Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2011

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:21 am

Welcome to our thread about the creative side of life! We hope you'll hop right in and join us!

Last month's thread was full of shared experience of the fun we're having after those household chores are done:

Nancy is learning new stitches and learning more about making slippers and mittens. She finished some prayer shawls last month. The grandchildren are having fun with crochet, friendship bracelets and cross necklaces.

Indiana decided on her projects for 2011 and listed them on a card. She has a goal of reporting more!

Lisa delighted us with photos of her table runners in progress, and the fun she's having making quilt blocks to exchange.

Lynlee came in to encourage us!

Harmony is gleaning ideas for her handmade gifts for gift-baskets. She wants to make some in advance.

Harriet took a detour to make a Bible-cover and then went back to her prioritized projects, to sew blocks for grandson's toddler quilt. Dd12 is having fun with plastic lace weaving.

What will YOU be creating in February? :idea:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2011

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:10 pm

I have done all I can on the granny square project until I get more yarn to finish it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:08 pm

BibleCoverSmallJan2011.JPG

Found out that dd31 won't be able to come until mid-month anyway :( so I'm going to go ahead and post the bookcover photographs. The only thing I did after the photos was to machine quilt one rectangle of stitching at the spine of the book so all the layers would be quilted together at that one place for more stability.

In the second photo, I have a similarly sized book inside. Hopefully, the two patchwork sections will center more or less on the front and back covers. I had machine quilted along some of the long seam lines inside the patchwork sections and 1/4-inch around the outside of each.

BibleCoverCloseSmJan2011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Harriet the book cover is wonderful. I like the squares you choose and the colors. She will love it.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Just beautiful, Harriet. Thanks for sharing. I will be making 4 placemats for a gift. I have my fabric picked out and my graph-paper plan.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:04 pm

Harriet that's lovely!

I've done the section on my knitting prayer shawl knitting project for today.
While I watch news on Egypt and think and pray for that situation.

Dgd started a muliti color crochet scarf when she was here last night.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:10 am

Harriet,

The book cover is just gorgeous. I love it. Did you use a specific pattern or did you make it up as you went along. I'm certain your DD will love it. The colours are great.

I'm wondering if the same sort of idea could be used for a lever-arch file that stores my printed projects that I like and will some day be done. There are several things I've got off the internet for free and one day hope to make them.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:53 pm

I am nearing the end of the current knitting project.
Back to the crocheting next.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone! The project started meaning a lot more to me as I went along and thought about it being for my faraway child's spiritual life, you know, so I'm really glad you like it.

Lisa, Dd had specifically asked for patchwork. When I looked at examples on the internet, most had patchwork in the form of strips that traveled on out across the seam/edges. That bothered me - I was thinking that it would make the sewing hard, or the edges lumpy or something. So I decided I wanted to keep patchwork away from edges and corners, and I treated the front and back covers as framed 5x6.5 designs. Otherwise, it was just a matter of figuring out a workable size of quilt blocks and then following this free construction tutorial using the measurements for Dd's book. (The lady has a "PS" at the end of her instructions that links to a printable version.)

Nancy, that is a wise way for spending our time when news events get stressful. How old is dgd now, to already be making a scarf?

Harmony, that's a good gift idea for anyone. Are you trying to match colors in the dining area? Graph paper in 1/4 inch is so much help for "seeing" ideas.

I tried to make extra-tall windows for one of the house blocks to get to use a particular fabric and I'm having to remake the block - the windows don't look like windows if they just traveling up into the roof like that... ... This is number 11 of 14.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Dgd is 5th grade 10 - 11 yrs. old age range.

I finished the knitting project yesterday a prayer shawl.
Refrained from getting yarn for mystery project yesterday!

I did get yarn for the last rounds on two final granny squares, I still need solid tan for the last round on some of those but did not want to get the wrong color. Happy that I've made progress on this project.

Return to “The Creative Home”