Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2010

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2010

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:12 pm

I need to get pink camo yarn for dgds shawl next time I’m down town. done!!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:24 am

I've been having great fun this evening actually learning how to use the mat and rotary cutter! Quite some time ago, I received a bag that had a bunch of 4" squares of fleece, along with several scraps big enough to cut more out of. Now I need to sew them all together into strips of 5 squares each, then sew 4 strips together to make the tops for some kittycat mats.

Back to my machine!
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:46 am

Pretty card, TwinsMom.

Nancy ~ Is pink camo the same as pink variegated?

Bittersweet ~ Lucky kitties, to get mats that are pretty as well as soft and warm.

Harriet ~ The mention of scallops on the card reminds me of a table runner I saw last month. The outside border was scallops made similar to the way we talked about for the bottom of an apron. She just folded the border right sides together (lengthwise, of course), used the scallop decorative stitch on her sewing machine, trimmed and turned it right side out. The scallop stitch was just the right size in proportion to the dimensions of the table runner. I think it would be pretty on a candle mat, too, and your bookmarks as well.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:37 pm

Pink camo is actually what the red heart has on the package of this yarn.
Yes it is variegated with pink, plus tan in two shades and cream or an off white color.

I've been in the basement digging around and found an apron in child's size so now I
am thinking that I need to do one up for dgd #3 maybe for her bday this mo. or
Christmas if I do not get it done in time.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:25 pm

I've`been`hooking`in`the`ends`of`my`3rd`last`row`of`squares`this`week.
I`got`stopped`by`the`emerald`green`as`I`couldn't`see`it`well`enough..
I`want`to`do`that`now..so`I`can`join`next`row`of`squares`tonight.
DONE:)
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:49 am

LynL. yea for progress!!!

I am 3/4ths of the way done with the tan prayer shawl now
it keeps me warm while I work on it.

Time to get the new project going.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:22 pm

bittersweet, I knew you'd love it! The mat and cutter are so ... ... geometric! :D

Great to hear about Lynlee's and Nancy's progress.

BookSaver, how is the balance between work and play these days for your newsletter and guild? I hope the enjoyment is winning out. (Although the newsletter work is probably creative, too.) I came across old copy art I used to use to make church newsletters when I worked as a secretary - that was pleasant work back then.)

"What I'm reading" dept - On a chance moment waiting in library for dd12, I discovered that they had gotten in a new copy of this exquisite book, and I have to tell you it is a delight. If you click on this link, you can choose "view more pages" under the cover image to see a few of the 487 pages that have me drooling - um- I mean staring. ;) I have always loved Jinny Beyer's books, her quilts, and her philosophy, for that matter. At this stage in my love of quilts, I don't see myself making many single-pattern quilts in the future, because my delight comes with making something unusual (and then the next something unusual) and because I already have such a collection of different blocks now that I really need to start thinking in terms of samplers, anyway.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Tan shawl is done.

Pink camo is not camo print when knitted up in this project
but rather a self striping one. sigh oh well I was sort of hoping it would knit
in camo print or design.

Dark brown shawl is under way.

Next up:
Child size aprons for dgd gift to use with her new toy kitchen.
I have one for a pattern and will need to create a cobbler one
so she can have one like her mom's! Side track alert!

http://tipnut.com/56-free-apron-patterns-you-can-make/

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:30 am

Ok that link inspired me and I got one of those cobble aprons made up for dgd,
and the other kind for her doll before the birthday party yesterday.
It was great because the apron matched her outfit perfectly just like it
was planned or something I love that!

I have another one for her to wear here about half way done so I am looking forward
to finishing that up! The website said these work great to protect clothes for kids
that have out grown bibs so I had to have one for here too!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:54 am

Spent the majority of the day with a few sewing friends. Mostly fun, but didn't get as much done as I'd hoped. Wrote out a long explanation but deleted it as being too negative. I want to go to sleep tonight feeling that this was mostly a good day.

Harriet ~ I'm not a quilter, my years of sewing have been on clothes. I want to start using quilting techniques to make table runners and wall hangings to decorate the house (art quilts), but have accepted that I will never have the time or space to do full-size quilts.

This week's project children's gift items are soft toys made from printed fabric panels. They each have a printed front and back which are sewn together, turned right side out, and stuffed.

One is a teddy bear with a pocket which holds a little stuffed heart.

Another is a vintage Christmas panel with 6 small individual animals -- puppy with long scarf carrying gift boxes, puppy with poinsettia, kitten in sweater with ball ornament, bunny in stocking cap with wreath, mouse in Santa hat with sack of toys, koala in little dress carrying a big candy cane. They are all very cute, 5" or 6" high. The instructions say to attach hangers to turn them into ornaments, but I'm just going to treat them as soft baby toys.

The 3rd panel is a little more complicated with a Noah's ark theme -- a red & blue boat shape with pockets on each side which hold 4 stuffed animals (yellow camel, yellow sheep, red elephant, green giraffe).

I didn't get all of the Noah's ark cut out so may not finish it for this deadline, but can always do it another time. I have 2 weeks to complete the others and I'll be happy with getting that much done.

I need to stop somewhere tomorrow and buy a bag of fiberfill for stuffing. I thought I had some but if so, it's buried and I don't want to get sidetracked looking for it.

I've decided that I do want to try to make your bookmarks for my fellow board members, once I finish these toys. I've picked out a group of coordinating fabrics but need to add stiff interfacing to my shopping list for tomorrow. (Again, know I have some around here somewhere, but ... ) I'd like to deliver the bookmarks in cards at the same meeting in 2 weeks.

Return to “The Creative Home”