Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2010

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2010

Postby Harmony » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:59 pm

Thank you Nancy and Harriet, that was all very helpful.

I just measured the quilt I have here that I used for pattern size for the 2 I made and it is 36" x 51". Surprised that was so big. I don't think DD1 used hers except as a play pad, other DD used hers a lot. It was made for middle DGS and first DGS fell in love with it and considered it his! When he went away to kindergarden he took it as a sleep pad and used it until the other kids started teasing him about the little animals and teddybears all over!

My quilts are maybe not heirloom quality, but that's ok I just want them to be used and enjoyed. If they're pretty and liked when I give them, that's enough for me.

I haven't done enough quilting to get that good yet! Harriet, in looking again at your beautiful quilt above, I determined I probably couldn't do the compass square! Wasn't that very difficult?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:16 pm

Harmony I was not able to get in to that site yesterday.
I have ten granny squares completed now yea!
I'm 1/5 th of the way done with them now.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:00 pm

Well, I completed the little square I was knitting, put a couple rounds of crochet around just because and I even blocked it, haha why? No idea, just wanted to knit something. Calling it a dishrag. Pretty tourquois blue left over from a baby blanket!

I was going to work on my quilt pattern (on paper) but with all the stuff going on today I wasn't able to concentrate. Settled down a little now so I'm off to get my graph pad and see what I can come up with.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:39 am

Nancy, I was thinking about you bringing in the black and imagining it would really make other color "pop".

Harmony, that was paper piecing, from an article in a magazine or book (can't remember which I used) that gave you the pattern to photocopy and you stitch onto the paper. So, although it was very time-consuming and I felt awkward doing it, each portion wasn't really hard by itself. The center circle applique was not a problem because I like to do that, and it covers up the place where so many seams meet, so that's good, believe me. Piecing into the larger circle was tedius, though. I put off doing it for a while, I remember, because it seemed so difficult. The embarrassing thing is that this one's been sitting around so long waiting on me to get back to it.

Have fun drafting the pattern - that's always pleasant.

I got a few more seams sewn today. I scorched a fabric - I haven't done that in I don't know when. I couldn't believe it at first. Thankfully it was a small piece and I have more of it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:21 am

One more and I"ll have 2/5 ths of these squares done yea me for making progress.
I just wish that sewing or crocheting them together was as much fun as
making the squares is!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:15 am

I have my little quilt all done on graph paper with crayon colored in squares. DH was much impressed that I actually got the size correct (he counted the squares, lol).

Picked a toile (is that the word) picture for 16" x 16" center but instead of victorian pictures it has teddy bears and bunnies, books and blocks along with the usual blue vegetation on cream background. Picked colors from that, 2 shades of blue, one maroon with cream dots, one cream with bigger brown, maroon & both shades of blue circles. Going to be 4" squares of all the colors all around the 16 x 16 center, 2 stripes around that, dark blue and light blue. Sounds easy, right?

All the fabric store had was muslin in wide material and I wanted something with all over tiny teddy bears or something. Might check a quilt shop for something like that.

Ah, Harriet, paper piecing, that makes sense and that seems doable, hadn't thought about that method.

Nancy, are you making a sweater for yourself?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:19 am

I'm making up hoodies for the grand kids for gifts for this year and next Christmas.
And a throw not sure where it will go yet.
No sweaters in the work here for me or any one!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Awww! Those fabrics sound so sweet for a baby. I hope you can find all over bears or something you'd like. It could be you'd find it online somehow.

IF, IF, dd's baby turns out to be a girl I will be farther along on a UFO quilt for that sex and can maybe catch up with you before "our" summer due dates, Harmony, lol! However, if it is a little boy I will probably not press myself too much. I don't have any UFO started that will work for a baby, and WonderBoy-1yr does not have HIS quilt yet!!! (Can you tell his toddler quilt will have to be really nice? Grandma will be so embarrassed to have kept him waiting, although I'm sure he does not care.) Until then, ds24's wedding gift (1 year anniversary gift? 2nd Christmas together gift? :lol: ) has to take up my time.

Nancy, I know those hoodies will be so cute. I was thinking - can you alternate your work between the fun of making squares and the sewing/crocheting together? I have only crocheted granny squares together once before, and that was years ago, but I remember the squares were the most fun. Mostly I did what my dmil called "ripple" - zigzag afghans. You know, on the show Roseanne, in the living room set. for years they had the same granny square afghan over the couch. Millions of people were looking at that afghan weekly, lol - whoever made it must have been proud.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:01 pm

I will think on that Harriet.
I have half of the squares done.
Got another hoddie completed yesterday yea for progress!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Here's a link to the fabric I ordered. It's on the same "flavor" as the center bear scene in that it has that old fashioned look so I thought it would go nicely.

http://tinyurl.com/y9hf6zv

I hope when it comes it is nice fabric. It will be just wide enough I think and if it isn't I'll piece a stripe around.

What do you think?

Here is a small swatch of the one I'm using in the middle of the front of the quilt.

http://tinyurl.com/ya8ozu6

This is a small pic of it there are other bear scenes.

Return to “The Creative Home”