Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2011

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Nancy, that way (ripping out for more appreciated projects) you do not have so many UFOs hanging on!

((Harmony)) You are choosing the better part. And you will have time to enjoy later. I remember a woman at our previous church (when I was a young mother) laying on the guilt by telling younger women, "Everyone takes the time to do what they really WANT to do." In other words, saying that if you weren't attending all the church functions and agreeing to serve on work committees that you were CHOOSING to have fun instead. At the time, from the middle of my harried life, I remember thinking, "I don't care how wise you're supposed to be, that's a bunch of malarky!" :lol: Now, in my own age of wisdom, I know how right I was. We take our responsibility and feel gratitude if there's time left over, because there won't always be any.

Yesterday, Wednesday, I completed 2 more house blocks, and in 4 of the 5 vertical rows, had gotten at least 2 blocks sewn into each row.

Today, I got past one of the two really tough intersections and now 2 of the rows are partially sewn together, with 3.5 blocks in each row, so about 7 blocks sewn together in one 18x30 rectangle. I have relied on my trusty seam ripper more today than ever.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Yes Harriet that does help!
I have the blue granny squares half done now yea!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Nice to be at the half-way point, Nancy. Blue is probably my favorite color.

Good luck to OKay, who is quilting some by hand we hear in PWYC.

Since I last posted, I've made one more landscape block, finished another house block, and joined the 2 into the start of the 5th vertical row (far left). It was more tedius this time, but now all 5 have their starts, the joins match up, and I can see where I'll even each one out with at least one neighboring row (two on left and 3 on right) with straight bottom edges. Then I'll have 2 large rectangles that will be easy to join with their lower parts, and I can set these top parts aside to wait until the lowers are ready.

I've been researching quilting options. That's still a question mark. If I just do this myself on the machine, I'll be glad I kept this construction in two vertical parts, because they will be easier to machine-quilt and join later.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:40 pm

I have the blue granny squares done and
now I"m working on green ones great for St. Pat's week!

Correction I thought I had the blue squares done!
Had to make up a few more I'd miss counted.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:46 am

Okay now I'm done with those. LOL! Dgds counted them yesterday after school for me
and then the eldest one wanted to know how to attach blocks so I showed her and she is working on putting hers together now I'm quite pleased with her progress and she is too. So this is fun for us to work on together.

Back to working on the green blocks for #2 dgd.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Oh, Nancy, that is such fun to think of having time with dgd and being able to teach her. Yep, a lot of progress if she is already putting granny squares together herself. HRH has made a request for some coasters from dd. That should be fun and she wouldn't have to worry about getting them perfect.

Today I completed the house-and-doghouse section of the toddler quilt. Dd12 wants me to make the roof of one of the houses a barn (gambrel) roof style and I don't think that would be hard, just needs a little planning. There are only 5 more houses to set onto grass :) and 3 landscape/hills blocks to set in. Then the bottom piece and it's ready for borders.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:52 am

I can't wait to see the finished pic Harriet.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:02 pm

I've completed 2/3 rd's of the granny squares for the green project that I am currently working on it's great to have steady progress on this.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:23 pm

All but one of the green granny squares are done now yea for progress!

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:37 pm

Here are pictures of a bracelet I made this morning. It is amazing what you can do with some wire and a few beads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Return to “The Creative Home”