I cooked it.. I actually use an organic green enchilada sauce with the ingredients for the sauce instead of the roasted tomatillos - much easier. I found finding canned tomatillos really hard to find.

i always wonder when cooks use that approach - i know that cooking can be in rough environments - I read anthony bourdains book - actually kind of shocking ...

I can't wait to hear how you like those books - I looked up true north... is that the cookbook from canada?

Dd younger has a great opportunity - the Italian deli by us has lessons but has offered to let dd younger to come into the kitchen and learn basic italian sauces and how to make fresh mozzarella and other dishes. what an opportunity - she is thrilled.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:51 pm

That would be wonderful to get to do that! I can see how she would be thrilled about it.

Truenorth is one word. They are in northern Calif I believe. Here is the book on A-river.

Tonight we're having tacos. HRH wants hard shell but I'm going to try some rice tortillas I found, so we'll have both. Romaine lettuce shredded, and red onion.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:32 am

mmm sounds great d harriet! cool book!

we ate out yesterday... I need to stay home and good.. we are having mexican tonight ... following your lead d harriet

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:46 am

I took dd older out to a nice restaurant since dd younger went out of town yesterday- she had duck and I had walleye with capers and lemon and a thimble size couscous and veggies

It's raining here and I might do a soup / frittata as well

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:55 pm

We had take-out because dstepson's family was with us. Oriental. Good choices in some ways but the sodium is high.

HRH picked out the Pho (Thai or Vietnamese soup) recipe from Dr. Campbell's site, and made out a grocery list for it. I picked up everything today to make it tomorrow. I did find coriander seeds but had to settle for cardamom ground, rather than pods, which they didn't have. Also we are leaving off the red chili pepper for personal taste. Hope it will be good. Unusual, but a favorite of his, and the recipe looks very authentic.

In authentic versions, it is an inexpensive "poor man's" meal from the garden only, although in US restaurants it will usually have some meat since cooks want to please our culture. I have a feeling he will want to make it himself. but I'll help with cutting up veggies. The site has a video of making it, right on the recipe page, which is nice.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:40 am

d harriet! I am learning so much from you! Please tell me how you like the soup.
so neat!!!

I ate lunch at a vegetarian restaurant yesterday (I was out and I hadn't had breakfast or lunch and it was 2 - it was a choice between junk food or real food - so I chose real food. I did get something for dd older - they also make fish - but it was really bad. But my lunch was fantastic... it was cabbage potato soup (vegetarian) and a grilled mushroom sandwich/veggies on gluten free bread along with a small red cabbage slaw on the side with a hint of orange zest (not a cream base) really good.

I am making a salad tonight - also baking some chickpeas with spices on them for snacks.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:11 am

i don't know what happened to me yesterday... I had steak... I don't even like steak but I had a yearning for steak. I had about two ounces and that was enough. I now am rather grossed out that I ate steak yesterday but today I have not a taste or a want for meat. weird ;) dd older thinks its because I have been sick.

Also had potato and asparagus

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:35 pm

I am making barbecue chicken (not sure If I will eat that- I will see how I feel)
bbq beans again (made for the freezer) measure out
cucumber, veggies sliced up.

for lunch I had a sante fe veggie burger with lettuce tomato and a bit of cheddar. I still want to strain and press some tofu for tomorrows salad

pulled out rick bayless book that dd younger bought and the other Mexican book she bought for tomorrow night. I have tomatillo's left, jalapeño (red) but need cilantro and red onion. plus corn tortillas (I want to try making my own one day)http://www.rickbayless.com there is always a wait for his restaurant and he has a show on PBS sometimes. He has a garden on his roof that he uses for the menu. Kind of neat.

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”