Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2010

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2010

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:10 am

It's been finish-line time for several here! :) We've had mentions of completed projects, like Lisa B's Sashiko block and Harmony's baby quilt, helia's dd12's purses/totes and her dd14's polymer clay jewelry/bowls. Lynlee and I are deep into big projects and I don't see a finish line, although she may be close to a finish - how's it going, Lynlee? Nancy is at least 2/3 of the way along on her tweedy prayer shawl project and may be nearly finished. Both Harmony and Nancy are already started on their next projects.

BTW - Remember to take those photos when a project is complete! If you have a photo you'd like to take, don't let time pass because the opportunity could slip away. (I know this too well.) Tuck the picture away and it may give you a smile years from now. If you get the chance, let your friends here see. Threads on our site can accept photos up to 300x300 pixels (not in PWYC, it moves too fast). Both Indiana and Kathryn have posted hints in the Tips, Hints and How-Tos Forum.

Here's my own "question of the month" I'm asking myself for June. What fun can be found from scraps/parts left over? What small projects could come of them, or how could they be saved over time to become larger projects later? There may be as much imaginative fun in the leftovers as in the original project. Have you ever made something wonderful from leftovers? Do tell!!

Lisa B.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2010

Postby Lisa B. » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:22 am

Hello Ladies,

Well, the post from the USA was quick. I have received my templates today, 1 June 2010. Not bad, since I ordered them middle May. Can't wait to try them out.

Still working on the Sashiko block. Nearly finished. Just doing the last outer circle. Then onto the next bock.

Have fun doing your projects.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:24 am

Have you had a chance to use those templates yet, Lisa?

I bought a box to ship my quilt in (in case we don't get up there) and I think I'll try the next size smaller. This one's a bit big. Need to take that picture first.

I have a little over half of my squares cut out for DD1's quilt. Had a bit of a challenge squaring up the material; 2 of the pieces were so off I swear I ended up losing 1/4 of a yard. I noticed it when it was being cut and I thought at the time she didn't give me much extra to compensate.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:17 am

I'm still working on baby afghans. My deadlines are fast approaching.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 am

I've finished knitting on the tweedy tan prayer shawl
and I'm hoping that there is enough yarn to sew it in to a poncho.

I'm now half done with the granny squares now.
It's raining this week and great weather for doing these projects!

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:39 am

Harmony, I've not yet had a chance to use the templates. It is on my to do list very soon and I'm looking forward to trying them out. I have the blocks for Marti Michell's Anniversary Waltz quilt - this is on my to do list before the end of the year too - just have to get the fabrics first.

BTW: I think that this: http://www.amazon.com/Bucilla-Donna-Dewberry-Roses-X-Stitch/dp/B000GBPOOA/ref=sr_1_188?ie=UTF8&m=A15FQPGSF5C19E&s=home-garden&qid=1275924734&sr=1-188
would be a major undertaking but it sure is gorgeous - found it taking a short browse on Amazon.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Can't work on much now as I'm
done with all but one granny square before
running out of yarn so that's on the list.
Update:
One store was out but found two lg. skeins at another yea
I'm thinking this will be enough to finish or get to the next step of this project done.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:48 pm

Indiana, how much do you have left to do?

Lisa, I googled Marti Michell's anniv. quilt and it is beautiful. I like the way she did it in the french blues. The rose quilt is gorgeous and it's the kind of quilt I would do if I had the time. I guess all the rose stuff on top is cross-stitched?

I gave up the idea of a Sunbonnet Sue quilt for DD. All that applique, I would never get it done. So I am working in her colors but something simpler and I'm really happy the way this one is turning out. I have the whole top pieced, mostly 4" x 4" squares and 8 8" x 8" squares. I made an interesting pattern of the most vivid pink and white ones. 2 4" stripes all the way around. Need to work on the "sandwich" today.

1st quilt is on it's way. DH helped me get a picture of it first. Good thing I downloaded it and checked before I boxed it up, he had his finger over the lens and we could only see a corner of it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:44 am

I have made great progress on the granny square project.
It's not as portable as it was.

I have the next phase well under way attaching granny squares together
I think I"m half way done with that part. Next getting them in strips and then
attaching the strips together. Then I'll see if I have enough yarn for a shell stitch edge.

I've started a fun multi-color prayer shawl had to rip it out a couple of times before I
got the pattern set on this one. Got it going now yea!

Middle phase of the granny square project is now done.
The blocks have been stitched together into strips.
So attaching the strips together will be next.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Picture of 1st quilt I made and sent away. Looked better in real than the picture, but oh, well!

Working away on 2nd quilt. I have one more long border strip to quilt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Creative Home”