Food Safety discussions, Recall info

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
Harriet

Food Safety discussions, Recall info

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 am

Sometimes we have immediate news on food safety, such as recalls and scares.
Sometimes we just have questions and advice about how to carry foods safely to reunions, pack safe lunchboxes, etc.
Here's a thread to discuss anything from cleaning fridges to illnesses we think may be food poisoning.

Harriet

Re: Food Safety discussions, Recall info

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:01 am

Link for helpful info on safe food handling and recent recalls, interesting articles, found by Indiana.
U.S. Food Safety

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:31 am

The Department of Agriculture in your state may have a website listing recalls. Michigan does, plus an email list you can get on to be notified of all food recalls that affect Michigan residents. http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-50772_50776_2437---,00.html To get the email notifications, go to this page: http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-50772_50776---,00.html

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:35 am

There's a Federal food recall notification list now. Sorry, I ran across it a while back, and signed up, but didn't keep the link.

Seems like everything is being recalled! Almost anything with milk solids is suspect now after the Plainview recall and it's ripples. Are peanuts and peanut butter safe yet?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:28 pm

I've not had trouble with peanuts and or peanut butter
have been eating it again now for a while.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:17 pm

Dole salad has a recall. They market their bagged salad under these names: Fresh Selections, Simple Truth, Marketside, President's Choice, and The Little Salad Bar and may not have the name Dole on it anywhere.

Apparently it is a listeria bug.

Look on your bag in the upper right hand corner. Right under the date is a number, here is their example: A 32809B09:44 but the news tells us anything that begins with the letter A.

I couldn't find the number. I had to get a strong light and magnifying glass out to see it, mine was printed in black ink on a dark blue background.

Dove

Postby Dove » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:21 am

Be cautious if you've recently purchased pistachio nuts. Many are being recalled for Salmonella. We got a courtesy call from S am's with affected UPC numbers & we had one of those bags. Dh had already eaten some & fortunately did not get sick. Still, we won't take any chances & will return the rest of the bag for a refund.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:15 pm

CRF Frozen Foods Recalls Frozen Vegetables Due to Possible Health Risk. I saw something about this on FB this morning. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm497297.htm This is a nationwide and Canada warning.

Here is the main link to the above with another announcement dated 4/24/16 that may affect CVS customers regarding tea sold there. http://www.foodsafety.gov/recalls/recent/
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”