Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2010

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Lynlee

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2010

Postby Lynlee » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:15 am

Harmony - beautiful quilts. Lots of love sewn in. I'm sure they will be treasured.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:34 am

Harmony you do beautiful work. Both quilts are lovely.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Thank you. :oops: I found a new use for those leftover scraps. I wrapped the quilt in white tissue and used leftover binding strip for the ribbon and selvage strips to make the bow. I am also giving her the pillow.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:24 pm

Harmony, will the quilt be given at the party you have mentioned? I think? Thanks so much for keeping us updated on these precious hand-quilted keepsakes you are making for new grandchildren - and getting them done before the births, what a concept! :)

Will I ever learn that finished is better than perfect? 1st grandchild's quilt (a little too perfectionist-ic) done and used as decoration for the shower. But 2nd grandchild's quilt (way yonder too perfectionist-ic) postponed to become a toddler quilt and still not more than 40 percent complete. 3rd grandchild due in less than a month, without a cloth clue, because I was too much of a perfectionist to use a partially done quilt top that seemed feminine for a boy.

I found an old, rare quilt block pattern I've been looking for for years and HRH enlarged it for me, so I'm happy about that. Don't know when I'll get to it, but I've "captured" it now! Looks like a Dresden Plate with curving plate parts and teeth around the outside of the plate. I've found out it is from the Kansas City Star in the 1930s, and called "The Circle Saw". But l can't find the pattern anywhere on the net to show you even though I now know the name.

DD11 has continued to enjoy her embroidery. We have a "date" to cut out pincushion pieces tomorrow. I'm hoping we can assembly-line some of this and get some gifts prepared. But maybe we should make one and find out the pitfalls.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:25 am

Harmony, your quilt and pillow are very pretty. They will be a wonderful addition to dgd's nursery.

Well, I'm really committed to starting a quilt with dgd12. We shopped on Friday evening for the material and a few supplies that I didn't have. The colors dgd chose are not easy to find together; turquoise, lime green and deep purple. We did find a print with all three colors! The other three matching fabrics are plain/two tone colors, turquoise, deep purple and deep navy blue. It doesn't sound like it would match, but I think it will work. Anyway, here we go!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:51 am

I agree with the everyone else, Harmony. Your quilts are just beautiful.

I have finally tried the templates. I love them. They are so easy to use and all my triangles and squares are finally the correct sizing. Looks like this is the only way for me at the moment until I'm more familiar with getting the measuring right.

Harriet, you were right when you said that Marti Michell's templates are high quality. They are worth every penny spent.

Sunny, your dgd12 has an interesting colour combination. Picturing the colours in my mind and I think they will work too.

I've been looking at several sites with on-line shopping for materials. I have fallen in love with the feel and textures of a Faye Burgos range for Marcus fabrics called Pretty in Pink Pansy. There is a shop here that has some of the range but they charge around R130 per meter. I've worked it out, that it would actually be cheaper for me to order from the USA (one website has it for $8.29 a yard) as it will enable me to order all the quantity of fabric that I would like for almost half of what it would cost me in South African Rand should I get it from the store here. Also, judging by the length of time to get the templates, it wouldn't take too long for the fabric to arrive here either - at least I don't think it would be too long.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:09 am

Got the two big bags of yarns from the thrift shop sorted and
put in the closet yesterday and out of the living room.
Made a big difference in making that room look less cluttered!
Yea for progress!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Yes, quilt and pillow are now in its new home. One other gal there apparently sews, she had handmade burp cloths (diapers with colored strips sewn on) onesies with baby's initial sewed on in colorful fabric, elastic head ribbon with flower. Her gift actually got a lot of attention.

Mine was sorta lost in the sea of all the stuff she got, but that was ok, she'll have years to look at it and rest of stuff will be outgrown...

Looking forward to reading about all the projects going on here, good luck everybody!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:46 am

This weekend I tried doing a scarf did not have enough
yarn so I ripped it out and going for a doll blanket now with it.

I did a gift basket for a wedding with dish clothes, and I whipped out a pot holder for it,
put in some recipe cards and BBQ booklet plus and apron in a bag I had left from Christmas
this went in a bowl so this turned out better than expected love those moments when
life turns out better than expected don't you?

Got yarn to do the next round on the new granny square project,
the muliti-color yarn was gone but I can work on this in the mean while.

Current prayer shawl project is on the last ball of yarn.

Thought of some bbq~ing pot holders and dish clothes I can make up from black yarn
I have here.
Got a draw string tote finished from some dish clothes I had going. Love finishing up projects!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:04 am

Woo Hoo, Sunny! How fun is the beginning of a quilt project!!! Turquoise and lime green were the colors a niece and her roommate chose for their college dorm room and everyone loved it and talked about it. I so look forward to hearing about how your project goes. Sort of inspires me to work on a quilt at the same time, but I will make sure to help dd11 with her ideas first.

That sounds like a great mostly-handmade gift basket, Nancy. Bet it was pretty.

Isn't it hard to figure how shower gifts will be noticed at the moment, Harmony? A lull in the conversation will bring big oohhs and aahhs for a smart utility gift like diapers, while stunning things before them weren't noticed because of laughter and chat. It's a nice thing the other lady was appreciated at the moment with her handwork contributions since she isn't close kin, after all. It could be others were pretty impressed that she would go to the trouble of handmade gifts - it's rare lately. You will have years of knowing the baby quilt is a part of your granddaughter's cozy little world! As your dd and family remember the happy shower, "And Mom made a quilt!" will be a major point!

Very smart to weigh all your options for buying fabrics when you have a plan for certain ones, Lisa. If you've gotten several packages from US in a reasonable time, I'd think you can expect to get others quickly, too, and I know you are glad to have options. Use the nearby shops when you don't have time, of course - there's a lot of inspiration when physically INSIDE a shop, and we find things we truly benefit from buying there at the moment.

Return to “The Creative Home”