Art, Craft and Needlework, May 2024

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, May 2024

Postby Harriet » Wed May 01, 2024 11:20 am

Did you know there is a positive effect on our eating habits during the times that we are creating art, crafts and needlework? Another great reason to take up creative projects! Researchers have discovered some answers for this, apart from just having too much fun to remember lunch.

Barbara Field, writing for VeryWellMind, believes that If you are a stress eater, which is very common, turning to creative pursuits might keep stress from making you overeat.
Have you ever been so immersed in writing in your journal, creating postcards out of your recent photographs, or dancing to your favorite band that you lost all sense of time? During this time, you’re focused with optimal attention on a task or activity. It’s sometimes called being in the zone,
Creativity has been proven in extensive research to relieve both stress and anxiety.

An article in Psychology Today suggests that one reason our creativity might slim our waistlines is visual - "Less external clues of the presence of food". If you are literally seeing food less, but instead seeing the progression of your art more, you tend to want to spend your time on your project - not your refrigerator. Both would "feed" you, but in different ways.

Another possibility they noted is that an unwanted habit of taking snacks physically into the hands to eat can be overcome at times by having something ELSE in our hands that is already "feeding" our interests, if not our tummies. We may remember family (for me, grandmothers) warning about the difference between Idle hands and busy hands!

No matter how it happens, if my art keeps me from snacking too much, I'm in!

What lovely creativity will keep your interest in May?

Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May 2024

Postby Harriet » Wed May 08, 2024 11:59 pm

An email from the lady who is doing the quilting tells me that she expects to be finished in a day or two. Then just the return trip here and I'll be ready to get started on final things. Sleeve to hang, binding, label if I want. Just haven't had time to think about a label yet. Gardening has taken up the time.

In the meantime, I did use the sewing machine a bit. I mended a kitchen towel and got it back into rotation. I especially like this one and am glad it's back - looks as though nothing happened.

As far as getting large quilts quilted in the future, I'll have to settle for pantographs, I think. That means the same pattern done all over the quilt by a machine that just travels once over the whole thing by itself. It's not ideal, but affordable. This lady's type of work, hand-guiding her designs, is only for heirloom, really. It used to be less expensive, and several of my grands' quilts were done this way, but those days are probably gone.

I always do small pieces myself, hand or machine. Large ones - sometimes. I quilted my first large quilt myself all by hand, got over that right away ( :lol: ), I can think of one large and one lap-size quilt I've done just with straight lines all over, like squares. I can think of two lap-size I've done by straight-stitching along the shapes of the patchwork. Then I quilted a twin size Baskets quilt using curving templates of simple flower shapes. That turned out okay, not ideal, and you could tell I was a beginner at that - not my best. I was smart to quilt it in fourths and then sew those together, though.

If money made me look at do-it-myself for large quilting again, I would probably try a variation of what I did with the Baskets quilt and see if I could manage. It's very cumbersome, though, to try to sew large, already-quilted pieces together.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May 2024

Postby Nancy » Thu May 09, 2024 10:09 am

I read a o.t. scripture verse about that this week.
I will try to find that verse.
Found it
... let hands not be idle. Eccl. 11:6

I have paused my yarn crafting to get to my garden work.

Return to “The Creative Home”