Art, Craft and Needlework, February, 2010

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, February, 2010

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:19 am

Have sewn the triangles of the corners of the medallion center on. Did manage to cut carefully and get patches out of same fabric for the last two blocks, so I feel very thrifty and also clever!

Today I got started on the really fun part of the quilt, making the last two blocks. I cut out 2 of the 5 fabrics I'll need. The second was the batik and I did some fussy-cutting to get an oak leaf right in the center of the center patch for one block. It took longer than I thought it would, mostly because I couldn't decide which leaf!

Am using one of my repurposed containers as a keeper for these patches while I'm gathering them - one of the Thai Pavillion meals' white 5x6x1 with snap-lid. As I cut out patches I can put them in there and even if the container gets tossed and tumbled all over the table while I shuffle fabric, there's no worry. Every patch safe and sound.

Glad you are making progress, Nancy.

Harmony was saying in PWYC today that she got a couple seams sewn, even with her cast, and I'm tickled for her.

Lynlee, all the pattern in your project sounds like fun to work with. "...and other UFOs I'm not talking about..." Yep, I know all about that. :oops:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:29 pm

I have yarn for another hoodie now
and for a dish cloth to show dgd how to do those
it will help her to learn how to increase and decrease stitches also.
yesterday I got some crochet hooks for them to use at the thrift shop also.
Looking forward to these new projects.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Nancy, do your hoodies have buttons or are they pullovers?

ufo's ohoh - i looked in a box recently to see my unfinished cross stitch now has a little brown mark on it. it has been sitting in a cardboard box for some years and i'm wondering if acid is making the marks.

i'm not going to be quilting any time soon. i cannot turn my left hand palm up. i showed the dr. what i needed to do with my other hand and he said don't do that. so...

sewing today was tedious. my cast kept bumping the machine. i won't be using my machine for awhile. i still have to hand sew the leg hems and top hem at side seams where i opened it up for altering. and press the new pant seams. i stopped after doing the top, it was so difficult.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:47 pm

{{{Harmony}}}

No the hoodies do not have any buttons, they are pull over the head kind.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Harmony, I'm sure a real quilting expert could suggest some odd way in which you could quilt, but I don't know any. ((hugs)) I'm very impressed you got your alterations done.

Nancy, very smart to find craft items at the thrift store for dgd. A favorite author of mine, Bonnie Hunter, wrote a book on buying men's plaid shirts at thrift stores for cutting up and putting into new items. I want to buy that book when I get some extra $. Oh, found it to show you. Here it is.

Finally made it to the quilt shop today (not the fabric store where ds24 gave me a gift certificate, but somewhere I actually had to spend my own money! LOL) I took several snippets of fabric from the Forest quilt along with me in a baggie to match.

I bought large cuts of one green and one blue, and quarter-yards of another couple blues, then a fat-quarter of another green. So I feel a little more prepared for finishing the quilt without more shopping.

Dd11 bought 3 fat-quarters of baby flannel for doll clothes, mostly pink and blue stripe and check.

She and I had a happy time the other evening, making a pair of "jeans" (really a blue near-solid cotton, not denim, so easy to work with) for her baby doll. We printed out this pattern and it worked out fine.

Everybody remember the enjoyment of watching as the http://www.wraptheminlove.com site puts up the photos of the quilts donated to charity. They are finished with their 2009 photo posting - SO many photos. When you get to the site you click on the year you want to see, down the left side.

This is a 2004 idea for a sewing machineI didn't see until now. I am forever having pins roll away from me at the sewing machine - this would stop them and keep them handy. I doubt I would make one so prettily, but it does make me wonder why I didn't think of this before.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:57 am

Thanks for the link Harriet!
My granny used to make quilts out of old jeans for picnics and such
mom does it not too every one loves them.
Eldest dgd has been learning to knit and does a few rows when she's here it's great!
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:12 am

Started the next hoodie and made some good progress on it !

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:36 pm

You seem to make things very quickly, Nancy.

Harriet, love that quilt site. So many beautiful quilts to see. I bookmarked the site because it took quite a while to go through just 1 year. Did you see the one that looked like a flat world map; I believe there were 2 of them. Nice!

Return to “The Creative Home”