Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2011

Postby Harmony » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Harriet, did you pad the cover and quilt to inside fabric? Pockets on the inside? And if so, did you stitch in the ditch?

I am making my placemats to send to DD1. She uses them on a kitchen glass top table. I picked fabrics with an eye to what she has in that great room, gold on walls, beiges, etc. I have all 4 made, just 2 of them need the machine quilting done. They turned out quite elegant I think! Each has 15 squares / triangles pieced. I didn't have the skill knowledge to do one basic square that I'd never done before, so had to teach myself. I don't know as much as I thought I did!

Will try to get a picture here.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Harriet, the book cover is so pretty. I love the colors and the block designs. How neat that it is a "one of a kind" for your dd!

While surfing the internet one day I found instructions on how to do a one seam flying geese block English style. The directions were easy and I made up a couple with some scraps I had. I want to decide a project to use the blocks and get some material. Here is the YouTube tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y. I think there's all kinds of blocks that can be made with this pattern.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:00 pm

... ...so had to teach myself. I don't know as much as I thought I did

I almost came in here and posted something like that phrase while working on this tough block. Several times I have cleverly fixed the problem only to realize I've created a new one. :roll:

Harmony, I used a thin batting scrap and layered it under the top by itself first, yes. And quilted 1/4-inch around the outside of each rectangle quilt block, then quilted in-the-ditch a little within each. Then I layered according to the lady's plan (and I did end up using the recommended type of sleeves/flaps that are doubled, for a completely lined flap). When I was finished with the cover I went back and quilted a rectangle along the spine of the book, because I was thinking the whole thing needed one anchoring place where the lining was secured to the top. Didn't make any additional pockets on the inside, no, but the flaps themselves make two nice pockets against the book, fine for a few papers.

As I look over this tutorial again, I realize it helped me a lot to have already seen that first tutorial. The second is the most helpful for layering but the first helped me "get" how a book cover is made, too. A book cover is awfully 3-dimensional :? and my brain needed all the help I could get.

Nancy, she's doing well to already be on scarves. I can't believe your dgd is that age, though - I remember you chatting about taking her on walks when she was tiny. There were ladies checking out yarn at the dollar store I shopped the other day. It seemed to be half-skeins of some type at a dollar each. They weren't too impressed, I don't think (lots of oranges, I noticed), but at a dollar they bought some anyway.

Sunny, dd and I watched the video and enjoyed the idea. Dd says: "That's pretty cool." :) I think that is the first time I heard Ricky Tims' voice and saw him giving a lesson, actually, although I have admired his quilts in magazines for years. Let us know if you come up with a fun project with it.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:40 pm

Tht was a cute tutorial. Very clear. However, I'm finding that my mechanical inabilities transfers to quilting in the same way. To follow his method I'd probably have to go over and over it. One thing in school I never did get was geometry. I'm fne when I'm doing squares, but put a triangle in there and it's like I'm totally lost.

What kind of scarf pattern was your DGD using? Scarves are on my Chistmas list for next Dec.

Now I'm sorry I actually have a nice book cover for my Bible. It is leather (or plastic) with a handle along the spine, a zipper all the way around a zipper pocket on the outside of one side and a reg. pocket on the other. Course, most of the things I've made I've given away. I think I only have 1 thing I've made here. The rest were gifts.

My last place mat is finished. Word of advice, it is never a good thing to run over the edge of one's finger with the rotary cutter.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:50 am

I worked so much on the crochet afghan that my elbow is sore so taking a break from that project for a bit.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 am

Hello Ladies,

I've attached the block I've done for my partner in the Mosaic block exchange. My partners fabric was just too beautiful for words. I hope she will like it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:59 am

Nancy, when you take a break for a while when that happens do you work on something else or just wait? I guess knitting is a different motion, but still might aggravate it. Often that kind of thing will show up as pain in my neck and shoulders.

Lisa, I like that the lavender color of the rectangles is picked up in the roses fabric - were they made to go together? The corners look like lattice for the rose to climb. Where was your partner from? She will be thrilled, square block at 12.5, you can't ask for anything more.

Harmony, are you healed? That is a terrible thing to read you know! You really need to give daily updates when you post something like that! Yikes! Btw, ds25 cut the side of his finger slightly with his last week (coupons). Sunny was bragging on your placemats in PWYC.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:41 am

Harriet, thank you for the compliments. The lavender fabric is not the same as the roses fabric, but they do look as though they do go together. The 3 outer fabrics are what I've chosen to use for my partner's centre square. My partner is in the USA, in Michigan. I sent her the same centre square fabric that you see on the blocks I've posted last month when I was practising making the block.

These blocks will be an ongoing exchange. I plan to use all mine when I get them back in a queen size quilt for my own bed. My DH just loves the colours and the design from my centre square.

Sunny, I enjoyed that video clip, thank you.

Harmony
, I hope your finger is healed. Not pleasant at all to slice oneself with the rotary cutter.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Granny squares are complete now for the attaching them together section of this process.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Oh Lisa that is a perfect block. I like the way you laid it out. The colors really complement each other in the layout.

Nice work.

Return to “The Creative Home”