Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2011

Postby Harriet » Sat May 21, 2011 10:45 am

Well, then I do understand exactly what kind of quilting you are doing, Sunny, and yes it can be more time consuming than you would think. The fastest you can do is the straight lines, of course, but even then it takes more time with basting or pinning than it probably would for the foot that is made for it (walking). Rolling so much fabric up to squeeze it within the arm of the machine can be a challenge. When you get it finished, though, it is so gratifying. Best wishes for pleasant spaces of time to work, and hopefully get up a rhythm. Remember, I have not quilted one myself lately but have sent them for quilting, so you are doing lots more than me in that regard.

Yesterday I got 2 airplane blocks finished, one more kite block finished and 2 other airplanes cut out. So for that one day I was really on target, but I need to stay that productive on along.

Nancy, when you say looper, which do you mean? I got the impression of making the loop potholders, which I love so.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat May 21, 2011 11:42 am

The loopers I am referring to are the newer ones that take yarn and you can make hats,
scarves etc. with them. I have the daisy loopers too might have a pot holder looper here
too I'm not sure. I'll have to look.

#1 dgd is going to be making throws for her younger sisters this summer I think!

Got some progress on the project I"m working on another prayer shawl.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat May 21, 2011 2:18 pm

I haven't used those but I've seen them and they look like fun!

DD31 sent me an advertisement for an online sewing class. It looks too difficult for dd12, and as for me, I'm not sure I would use it. Dressmaking mostly. Sensible skills but when will I have the time to learn them.

Have finished the most difficult kite block. Whew. That leaves 11 blocks yet to finish, though most are partly complete. Then putting them together, sewing down the "kite tails" (which will be a new skill and I'll have to change thread color twice), sewing on 2 borders, and making the backing. That's about 8 days of part-time work as I see it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue May 24, 2011 10:43 pm

As of Monday evening, backing is made.
As of Tuesday evening, all 3 boat blocks completed, last 2 kite blocks completed, a few seams on the truck.
Hopefully tomorrow, finishing the last pinwheel, the last airplane, and the truck plus wheels.
Hopefully Thursday, figure out the kite tails and sew them, and make the last corner block that's a puzzle so far.
Then it's Conga Friday to get ready for houseguests, so all sewing will have to stop through Sunday.
Hopefully Monday, sew the center of the quilt all together.

Having eye trouble trying to believe the second piece of background fabric bought later really matches - sometimes I think it looks lighter and I get worried. Then within minutes, I can't see a difference and think I must be going crazy!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu May 26, 2011 10:02 am

Harriet, are you looking at the fabrics in natural light? Of course you know that any sort of artificial light will change colors and shadows. In any case, if they're that close, will it really matter once they're combined with other colors in pieced blocks?

I absolutely adore your "Friendly Neighbors" quilt. I've been trying to figure out how to share the photo with sewing friends, without letting anyone else know about this site. Could you Email a jpg?

It makes me so happy every time I stop by this thread and see all of you having fun with your projects.

Nancy, if I'm understanding what you mean by "loopers" then I have the 2 smallest ones. I think the 1 was called a "flower loom" on the package, but I've use it to make long skinny scarves and fingerless gloves from very soft yarn. The other 1 is more like the old-fashioned thread spool loom, and I'm currently using it to knit cords for simple drawstring bags.

Return to “The Creative Home”