Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Lisa B.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2011

Postby Lisa B. » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:10 am

Indiana wrote:Oh Lisa that is a perfect block. I like the way you laid it out. The colors really complement each other in the layout.

Nice work.

Thank you very much, Indiana.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:05 pm

Updating our donation knowledge/links:

Bev at Country Cottage has JUST finished updating her HUGE listing of organizations that accept crochet and knit items for charity. If our knitters and crocheters know of sites that are good for actually seeing photos, please let us know. There are SO many! Wow. I guess this is because of so many hospital uses for crochet/knit items.

Wanted to remind us all again of the Wrap Them In Love charity site, which shows a photo of every textile (mostly quilts) they receive as a donation. They have recently gotten their entire 2010 donations of 170 color photos up on 21 pages, so viewers can see an accurate overview of the kinds of charity quilts that are being made right now.

It's true that viewing this, especially when several donations in a row are very modest/homely, might make us think, "I would give something nicer than THAT." But then, that in itself is valuable knowledge in my opinion, because there needs to be an honest record kept of what these charities really receive to work with as they try to meet needs.

Also, MaryQuilts is a pattern collection (look down the left side for list) of mostly donation-appropriate quilts. She does have a few that would be time consuming, but most are aimed at fast construction. She links to Heartstrings, which is a group that makes mostly string-quilt donations (and has a big photo collection under "photo albums" to left of homepage), and to her personal blog. Btw, for all of us who were interested in Suzlew's Tennessee Waltz quilt, the blog has a variation of it down the page in blue, with one photo of the separated blocks, so it's easy to see how it goes together.

To send a utility quilt to victims of overseas disasters, consider the largest worldwide provider, Lutheran World Relief. LWR quilts need to be uniform in size, approximately 60"x80", for the most cost-effective shipping. LWR needs warm quilts, so thicker battings like old clean blankets are fine.

In fact, if anyone knows of charity sites we ought to know about for ANY type of creativity donations, please share links.

Continuing to gather: these are ideas for animal shelter donations

http://www.pleasebekind.com/ccp.html

http://www.snugglesproject.org/docs/SP_projectsheet.pdf

Donations of handmade cards
To benefit children with life-threatening illness
http://www.loveletterscares.com/
To benefit deployed U.S. soldiers
http://cardsforsoldiers.blogspot.com/

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Today was a good sewing day. I got one character house block done and the last one (number 14) just needs the roof. Planned the one little dog house I'll be putting in. :) Dd has been vetoing roof fabrics and we've come down to the same one for the last house and the dog house, but they won't be close to each other and the little one is in sections, so they should still seem different.

Next comes filling in with the background sky and grass, then a very simple border.

Now that we have baby news, my order of UFOs to finish probably has to change again.

There will be a shower for the new baby and I would like to give a quilt to ds25 like I did for dd31's baby shower. Since the quilt will be given before the birth, I think it would be appropriate to go with pastels even if it is a boy. So the partially finished 1930s quilt top comes to mind again. I had intended to use a scalloped border for this quilt, but then, I had assumed there might be a girl sometime! (smile)

So I'm researching 1930s type borders that are not too feminine. But also considering starting from scratch and just keeping this top in the closet, believing someday someone will have a girl, or maybe I will have time to make it for myself.

I added LWRelief's link to the above charity listing. Learning about all the charity quilting being done makes me yearn for time to do some. Heartstrings is asking for any number of blocks made in their square pattern type of string block with lime green centers, and they will have sew-ins to put them together into quilts. Would love to send them a few. No new projects... ... no new projects... ...

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:27 am

re: charity I got a letter from mom yesterday and she is knitting up lap robes for the nursing home that my sis works at. In the past I have given local PD and Fire dept. items they give to kids in crisis.

The local quilting guild gives "quilts for kids" is what they call the program.

One church we used to attend takes donations also and will take fabric donations for the
quilts they make.

I like local options that save the cost of postage!

Return to “The Creative Home”