Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2010

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2010

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Lisa B one way to do that, if your Photobucket site feels personal to you, is to post the link under "Posting Members" forum so that only village neighbors can reach your photos.

I am thinking that book is about needleturn applique, is that right? I've done the freezer paper method and it's fine but really does have a LOT of steps, so I know needleturn would get to the finish line faster!!! You will have so much fun with that.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:02 am

Yes it is Harriet.

Re: Photobucket - I don't really put any personal photo's there - usually only put some of my needlework photos so not so personal. I was just thinking last night that it might be easier for you to view the rest of the redwork I have for last year..here is the link: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/Nikita-Anne/Redwork
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:52 pm

Today I'm working on the medallion borders. I could be so finished with this part, but I am constantly interrupted. :roll:

Lisa, the link works but Photobucket won't allow access.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: applique. The last time I did applique I cut my shapes, got the lightest backing pellam (sp?) and cut shape of that too. I sewed them together, cut a slit in the pellam, turned right side out, pressed and edges were all nicely finished. Then I used very tiny applique hand stitches to attach to quilt top. What do you think of that method?

Moving right along with my quilting. DH says it looks like a quilt now. ;) He even stuck his head underneath to see what the stitches looked like under there!

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 am

Harriet, I apologise. For me it worked when I checked it. Let me see if I can figure out how to make it work so you can see the redwork.

Harmony, thank you for the suggestion. As I've never done any applique before, I'm willing to try anything which will make it easier to do and learn.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 am

Harriet, lets try again.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/Nikita-Anne/Redwork/

type in quilts1 to view the album and lets see if it works this time.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:42 am

Lisa - beautiful work.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:19 am

Thank you Lynlee. :)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:26 am

Just wonderful, Lisa, and made even better because you followed through and have them well documented and "displayed". So many times we create something lovely, then life crowds in and the thing of beauty is forgotten, left under something. :( Then we also forget the self-confidence and happiness it gave us!

I think I like August's piece best now. I believe I am responding to the look of crewel embroidery that the February and August pieces have. When I was a little girl, my aunt did crewel embroidery and taught me a little bit, so maybe I have a soft spot in my heart for those images?? Hmmm!

A cautionary tale :D - Seeing Lisa's photos in order, and Dawn's question yesterday in PWYC, makes me remember a quilt I made for a grown nephew, barely finishing by the Christmas party "deadline" I'd given myself, so that I didn't have time to take a photo. I asked him to take one sometime and he said absolutely he would. Then I asked him again later and he promised. But he never did, and now he is divorced and my ds25 tells me not to mention the quilt again because his cousin fears the quilt has been misplaced or that the exwife took it without realizing it was handmade. If there had been a photo, no one would care so much, because we would have a little memory keepsake to see. So, if you create a keepsake, get a photo before you let it out of your hands - it will take up almost zero space in your life, and give everyone permission to relax about remembering/taking care of your work.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:55 pm

Lisa, your embroidery is beautiful. I like the little girl ones.

I have not taken many pictures of my things and wish I had. The last 2 baby quilts I made I did, but I did not take good pictures and it is hard to see the detail in them. (Harriet, those are the quilt pictures I brought up when we met). I thought she was going to go cross-eyed trying to see the detail in those poor pictures!

I told my daughters to use those quilts, not to worry if they fell apart!

I have one row of 4" squares to quilt when I unroll the quilt a bit to the other side. I also have two 4" borders that go all the way around the quilt to sew. I may be able to do the first border ok, but the outside one may be too close to the rail to manage. Do I take it out of the rack to do it? And I wonder, if it isn't in the rack how do I keep it taut? Hmmm, I think I have a small lap rack around here somewhere.

Return to “The Creative Home”