Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2010

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2010

Postby Harmony » Wed May 19, 2010 8:27 pm

I need a kick to get that quilt done. It's still on the rack in the family room. Since DH's surgery, I just can't get focused on it. Right now it's like the elephant in the room. And she could have her baby any time now.

Not even mentioning the other one I was supposed to make, for which I haven't even bought any material.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed May 19, 2010 9:37 pm

I started a prayer shawl with the tan variegated yard this afternoon.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Have fun with the new project, Nancy!

Harmony, I hesitate to actually kick. :) I mean, I definitely send you ~~~encouragement vibes~~~, but have to be honest. I can't find the motivation to get back to sewing myself right now. When our families have a difficult time, we tend to focus in on needs and have a hard time remembering wants.

I did buy a sewing magazine yesterday. I guess that's a slow step toward remembering! And this evening I pondered how I could lay out my quiltmaking studio better (it's too crowded).

Lisa, Sashiko is a beautiful style. Did you use traditional Japanese fabrics or your own favorites? I understand Marti Mitchell's templates are very high quality.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Thu May 20, 2010 5:00 am

Harriet, I'm using a very pale pink fabric from Robert Kaufman's Fusion range and a deep pink thread to contrast for the Sashiko. It's actually quite easy and have to admit to using a cotton darning needle to do this with as I haven't found any proper Sashiko needles here in RSA.

Good for you to get a sewing magazine. Which one did you get?

Nancy, way to go on a new project.

Harmony, sending encouraging vibes your way, but I echo what Harriet says. Family always comes first in my book. Projects and other plans are put on hold until one feels ready enough to tackle something again.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 20, 2010 9:06 am

"Better Homes and Gardens Creative Collection Quilts and More" - it's about small projects and the cover shows a tote and a bib. I bought it because dd11 saw a few projects she thought she would like (scrap-strips handbag) and because there are some good basic instructions for common small projects like oven mitt, pillowcase, shams. It's a silly-to-practical mag instead of one with gorgeous large projects that I'm probably not ready to admire again yet. I bought it and a Women's Health mag with "winter bonus dollars" earned at pharmacy.

btw, save those selvage edges from your fabrics. You see selvages used in the oddest ways lately. Here's a blog site with lots of photos down the page of funny and serious selvages.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu May 20, 2010 8:41 pm

LOL at the selvage projects. Purse was cute, lampshade too. But the bra ... :shock: strips are so small, how long would one of these projects take? Yikes!

Read my instructions on bindings. Watched a video about it. Decided which way to go and made one on a little scrap of paper with a paper binding (and stapler). Maybe with a plan now I can get off top dead center.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Fri May 21, 2010 12:55 am

The dress and umbrella must of taken hours to make. The dress reminds me of an older era style. All I can say is WOW at that dress. The bra bag is kinda cute, but honestly, would you walk around with it?
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat May 22, 2010 1:09 pm

I have knit up about 6" on the new tan prayer shawl.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat May 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Found a whole list of "UFO finishing" articles. Most were UNhelpful and seemed they were written by people who didn't really know what they were talking about. But here's one that was worth reading.

Getting Projects Finished

Nancy, are you going to be doing the "Rudolph" type thing (every 25th of month craft day) this year or something like it?

Anybody else have a schedule for the time you're spending on creativity? either now or in anticipation of later dates?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun May 23, 2010 10:21 am

I sort of do Rudolph Club / or planning for the holiday's card by making things all year.
This spring I worked on hoodies for the grands and other.

Plus I like to have a knitting project going as it seems to calm me down
and keeping my hands busy helps to keep them out of the cookie jar!
IYKWIM!

Return to “The Creative Home”