Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2020

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2020

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:20 pm

Here we are, beginning July and meeting challenges.
Thanks to Kathryn for photos. She showed us her sewing project of a mask with plastic rectangle that allows someone to see you speak.
BookSaver, we hope you found space to cut out that updated mask project of your own. I understand searching for space - my house has a lot of creative projects spread out. Too bad they're not mine! I did post some photos of that, too.
Harmony exampled self-sufficiency to us when her greeting card shortage inspired her to create one of her own. :idea:
Cathy has started going back to her knitting group - yay!

Have fun with a new month spreading before us. Let us know what you're inspired to create next!

Harmony

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, July 2020

Postby Harmony » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:05 pm

Harriet, on a recent home improvement show I watched, the lady decorating it made something out of pressed flowers. She made them by making a sandwich of first a firebrick (the kind that go into the interior of a fireplace), then a couple paper napkins, the flowers laid out flat, another couple napkins, and a firebrick on top. She microwaved them for about 4 minutes I think and they turned out just like those in a book... and much faster. I wondered if you knew this trick?

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:18 pm

Harmony, yes I know at least a similar trick and have messed up flowers doing it! :lol: Not all the time! I've also gotten some right, but it's a little scary with fragile ones because just two seconds too long and you ruined them. The way I saw it done was with books. Heavy, not-your-favorite books on top of the flowers. They said you could use other things but I didn't have any of them at the time.

Vanity Fair kind of softer napkins work well for me no matter how I press. But you can't use the part with the impressions on them or your flowers will come out with impressions, too.

Dd has seen some wildflowers by the side of the road that she wants me to press but she keeps forgetting to bring me any. I fear their season will be in the past soon. Her concept is setting a pressed flower into clear resin to preserve it. Don't know how that might work.

Looks like I'm going to have to break out the sewing machine whether there's time or not. She ordered 2 pair of jeans and is genuinely needing these to work. Only one has arrived so far but it is at least 2.5 inches too long, so I'm thinking these were supposed to be marked as talls. Time for hemming.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:29 pm

I have started my Christmas in July projects.
I had a granny square project going but stalled out on it.

Also knitting coaster size dish cloths for a prayer shawl to go in between the larger size dish cloth ones.
Finished my first coaster size dish cloth it has too many points so I am going to be tweaking it and too big I am not sure I can use
these for what I hair bun coverings. Trying 12 points instead of 14 this time. gave up and am doing more dishcloths
with white and blue speckled yarn.

Saw one gal with a crochet mask on pretty sure it was not going to be effective! Smh.

Sand & Paint a desk is on the list for this mo. as well but I not started it yet. x = done.

I will do a basement day soon crafting loading bobbins, working on the desk, cleaning sorting papers and enjoying the coolness.
Filled one bobbin yea for progress had forgotten how had to relearn it a fairly new machine!
Maybe for the 4th it is quieter down there too.

One thing I have been doing is e mailing my sis daily she is loving it.
Not with pc issues however, called her instead.
Have a snail mail letter doing to her.
Wrote a pen pall letter last week also.

Drawing in my sketch book also.

Sewing is on my mind load bobbins first then considering hemming fabric
to donate for face coverings bc of the state mandate requirement on that now.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:30 pm

Nancy, you are always an inspiration. It's wonderful you are on track about Christmas in July. About the crochet face mask, the only thing I can think of is maybe it was lined with another fabric? And the crochet just a way of decorating? But that would make it so hot and thick. I'm sure I'm over-thinking it!

I mended a stuffed toy-friend who dd40's youngest had sent to me by dd21. Olaf the snowman from the movie Frozen is much loved and my dgs didn't mean to pull his flimsy little arm off! I'd imagine this is a common "ailment" for these Olafs, who are heavy guys with tiny arms. Dd40 had already tried once to sew this back on but it's too easy for a child to forget and hold him by his "hand".

So I've really stitched this on tight this time, with doubled quilting thread. Sort of makes this one arm shorter in order to grip with those stitches, and now the twig "thumb" doesn't want to turn quite the right way! :D But I believe both he and I will be forgiven. I don't know if you've seen the face on this particular character just smiling, with his flippy-floppy neck, but I swear I turned him back over and he seemed to look appreciative! ;)

I'll let him smile at ya'll for a few days and delete!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Thank you Harriet!
Checking in ~ I have stalled out on the coaster size rounds I was knitting they were the wrong size.
I restarted crochet granny square will be growing in to an afghan I think instead of sewing squares together.
Did make a couple more speckled dish cloths, knitting has a calming effect so I will need to continue doing them.
I have not been in the sewing room except to look for something or do laundry.
It is gardening season.
I am painting on the desk top is a diff. color now.
Considering bringing the sewing machine upstairs the other table can work for that. :idea:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:50 pm

Two masks I made today for dgsJ, dd40's youngest, who needs ties rather than loops because his hearing aids are too bulky (children's type) to accommodate a loop behind the ear. The nose of each is toward the left in the photo.

Masks small july2020.jpg

I used what's called the "Olson" face mask pattern online, just because it looked nicer on the model than some others. I felt like he might be between their two children's sizes so since mine were going to be bound instead of turned under at the edges, so a little larger, I used the smaller size shape and I think it's a good compromise. They assume you will encase a loop in the ends and need to fold back a lot, so since I wasn't going to do that I took off 3/4 inch of each end. I hope I chose fabrics a little boy would like, bubbles and squares. I thought about using a character print, but it would just cut off an image in the seam down the middle, or look spotty, so no.

I'll try to get them in the mail tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:38 pm

Harriet, those look so professional! With the print I can't see the seams. Good job!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:19 am

Those do look very nice, Harriet, nice job on the bias tape too!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:38 pm

Great work Harriet.
Here a doctor says ties are more comfortable and fit better, in his opinion.
Maybe the ear loops just annoy him.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “The Creative Home”