Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2010

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2010

Postby Harmony » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:37 pm

I got the label made and sewed on the quilt today. It is spread out on my brown couch and I think I am going to miss it when I give it away!

I had a square piece of one of the fabrics left and I also had an extra unused throw pillow (never covered). So I covered the little pillow, overlapped in the back so it could be removed for laundering and attached two pieces of grograin (sp?) ribbon for tying it shut with a little bow.

We have to replace some more of the wood in my quilt rack. All of it was made of finger-jointed wood and one of the legs opened up at one finger joint while I was quilting this last one. I just kept popping it back together and was careful not to lean my arm on that side. DH says he will replace all the boards that are made that way. With the ones we've already replaced, that means we've built a whole new one, together with new bolts and angles!

He was very supportive of my hobby this time. When I did the 1st two baby quilts he told me, just buy them, they take too long! Harriet, I showed him your medallion picture you posted, I think he got the picture then!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:07 am

When I looked for yarn for the next project yesterday
it was sold out ~sigh~ so that will have to wait!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Congrats on finishing your project, Nancy. Too bad when materials aren't available - hope you find it soon.

Harmony, seeing the pillow will give you enjoyment to think of the baby quilt and the baby, too! What kind of label did you decide to do? Was this second quilt similar to the first?

I have rescued/saved some button-placket garments in fabrics I like, just for their plackets. Someday, I'll use them to make quicker backs for pillow covers, to have closures to let the pillow pop in and out easily. A couple have covered plackets, but I think visible buttons are attractive on pillows, too.

Today I put solid yellow cotton fabric into 2 small embroidery hoops for dd11 and myself. I think I'll teach her how to make "lazy daisy" flowers first and then "French knot" for the centers. One of the hoops was inherited from my grandmother, the other a gift from dfirstmil, years ago. My idea is not that dd would make big projects, but just learn, and use in her scrap crafts, little gifts, that sort of thing. If she wants to take it further, that's great, too.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:03 am

I think it is so wonderful that you are passing on all your skills to DDaughter. Those will serve her well over her lifetime.

My label is just a rectangle of one of the fabrics on which I printed "made with love for insert baby's name by Grandma insert MY name and the date.

Quilt is similar to first, but turned out better. I didn't make a big center square, but 8 8" x 8" squares, 2 at top, 2 at bottom, 2 along each side, same 2 border. I hand quilted an overlapping tulip circle design on each of the big squares, swags along the outside border, on point squares along the inside border.

I took it along yesterday to show the women of our gathering at DSiL's and all were surprised, not knowing that I did this. DNeice mentioned that DSiL brought out my quilt I'd sent to show her (she was up there visiting), so that was pleasing to hear.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Oh, that's great, Harmony. So glad you found some IRL compliments from a group! (We'd like to see anytime, too, hint, hint.) That was nice of your dniece to remember to tell you about getting to see the other quilt.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:52 am

I'm SO very happy to be able to report that I found the yarn
in stock that I'd been wanting red heart super saver color is cherry chip
so I got it and started on the blocks for this next project!

Can't finish these until I get the next color but I can begin and
get the centers done on these I have 2 1/2 ready for the next color!
Yea! Love this next project! It's so much fun starting new ones.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Gotta love starting new projects. Nancy, good news that you have the yarn now and can start having fun.

Dd11 got up this morning and started right in on embroidery hoop again. She is enjoying it very much, and worked some more tonight. She just needs to start having more confidence that she can do small, careful designs. She has felt awkward with the needle so wanted to work with more strands/bigger stitches. We have gathered some fabric scraps for segments of patchwork pincushions that will be pretty together.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Harriet, does your DD have your creative nature? Sure sounds like it.

Nancy, did you give away your last prayer shawl you made? I may have missed if you told us about that.

Came home today to find DH working away on my quilt rack. All the finger-jointed wood is now replaced. He has essentially remade the whole thing. All except the long rails on which the canvas is attached. Next time I use this I will put new canvas on because it is all uneven.

Took a quilt picture. Put it on a broom handle and hung it on the sliding glass door curtain rod. Maybe not a good idea because the light shined through and you can see every seam allowance, etc. Also for some reason it hung a little 'off' from overhead fan and looks unsquare, but really it is only 1/16" off from one end to the other. If I can get it in here.... if not I will elicit some more help...

Harmony2010PinkBabyQuilt.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:29 pm

Harmony - Beautiful quilt! Love the colors and pattern. What a lucky baby to receive such a "hand-made with love" gift. I'm sure it will be treasured forever. Thanks for posting the picture.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:47 pm

Harmony, I LOVE BOTH the quilts!!! They are both just BEAUTIFUL! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. Your grandchildren are going to treasure these for the rest of their lives.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “The Creative Home”