Art, Craft and Needlework, January 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, January 2011

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Nancy, I'm so glad you have had a chance to get some creativity in. Btw, in my ddad's "Reminisce" magazine he saw there was a photo of the 1920s, he thinks, that had a granny square afghan shown over the couch! I'll have to take a look at it if he can find it again. To tell you the truth, I thought they were a more recent thing than that - shows how much I know.

My creativity has been slowed because of having my family underfoot for several bad-weather days. I have had a little enjoyment with the help I gave dd12 with her science fair project. I cut her printed titles and statements down to size for her using my rotary cutter.

Next up really needs to be getting dd30's Bible cover done. Her b-day is only 10 days away, and I don't know when they might be able to come - maybe earlier.

I read on a message board the idea that a seamstress had of never giving handmade gifts for Christmas anymore, only b-day presents. She was saying that in the hustle-bustle of so many gifts, wrappings, responsibilities, etc. her handmade gifts were less appreciated and the recipient just couldn't concentrate on them. She said she had learned they were more appreciated on b-days, when the person was more relaxed and apt to notice a nice thing being done just for them. She was going to give smaller purchased gifts at Christmas and concentrate her personal time on the birthday gifts instead. She thought this way she herself wouldn't get her feelings hurt so much when someone didn't seem to care about her gift of time. I hadn't thought of it that way before.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:45 pm

I have a knitted prayer shawl going and crochet granny square throw currently.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:18 am

Today I took the papers off my 4 mini paper-pieced quilt blocks (3.5 inches) for the Bible cover. Before I did that I copied one of them onto graph paper so I would still have the paper pattern for it. I worked out the math as far as what size pieces will still be needed for the cover itself and started auditioning some fabrics and scraps. I prewashed and pressed 3 fat quarters that have reddish tones. Might not use all but they could all be washed together so that I didn't waste effort.

I took a nap today (somewhat unplanned) and realized I was "making" the cover as I drifted off, trying to figure out how I want to do it. Dd doesn't think she wants batting but I'm concerned it won't be very protective without it and might not hold its own shape very well. Not sure.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:29 pm

These book cover instructions make more sense than any others I've found on the internet. I will probably use these, but will just fold the flap edges under rather than completely lining the flaps. Also, I'll be inserting handles. Don't know if I'll topstitch around the outside when it's finished - might wait to see it on the book in case it is already tight. Maybe when it's finished I'll machine quilt a line or two near the spine for stability.

It took me a while to understand what they were saying about it being reversible. Mine wont be reversible anyway, because dd30 wants handles, and if you "reversed" it the handles would be all bunched up inside, so I won't even try for reversible. But if you did completely line the flaps the way they say I guess it would work. I'll probably have a better understanding of it after I make it. It's awfully 3-dimensional for my little brain to comprehend right now!

Today I made the 2 patchwork centers for each side of the cover. These are 5" x 6.5". Next, I'll border them both with a darker fabric all around, extra in the middle (spine) and that will finish the outer cover.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:58 am

Found small granny squares already done at the thrift shop this weekend and
made a doll blanket for dgd out of them while the game was on.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:48 pm

That's a nice project, Harriet.

OK, I need suggestions. I have to come up with gift basket type gifts for one of the ministries. It can be something baked or made or bought. I did gifts for one couple last weekend and ended up with a kit of 2 list-type pads with their initial on top, magnatized to hang up with a pencil and a matching square magnet. I also got one of those inspirational flip packets, and 2 of those old fashioned rolls of life savers with all the different colors, and 2 cards.

I thought we'd be doing this every 3 months, but my info says one a month.

I need suggestions of stuff I can make to include. I found some pretty bookmark ideas and copied the pattern for a personal tissue holder, but so far that is it.

Sometimes this basket might be for a guy, too. They pick someone who has been sick or needs encouragement, etc.

Any ideas?

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:36 pm

A coaster would be a small handmade item that wouldn't take too long and is just as much for a man as a woman, especially if you choose a fabric a guy would like. Here's one pattern/how-to. I see no reason to quilt as much as her photo shows, or use as many pins as her photo shows when you stitch around the edge. Doesn't have to be in a set, either - one could be cute. Once I saw a gift of a coaster that had an attached card that said, "For John's Mug". Seemed funny at the time. editing to add dd says she saw a tag on one that said "A place to set the glass that's wet"

A thing to think about is that the bookmark or coaster are not taking up much room in the gift basket. If the point is to fill a gift-space you might want to choose bigger, easier things. I am of 2 minds on this - I want you to have fun and make this new ministry "your own" so you'll enjoy. On the other hand, I want you to be able to get these responsibilities done quickly so you won't be overwhelmed. Think about one thing - if you start making handmade items, will you always be expected to make them? Can you ever cut back?

For more handmade gift ideas, in our link thread when you click on "Ideas for getting projects finished" and look in the listing on the right, there's another page in the list called "Quick Gift Ideas".

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Thanks Harriet! I copied off the coaster directions, my they are pretty! And I like the set of them tied up with a ribbon. I don't know how big a basket they use, but there are 10 of us contributing gifts. For this last one someone baked brownies. I know someone bought a candle.

What I need to do is just do some stuff ahead of time and decide when they pick a name what to include.

Going to go look at the other link also.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Here is a link to a set of the same coasters made from those directions by another lady. I thought this was the funniest way to be able to post photos yet still warn her own family not to peek before they received their gifts.

How is the tea cozy plan coming along, Indiana?

Nancy, I love "rescue" of little creative orphan things and making something from them. Of course the difference between you and me is that you immediately make something, and I dream about it while they wait.

Interested to hear about BookSaver's charity sewing day and how much they got done.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks for saying that Harriet!

Yesterday while all the grand kids were here the older two were working on learning
crocheting the oldest one is learning granny squares the directions in the package
of the craft kit at the yard sale helped. The younger one is trying to do something
besides just a chain to "turn a corner" as dson calls it. They used the bright colors of yarn and
the beads for some friend ship bracelets and cross necklaces. Dgson wanted to do
some also I told him I was going to have him do some braiding and weaving.
My spare hooks go home with them and do not come back so I need to get some others
at the thrift shop next time I'm there.

Return to “The Creative Home”