What's for Dinner?

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
blessedw2

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:58 pm

tonight made cabbage, grandmere's potato salad, brats for dh/dd
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:39 pm

my grandmothers potato salad was very good
cabbage - too watery - I let it go too long

last night we ate out - planed it. Not my favourite place but enjoyed the time with dds
dh doesn't like going out to eat at night and that's ok

ate out tonight

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:06 pm

Mexican vermicelli Am. Test kitchen (meatless) wasn't that crazy about this dish (brown rice would be better) dd older and dh loved it.
salad with corn, zucchini, tomatoes, black beans, scallions, avocado, with lime dressing. maybe jalepeno and cilantro

we went out two nights - dd younger - "do you mind if we have real food" she thought we were eating out. ;)

for dh/dd older - chicken tenders on panini maker - marinate in lime/veg oil/adobo
Last edited by blessedw2 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 am

you have no idea how much I want to be here... I haven't taken time for dinners (good dinners/healthier) and it is not a great thing for all of us. I will be cooking again Friday or maybe thursday. dd younger flies (fingers crossed) to florida (my d mom has visitors coming and dd will help her so she does't stress too much.. plus heat is great for dd's body)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:49 am

blessed, I'm sorry your household has had so much to deal with - very true that then that reflects on how much brain-power we have (not to mention time) to prepare what we really want to eat.

I had heartburn/acid relux last evening for the first time in years. Almost couldn't remember where the Ga viscon was, and in fact I noted that the container is out of date so we need to buy some. One half dose worked for me and I slept right away.

But I know what I did - ate a very acid tomato sauce with supper and a piece of chocolate for dessert. Evidently, 3 hours was not enough time to then lie down without pain. I was so sad to hear this a.m. that HRH had the same experience, just not at the same time I did, so we didn't realize it about each other until morning. Lesson learned. Suppers must not be overly laced with acid-causing items - lunch, that's probably fine, but not the later meal.

Mexican is up tonight, I think, but I have no worries. We know the sauces for that don't bother us. Also, no more chocolate pieces! Rice with the meal. Possibly tacos tonight, although fajitas sound good. I do have two beautiful bell peppers that would make fajitas special. Thinking.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:31 am

It makes so much sense about the reason for your heartburn. It made me think about when I have it and that makes so much sense!
I was thinking about fajitas tonight for us too. Do you use only veggies in your fajitas or tofu or beans???

Yes, being preoccupied and not planning takes away from my family, and especially myself, eating healthy.
today I am pulling my weight watcher counter and plan meals ahead because what I have been doing the last 2 weeks has not been working. I love to have dinner ready but I have to plan and prep ahead to make it work on busy weeks.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:06 am

dd younger is not home so I am feeding the remainder - no vegetarian for them.
I did find a good looking dish from Jaimie Oliver Sage & Leek and mushroom pie with cheddar cheese and poppy seed pastry
when dd younger comes back I will put that in my menu for the week.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:47 pm

The thing we always enjoy most in the fajitas is plenty-plenty bell pepper strips and onion strips. We pile these on. Sometimes we add a little of the veggie-chicken you can find frozen. That is more of a processed food, but the shape and texture is fun. For tacos, beans, some tofu, - all good. I like Romaine for making quick work of the prettiest pile of lettuce for tacos. Easy slicing and ruffle-y. Tacos give a chance to enjoy uncooked onions - very healthy.

Tried a specific short-grain brown rice tonight, and was impressed with the look of the dish - it's like a different thing. HRH said it looked as if we were trying an unusual ancient grain. LOL! I guess we're just so used to long-grain, and of course any time you add wild rice like we most often do, those grains are very long. This was the Lund berg brand of short-grain brown and I thought the taste and texture would be a good choice for a lot of meal types - just right for Mexican.

Actually, I do want to try some unusual grains - I just haven't gotten around to it. We had farro at the WF buffet line and enjoyed that a lot and I imagine it's no big deal to make it. It's just that every grocery won't have it.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:30 am

I love your cooking and trying new things. I will have to think about fajitas differently than meat/sour cream etc.
re: farrow - I make it and it is super easy - it's like making brown rice (regarding time involved). I have a recipe that uses butternut squash, onions but it uses chicken stock and I would think that veggie stock would work the same.

I have been trying to lean down recipes bc of WW - as a cook, I am amazed on how you are able to make such beautiful meals d harriet without loosing the taste.

I am having to change my thinking and it is hard for me. But always positive and pushing forward. :D

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:06 am

last night frittata, goat cheese and parmesan on top - filled with onion, zucchini, basil, s/p
fresh strawberries

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”