What's for Dinner?

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
blessedw2

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:09 am

last night I made halibut for dh/dd older
broccoli

I cheated with something awful - a comfort food because I was hungry earlier and then I cheated again last night - but that day is over and I feel stronger.

dd younger made a great dish by Happy Pear (the world of the Happy Pear)
a pad thai without nuts and mushrooms (not her favourite)
healthy and full of veggies - I am always amazed how many veggie dishes are delicious.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:49 pm

this week:

Mexican fish tacos with slaw with lime vinaigrette

Flavour Bomb Salad, chicken chorizo, Halloumi, chick peas
Donal Skehan

BBQ Jerk Chicken with mango salsa Donal

Butternut squash with barley, salad, walleye for dh

chili corn bread

Potato veg croquette and for dh/dd older: potato Ham Veg Croquettes
maybe a veggie soup with pistou

Polenta and roast veggies

frozen ravioli and the previous sauce I made also in freezer (thinking of adding veggies to sauce)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:13 pm

I haven't made wine poached pears in a while and I am thinking of doing those soon.

today: roasted veggies with herbs
made fleishkierla from left over steak
made the base for the potato croquettes (didn't make them last time)
I made salad dressing for the salad we bought the day before yesterday

tomorrow: fish taco's - I need to make pico de gallo tomorrow - dd older will make her lime cilantro cole slaw - no dairy

dd younger bought some kale - mmm I wonder what she is going to make

I am trying to cook in am again. (At least the prep)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue May 01, 2018 10:46 pm

hi, blessed. Mmmmmmm..... croquettes! Sounds yummy. Yes, I think kale has one of the most pleasant tastes among the greens.

The story in our house is fruit, as I learn to cut pineapple attractively and also other fruit like kiwi and mango so far. Planning shopping trips for more variety this week. HRH says he is totally spoiled after my experiments with 2 large fresh pineapples and can't possibly go back to any other kind. He says fresh pineapple is positively added to our meals line-up now, such as pineapple fried rice . 8-)

With input from family, especially dstepson, I've decided to follow this lady's method for cutting and serving pineapple for a buffet, although I will cut the top away because I want more space on the platter for a variety of fruit. Dstepson doesn't like pineapple, and in fact doesn't even like the look of it. So he turned out to be the perfect subject - the method he found attractive, that almost tempted him to try a slice (smile) was definitely the one. He says maybe he'll try eating some of the next one!

A new set of paring knives specifically meant for fruit has turned out to be a good purchase for my kitchen, at about $10. Requires extra safety thinking, but definitely the right tools.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:47 pm

oooo pineapple fried rice - sounds marvellous! I am so hungry right now and that sounds like what I would love to have for dinner right now! I want to try that!.

You are not going to believe this but at our wedding (years ago :D ) we had pineapple like that (without the top) - they called it pineapple boats!

what do you put in your pineapple fried rice? I would love to know.

those knives are pretty cool. I always love hearing about your cooking!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:23 pm

clean planet mushroom and swiss chicken pattie on la tortilla low carb whole wheat tortilla with lettuce and tomato, dijon mustard - really tasty
watermelon 1/2 a cup
total 3 points on ww

chicken breast skewers with chimichurri sauce 3 ounces me
asparagus
cut peppers colourful bc I have to use them up

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:59 pm

Have been working on full-meal-salads. First a base of variety greens, the more the merrier. One idea is adding corn and beans for a "Tex-Mex" salad as suggested by Dr.Fuhrman to make it a larger meal. I just cut the kernels off the cob of a fresh ear - if it's raw that's fine, or cooked leftover. We chop in red onion almost every time - so good for us. Tomato diced if I have it. Walnuts that are chopped are perfect for nearly any type of salad - doesn't have to be for one with any other particular ingredient. Favorite finish topping after tossing with dressing lately has been orange bits and a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut over that to get attention. Have yet to find anyone who sees that and doesn't want a serving of the salad. You can get someone to eat collards and kale in a salad if you show them there's tidbits of orange and sprinkled coconut! ;)

I've stopped worrying quite so much about the salad dressing, for which my preference would be "less is more" anyway! I think my time is better spent getting a quantity of healthy ingredients in there, rather than fretting over a perfect healthy dressing when I'm not even going to use much. The other day, with a beautiful salad but no dressing made, I took a Chick-Fil-A sauce packet and just used that! Color was good, anyway! How much more important to get all those good foods into us than to obsess over the exact qualities of a little dressing. When I can, I make a dressing up in advance. Tried one with avocado and it was good, but the surface started to turn brown when I refrigerated half for later - next time I stored in a baggie with no extra air allowed and it was better. I imagine lemon juice would retard the oxidation, too.

blessed
, for fried rice I use water saute-ing rather than oil frying, something likethis lady shows, but we do not use green peas since HRH doesn't find that appetizing for some reason. I use less garlic. An addition lately has been cilantro. It is a favorite of his (and adds back some green!). I've found if I use scallions as well, I can get a little green into the dish, which is what people expect from fried rice, and it looks so fresh. For fun (and green), I have tried taking part of a cucumber and cutting thin strips of the peel away, slicing thin and garnishing like restaurants do! To get the pretty "look" of comfort-food rice, I've found the sprouted brown short-grain is a good choice. I use low-sodium soy sauce.

To make it pineapple, I just put fresh pineapple in near the end to warm it - if there's a better trick to that, I don't know it! lol works for me.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:32 am

thank you d harriet!!!

I love salad meals!
Last edited by blessedw2 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:46 pm

my dd younger made a really good salsa (she did it for the crab cakes suggested) but on it's on it was lovely.

from the book D eep D own R oots
1/2 med red onion minced 3 tel lemon juice - (let this sit for a bit) 2 cups blueberries, 2 cups fresh corn, 1 med tomato diced, 1/4 cup cilantro, 1 T chopped mint, 2 T olive oil, 1 tsp. salt serve one hour later.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:49 pm

loving dd youngers new cookbook listed above... by Viv ian How ard

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”