Art, Craft and Needlework, Nov - Dec, 2009

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, Nov - Dec, 2009

Postby Harriet » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:23 pm

Here we are nearly at year's end with lots of decorating and gift-giving going on. Possibly we'll be receiving some supplies and materials for creativity as well, or have some on our wish-lists for our own trips to shop. There are plenty of day to day creative opportunities this time of year for greeting cards and gift wrap, too, or maybe we'll guide children's creativity, making paper snowflakes or a gingerbread house!

What's the creative fun going on at your house?

How will GIVING figure into your crafting? Will you assembly-line some small gifts, ornaments, or jarred/preserved items? Will you pour your best creative efforts into a keepsake for a loved one? Will you have fun noticing all the newly available choices of cards, stamps and stickers for correspondence, or the coordination of wrappings this year? Will you decorate with a certain dear one in mind?

Have you ever thought that we are showing good manners when we hand-craft a present for another person? It's something we may all know in our hearts but haven't seen stated in print quite this way:

Etiquette expert Amy Riestenberg says that although the 2009 trend toward more homemade gifts for the holidays may be fueled by thrift, the homemade gift is always a hallmark of good manners.

"There should never be a question about giving a homemade gift," says Riestenberg. "It is totally appropriate."

She said the handmade present reveals the giver's good wishes.

"Because that gift comes from your heart and not from the store, when you make it with your hands it shows that you have taken that extra time for someone else."

- Glen Evans, Presents from the Heart, November, 2009

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, November, 2009

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:33 pm

I've been working on some knitting this fall projects
are taking longer than I anticipated!

Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, Nov - Dec, 2009

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:06 pm

Idea -
My nephew's wife made pillowcases for all the children in the family. They were all of the same fun winter fabric - penguins. The edge/foldback of the cases was a solid. She sent them all out to be embroidered at once with the children's names, about 2.5 inches high. Very cute way to give each child a personal gift that made them feel special, yet her work was done assembly-line style for ease. She said she actually bought a pattern, but I would think you wouldn't need one. She also made a set of 2 in Santa fabric without embroidery as her adult gift for open exchange and I happened to choose it, so I'm very pleased.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, Nov - Dec, 2009

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Oh Harriet I just love that idea!
Great to tote gifts home from grandma's too! :idea:
I've been neglecting my craft time trying to get a bit of that
underway now that most of the cooking is done.

Return to “The Creative Home”