What's for Dinner?

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
Harriet

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Forgot to report on the Pho. Thumbs up!

We're happy and see a lot of promise in it - want to keep tinkering with it to get closer to the taste we enjoy in restaurants. The recipe (link I gave) does seem very true to our restaurant memories, especially the aroma :o which would make anyone believe they'd just walked into a really nice Thai or Vietnamese restaurant. After eating we had walked outside and when we walked back in we were amazed at the wonderful aroma.

Things we will change next time include: replace the harsh-tasting radishes with celery, decrease ginger, increase soy sauce, and add chopped peanuts as a final garnish like Thai restaurants do. The garnishes are very beautiful, btw - 5 different ingredients that you don't simmer but use to garnish the bowls: mint, cilantro, bean sprouts, red onion, scallions.

A little wire basket or tea brewing gadget/infuser is nice to corral the whole cloves in this recipe (and maybe some other spices that seem large, if you'd like) that are not really for eating, but it's not absolutely necessary. Cinnamon sticks are easily removed, of course. Flat rice noodles are simpler to serve and eat when broken up some first.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:40 pm

d harriet: I can imagine the smell of your dish all away over here... Wonderful!!!
So so good. I like how you are able to work with recipes to your family's tastes. Well done d harriet.
Sounds delicious - I like rice noodles as well.

tonight: I am thinking mexican but it depends if they have some of the ingredients I am looking for. Cilantro and poblanos.
I have cut up veggies from last night to munch on during the day.

I need to add fruit to my diet... I forget it constantly

made : green chile adobo - first time parsley, cilantro, garlic roasted, roasted Serrano peppers (took out seeds),salt, olive oil zapped in blender I added lime juice

Rick Bayless: creamy zucchini, corn and roasted poblanos for taco's or side (I have left over zucchini and corn, greek yogurt that needs using). I used this for my tacos - no meat for me - he has the cook make a poblano base of onion, poblanos, plus mexican oregano, s/p, garlic and add zucchini and corn.

for dd older and dh (broiled fish for fish tacos) with seasonings, radishes, cilantro, , red onions finely chopped, avocado. They topped their tacos with the corn/poblano (without yogurt) and the chile adobo. The really liked it.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:51 am

broiled walleye with lemon on side

nice salad - I have left over veggies from yesterdays tacos plus baby arugula and romaine

dressing Rick bayless: 2 chipotle peppers (from can), 1 roasted a red pepper (made the day before) peeled and seeded. 4 garlic cloves peeled that I put in hot water at 1 minute and let set a couple minute, 1/3 cup white wine vinegar, 2/3 cup olive oil, salt, 2 tbl approx of greek yogurt: put in blender first on chop and then on fine blend. we really like this

I have brown rice - from frozen, with left over green adobo from yesterday

I bought the eggs for this weekend - quiches, I need to buy crusts (I don't want to take my time), quiche one: lorraine (need bacon, gruyere 2 cups, quiche 2 mmmm not sure. quiche 3 poblano/or jalapeño, onion, ??? quiche (trying to figure out how to make it) Need to buy carrots, I have red onion and parsley for one salad. bought cheese for one quiche this am.

I don't want to be cooking Friday so I may make soup Wednesday for Friday.

I have some things I have to use

dh bought flour tortillas instead of corn (I forgot those at the store) ... we don't usually eat those so I threw those in the freezer until I figure out what to do with them.

TOOK 20 MINUTES TO MAKE DINNER

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:15 am

lunch: yogurt and fresh fruit.
dinner: - had to move this as I was exhausted and slept 2 days

Friday: april 14, 2017 Make minestrone -made this morning (cooking now) - was really really good - problem is that it uses pancetta and chicken broth not veggie broth but it was still excellent I am sure I could have kept the pancetta out and used veggie broth but I like chicken broth better. I had some in the freezer that I made up 2 months ago.
made regular salad
I am having problems with over eating at night

Sunday: My mother's carrot salad (vinaigrette), 2 quiches maybe a poblano dish
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:57 am

dd younger is flying home tonight

butcher: chicken kabobs for the grill

I have tomatillos that need using.. so make a mild salsa for the chicken made up my own recipe that I thought was good... I had 7 left over tomatillos that I broiled/blackened a bit on each side in about 6 inches away from broiler. Threw the cooked tomatillos with their left over juices into blender with about an 1/8 cup water, a handful of loosely chopped cilantro, 1/2 a lime juiced, 1/2 a canned jalapeño salt, and gave it a good whiz, then threw some minced red onion and gave it one or two whirs no more. (we all liked it a lot - not spicy at all)

cucumber salad

tomato salad with basil dressing (from lemonade cookbook - never tried it before)

I have tofu to use up. I am looking for a vegetarian rice meatball that I can use the tofu in maybe. http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/how-make ... taste-good - I am not sure if this is any good.. but I won't know until I try.

both dd's will be here overnight - so I will make some banana bread for tomorrow morning.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:14 am

easter menu for my part

carrot salad
quiche lorraine (very good)
store bought spinach quiche
poblano, onion, jalapeno, cilantro quiche really good but mild. I wonder what I would change?
oj

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:20 pm

we ended up using left overs when we got bc no one in the family wanted dinner which was more than okay.

today: april 18 d sil gave me the ham bone so I am making a lentil soup (Ina's lentil with sausage but with out the sausage)
[b]lyonnaise salad or salad nicoise without the anchovies or tuna -/b] as well

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:36 am

turns out d aunt wants to go to dinner tonight. I really want to eat at home but it's important to d aunt.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 am

I pulled the vegetarian book out for this week - since the family is gone I want to do some experimenting - I will cut the recipes into 4ths.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:23 am

I have been eating terrible since dd younger left.. :shock: I need to cook just for me and not wait until I am hungry. (then I eat junk)
I tossed lots of stuff out of my fridge. I am eliminating most cheeses - kept parmesan .. goat cheese... feta as they don't seem to bother me much

I have been eating by the tv.. wrong
so I have to go back to eating at the table.

I had to compost (our city has a container for that) old veggies I haven't used. My fridge is empty.

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”