Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2011

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:03 am

Greetings, creative minds! March looks like a perfect creativity month here because the wind is blowing me back into the house. :shock: No matter what your weather, remember to nurture your bright, inventive side and have some fun with your favorite handiwork and art.

First, some "Ouch, feel better!"s going out:
to Nancy for elbow that was strained while crocheting,
and Harmony for rotary cutter accident that hurt her finger.

Lots of interesting creativity here lately.

LisaB is participating in an exchange of quilt blocks and posted a photo of her lovely exchange block. (lucky partner!)
Sunny is pondering a fun patchwork project and shared a link to a tutorial for it.
Harriet continues working on blocks for dgs's toddler quilt.
Nancy finished a prayer shawl and is working on a Granny Square project. Her dgd is making a scarf. Nancy says she prays about world news concerns as she stitches. :idea:
Harmony finished a set of placemats as a gift for her daughter, and they turned out elegant!
Expecting Indiana's reports any time now... ... ducking and running!
We heard that Nancy's mom is making knitted lap robes for a nursing home.

Collecting info on charities requesting donations of handmade items (page 3 of Feb thread). We'll have this info in the link section soon. Feel free to suggest some that haven't been thought of yet, or any better information you may know.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2011

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Progress report!
Finished up a rather large lap robe last night. This morning started a smaller project using up odds and ends making these fun to work up with random stripes!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:46 pm

HousesSketch2011small.JPG

Staring at my sketchpad of 1/4-inch graph paper a lot lately trying to make the design wall look like the drawing. (those are doodles below) The notes on the side say, 8-inch blocks, 40x40 inner, one line is unnecessary, and to applique the bottom piece. The notes inside are about fabric choices.

The houses exist in fabric now, but their roofs are only partially sewn on, so that I can piece the background in. The biggest house is replaced by a house and doghouse. Another block has strange "architecture" now because I made a mistake. Obviously to make it by the bday this will have to be machine quilted and it's beginning to look more and more like I'll be doing it myself to finish in time. It's a cheerful wall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 am

Wow Harriet that is going to be a great looking quilt. There is a lot of detail to take care of. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:15 am

Yeah, I got a little carried away. You recognize the signs of perfectionism, Indiana, don't you? lol Can't possibly just put the blocks in rows for my VIP dgs, he must have a landscape! "Perfect" sure is fascinating, but how nice would "finished" be right now? lol Perfectionism is not sane, but it is manageable. Just one block at a time, I can handle it. I awakened this a.m. with the method for doing a curved seam replaying in my head, rehearsing, lol.

Nancy was talking about odds and ends becoming new fun. A lot of the little pieces in this are odds and ends - it makes you feel virtuous, using what still has value and can be important again.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:15 pm

I needed a smaller project this time did a purse to hang on my shoulder for yarn so I can knit
on the go, and did a hat to go with it. These were fun in stripes with more of the left overs!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:42 am

Is that your first purse, Nancy? Hope you enjoy it! You're smart to have an easy way to carry some handwork.

Today I completed 3 house blocks with their background fabrics and created one "sky" block with a curved seam that turned out right the first time. Whew! This is not without mistakes, of course. I've gotten the seam ripper out a couple times. Won't be sewing the blocks together until I figure out some tricky areas.

Missing seeing LisaB and wondering how her projects are turning out.

Just editing this earlier post to document - On Tuesday I completed 2 house blocks with their background fabrics and created 1 sky block and 1 hills block, each with curved seams. So, 9 house blocks to go, but hard to estimate how many "blocks" left for background/hills since they are tied in with one another.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:13 am

I don't think this was my first bag but can't remember the last one I made.
Maybe for one of the grand daughters.

This weekend I ripped out odds and ends of the rest of the granny squares that
were not for specific projects to salvage the yarn.

Got going again on another project of blue granny squares and made great progress on these.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:16 pm

I've been avoiding this thread, since there is no way I can do anything these days...and am a little sad about that.

Harriet, that's not a house quilt that's a whole village! I just love it.

It reminds me of the row of victorian houses cross stitch I have not finished in years and years. It still makes me smile to get it out and look at it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:55 am

I've been working on a blue granny square project and have enough for the first couple
of rows done I think now.

Return to “The Creative Home”