Art, Craft and Needlework, July, 2010

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, July, 2010

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:53 am

June was met with a flurry of creative thought!

LisaB is planning an Anniversary Waltz quilt during 2010,
Indiana is finishing up baby afghans,
Lynlee had the fun of spreading out her granny square crochet project for her dds to see,
Sunny and her dgd12 are almost ready to begin the sewing on their summer quilt project,
Nancy delivered a basket of handmade wedding gifts and is almost finished with a prayer shawl,
Harmony completed a baby quilt for her dd and Mr. Harmony repaired her frame for more,
Harriet and her dd11 worked on embroidery skills, and
sherinjoy and lucylee came in to post encouragement for us!

Also check the June thread for discussion on how to post photos.

So now here we are at July with half of 2010 stretching before us. Join in and let us know what's making your creative world go 'round these days!

What ideas do you have for finding time for it? Here's one idea in the form of an inspiring quote DeeClutter pointed out today:

I'm working on staying disciplined in the morning, so that I can be spontaneous and do fun and whimsical activities in the afternoon. - Smile Lee

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, July, 2010

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 am

The multi color shades of pink prayer shawl is now finished!

Got yarn for the granny square project and that is coming along nicely.
Found some shell pink yarn at the thrift shop thinking a baby blanket or
another prayer shawl it's such fun to decide!
2 Dish clothes and pot holders have not been started yet.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:32 pm

I heard nice progress report on phone with Sunny about her quilt. I hope she shares with us here.

Sat. my friend brought her ice cream cake in a quilted carrier that was so cute she left it with me to make a pattern. She actually had her cake pan inside two different sized quilted carriers together and her ice cream did not melt! So yesterday I made patterns from it so I can create.

Wondering if I should get some of that heat resistant batting Harriet has talked about. Course, I am much less apt to do any sewing since dining room is now completely cleaned up, machine folded away with skirt over top. When it is opened up I tend to use it more.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:11 pm

It was actually BookSaver on Feb 10 who explained about the batting if you wanted to check out her recommendation, Harmony. The carrier sounds so smart. And smart to make a pattern for something you really think you'll use. I need to use this perfect (for me) apron I have for a pattern sometime, too.

Nancy did you see that LurkyLou was asking how you make dishcloths in PWYC Saturday.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:23 am

No I did not see that Harriet.
Lucyl. I use the pattern on the back of one of the sugar and cream balls of yarn
they knit up in a diamond shape turning out square.
Finished up the pot holders yesterday yea!

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:13 pm

Well, dgd's quilt is coming along nicely so far. I have the second border sewed on except the 4x4 squares at the corners. These I will have to sew by hand so I can get the corner seams to match. I don't know any other way I should have done it, but I'm sure there is another way! After that I will put one more border around matching the center block. Then we can get the batting and material for the back.

Dgd12 has been knitting a scarf she wants to send to one of her friends. It is a pretty light orchid color. She started out with 16 stitches, no pattern just plain stockinette, and somehow ended up at 26 stitches. Of course she knew it had grown, but didn't know how to fix. So last night I knitted on it reducing the number of stitches gradually. Today we will finish it up and see how it turns out. All in all, it isn't too bad for a first knitting try!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:24 pm

I'm working on a knit scarf this week a
one skien project for fun
it's in pastel baby colors!
Well I had to rip it out and started again with a better pattern but making progress again
on it now!

Yesterday I got two ofthe three colors of yarn for granny square throw on the love seat still looking for the third color.

Dgson wants one in camo colors I'm trying to figure out what colors he things is camo! LOL!
Before starting his.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Do be careful with that, Nancy, one person's idea of "camo" might be different from another's! Great progress on the other projects.

Sunny, I'm so happy for you and dgd, getting to sew together and make a memory. For a few corner squares the hand sewing would be minimal - might as well "just do it" rather than puzzling over it so that you can move on!

Harmony, I made a pattern from a half-apron with a scalloped edge before I put it in a gift box for dear aunt. Still have in my mind making another from my favorite apron, but that one had to get copied quick. I use a roll of package-wrapping paper (lighter weight than manila, but like office supply wrapping). Cheap.

The sewing machine is calling to you, calling... ... ;)

Dd11 and I are cutting out pincushion pieces today, from little scraps mostly. Looking through my old stuff for a button or two for the center(s).

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:17 pm

I`just`have`to`decide`which`pale`blue`to`use`to`finish`my`squares.
I`have`just`got`a`sky`blue`but`it`is`a`different`brand`so`crochets`to`a`different`texture,
or`a`dusty`blue`with`grey`tinge.
I`might`do`one`more`"sky"blue`then`lay`them`all`out`.
unfortunately`cloudy`today`so`natural`light`won't`be`as`great.
I`did`a`puta`mockup`with`black`boarders`and`think`it`may`just`work-`v`striking.

I'm`thinking`piecing`it`together`will`be`tedious.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Harriet, have you seen Sue Hausmann's method for an easy scallop hem?

Two layers (either both the same size for a full lining, or the lining the size of a border),
draw & sew the scallops,
trim & clip the seam allowance,
turn right sides out & press.

It makes a bit heavier hem but no fussing with awkward scallops.
Of course the lining layer can be a lighter weight fabric than the outside, maybe that would help. However, for an apron, I would think 2 layers of cotton, or the fashion fabric with a muslin lining, would be just that much more protection.

Sue also has a way of doing a decorative trim using rickrack instead of piping. Very cute on aprons, placemats, table runners, pillowcases. It makes a pretty join or border between two sections. Sorry, I'm not describing it well and will try to find a picture.

Return to “The Creative Home”