What's for Dinner?

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
blessedw2

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 am

today:
I have vegetarian chorizo Seitan defrosting, plus a small amount of veg chicken strips) and I have corn tortillas that need using. Trying to decide for me brown rice and this stuff and veggies or - girls will both be here so I am thinking more like a salad. (I will see if dd older and dh will eat the chorizo Seitan)
always an experiment with not eating meat products for my family. I always loved science and when I cook, I feel like I am in a lab and my family are my Guinea pigs (evil giggle) 8-)

I have everything but lettuce - which I will get today.

I love checking out menu's - years ago (its kind of far for me) I went her and we loved it
https://www.blindfaithcafe.com love their menu's all vegetarian and really delicious food
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 pm

found that we really like Upton Chorizo seitan - even dh -

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Funny about the lab, blessed. HRH is such a picky eater, he would make a very finicky Guinea pig. Interested to hear your thoughts about the Seitan meal. The only thing I like at chick fillet any more is their kale side dish, which is quite nice. They use too much salt. I bet your chicken meal was much better than the take-out of chick fillet.

I guess it finally got so cold that I have been replacing my beloved coleslaw these cold days with cooked greens, in as much variety as I happen to have on hand. I add a squeeze of lemon after removing from the water, also sprinkling salt on the surface, so not too much salt. Most recently, collards kale and bok choy. I just cut the bok choy stems right into it as well since they are white and give a little contrast, interest. Collards from WF here are packaged in a smart way I think, because they are careful to stack the leaves and so a lot of collards takes up very little room in the fridge.

Friends of HRH did a homemade video just for friends and family to see, of them making one of those boxed full-meal suppers that are delivered to your door with all the fresh ingredients. One item was baby bok choy and honestly, that was one of the most attractive and unusual produce items to have suddenly appear from a box. The 5-year-old in their kitchen at the time wanted to hold one! Will have to ask how they further prepared it, though, because after they followed directions and cut 1/2 inch from each stem end of the "head", their video went out!

I had a frozen prepared macaroni dish prepared that had fancy mushrooms chopped into it very finely. I was thinking - I could do that myself at home.

Sliced avocado onto sandwiches (pretty) and sprinkled with microgreens - I felt so California-like!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:05 pm

I felt so California-like!
I like that! :D
Your greens sound delicious!
You are officially so Cali

I always wondered about those box meals that everything comes prepared and fresh. I don't like it when the end of a video or movie stops. sweet d mil always cut off the sad endings of movies and never told any of the d kids or adults that she did that. We always thought the movies ended happily :D

dd younger got a cook book from a California visit - from the lemonade store. Lots of fresh ideas that I wan to try.

we ate out tonight with d sils d bro and some of the nieces and nephews. We had a lovely time.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:56 am

I don't have a meal planned at all... veggies (ideas only) but no set day - I have to look in my cook books to see what thrills me today.

I found out my d niece has been exhausted lately with a sick 2 year old and working full time so I will bring her some soup and fresh bread, cut up fruit this week.

? have you cooked with mint before. I am not a big mint fan in salads and I see it everywhere now.

pulled sole out of freezer - I definitely will only be eating veggies and grain (risotto) as yesterdays pizza was so heavy

risotto for me, carrot/parsnip finally, left over salad from yesterday

dd younger is making mango curry temph (dd only has tofu) bowl with black rice pasta out of the Happy Pear book https://thehappypear.ie/recipe/mango-te ... urry-bowl/

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:45 am

ended up that dd made the curry and that become dinner. So I didn't have to cook!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 pm

that is a beautiful dish, blessed. She is so ambitious! i can imagine that the aroma was great. Mangoes are the most appetizing fruit, and undoubtedly my favorite. They were gone from our stores for a while, but are back again. Produce guy at WF tells me this is because of the Peruvian harvest starting up - he is very proud of having these to offer. Of course, it is also wise to just buy locally and in season - that's a complicated issue, but I err on the side of getting variety into the diet.

Recipe development progress :D

Homemade creamy/savory dressing (as opposed to a sweeter vinaigrette type, which I'm still working on) - this is what I ended up with after following the general homemade healthier-dressing checklist from Dr. Fuhrman, of always having a nut or nut butter as a blended ingredient, but no other oil. Also he says mustard and garlic in dressings for various healthy reasons, no salt.

Savory Almond Dressing

1/2 C of a nut milk
2 cloves roasted garlic
1/4 C raw almond butter
1 T nutritional yeast (I used Bragg's brand)
1 T lemon juice
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

blend until smooth, store in glass jar in fridge.
Makes about 10 servings.

I label with scotch tape on which I've written with sharpie marker.

Checklist for salad itself - he says daily a tossed salad of a large size (not "side" size), a little raw onion every time (red when possible), and after tossing with the dressing, he asks you to sprinkle a pre-grated cruciferous veggie as an attractive garnish if you don't already have one in the salad, or it just won't be quite as healthy, so I sprinkle my already-chopped cabbage I usually have on hand for slaw, and lately, broccoli microgreens. There are reasons for all these ideas, mostly to do with combinations that contribute to absorbing nutrients.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:52 am

Delicious d Harriet!!!

I didn't know there was Almond Butter! It's so neat what they have out there now!!! I saw the broccoli micro greens at our store but haven't tried it. Do you like it - you must since you put it in your salad. Would you recommend it?

i know I used to make a salad with broccoli and reg raw coleslaw on top of regular salad along with just a few pretzels chopped up -with a balsamic vinaigrette. I have to remember to make that again.

dd younger is making Happy Pear Mexican leek and black bean chile (double recipe) it was fantastic - she topped it with cilantro a lime wedge and a dollop (not really needed) of sour cream https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/20 ... guacamole/ (she didn't make the guacamole for the top) really good meal - dh loved it too (and he is our resident meat, hamburger, sausage, hot dog eater)

I highly recommend this vegetarian dish!

I love when she cooks but not her dishes lol

Happy Cooking d Harriet and all.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:42 pm

poule-au-pot stew (plain but reminiscent of a basic dinner from d grand mere) served with dijon mustard and veggies) you dip the chicken in dijon served with cornichons pickles on side with some good bread and good Alsatian wine)
http://www.bobbyjayonfood.com/2012/12/s ... u-pot.html the bottom two pictures
A very plain dinner but filling. the dijon was even good with the veggies - my body needed simple meal.

i also have to make the cauliflower gribiche as the cauliflower needs cooking = for dinner tomorrow
http://cook123.com/recipes/cauliflower-gribiche.html (i don't use the anchovies) (sometimes I have anchovy paste and use a little little bit for a distinct flavour) (turned out that I didn't have to make it after all)

tomorrow make the terrine as I haven't had the want to do it before. makes a great salad.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:07 am

right now I really don't know what I want to do. Thinking a dutch baby with fruit inside or I don't know.
dh wants a meat of some sort but I really don't want to... I may have to learn to make a bit on the side for dh daily.

I hogged out last night on what the pastry shop gave us extras on - why i do that I will never know.
tonight I need to have veggies cut up early in the day for night time.

I have tortillas that need using - I have to think.

breakfast ezekiel toast with cream cheese
coffee
grapefruit

lunch: 1 skyr key lime yogurt with a tablespoon of dd youngers homemade granola

keep track of water today using d harriet's rubber band method

finally decided what to do:

skillet penne with (sausage for dh/dd's) and broccoli americas test kitchen
spinach salad
finish off the cauliflower

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”