Musings on Meals and Menu Planning

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
blessedw2

Re: Musings on Meals and Menu Planning

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:40 am

nice way of adding veggies!

I am over thinking menu planning this week because we have company coming which means I have to simplify my thinking

Monday through Thursday dd younger has lessons which means bring picnic food with. Keep it simple. I heard Ina Garten only makes 2 of the things and buys a couple things when she is having company...she seems to keep it simple where I always complicate things. (I don't have to have dinners made for dd older as she is on vacation so we can just have picnic food for dd and I and the teacher)

Friday until next week we have company

I will make simple chicken soup for Sunday
so my main worry for menu making is Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday for company

I have to think veggies
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:16 am

dreaming about the cooking I want to try and real meal planning is so different. I have found to I may need to make a new recipe when I have time to make adjustments and not worry about the "dinner" hour.

I am choosing meals right now based on what I have in the fridge.

big mistake (huge mistake of the week) - I bought a lobster tail to try in a lobster salad (I asked how much it was - my ears hear 15.99 a pound... and I thought hey thats not so bad to try a lobster salad for the group. the bill was hi but I thought I had bought other things and was too embarrassed to question the price. I went home and on the package the lobster tail said $52 omgoodness. my pride of being embarrassed led me into a big mistake like this. It turned out to be Australian lobster tail and it was $50 a pound. I couldn't return it because I brought it home. Thank goodness dh is kind. I was so frustrated that my fear of being embarrassed by returning it right away was more than my common sense.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

catnipper

Postby catnipper » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:11 am

I'm learning to cook for 1 and a half -- yes there's such a thing! My daughter is home with me some of the time and sometimes with her fiance. I've found that a meal for 4 people (as I used to cook) will be four meals. Items such as chili, tacos, spaghetti, baked chicken among other things can be made ahead and stored as single meals in the freezer. I also pack large amounts of meats in small containers in the freezer to cut down on waste.

Then, a habit I need to start, is pre-cooking for the week on the weekend. This may not mean "feeding the freezer". Sometimes making a family dinner easier if the meatloaf is already mixed in the pan and ready to go in the oven. Are the potatoes cut up and in the kettle ready to boil? Any little tasks can make a big difference. Hard-boil eggs, mix tuna or chicken salad, cut up veggies (lunches or dinners); just be observant of any time you can "batch" a meal task (cut up all the veggies, peel and slice potatoes, fry that large package of hamburger and divide into smaller portions, bake 2 chickens) the sky's the limit.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:52 pm

WoW! It's been over 6 years since anyone has posted in this thread, Catnipper! Guess we should frequent some of these threads a little more often. Ya' think?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”