Art, Craft and Needlework, July, 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, July, 2011

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Sunbonnet babies quilts are so heart-warming, sherinjoy. So childlike and wholesome. Thanks for the kind words.

I have been wanting to get back to this particular space because I had the chance to read Harmony's post but not respond yet, since I had a houseguest. First, congratulations, Harmony! Is this the son in the Carolinas or a daughter in FL who will be blessed?

That is the constant question, isn't it. Not much time but really wanting to do something special for a quilt. I remember being completely paralyzed before making my last two baby quilts until I knew whether a boy or a girl. Of course, in the past people made generic baby quilts (a lot of mint green!) because no one knew in advance. But now when almost all parents find out first, that doesn't seem to make as much sense any more. I couldn't even seem to come up with a thought until that phone call, "It's a ___".

I have read that it is actually faster to applique in simple shapes (not the Baltimore Album fancy kind) than to piece to create the same size quilt top. Honestly I haven't done enough applique to prove that personally. I machine appliqued the wheels on the truck for the baby quilt recently, and I was nervous about it, but it went fine. So who knows. I think the trick would be just one block at a time, nothing onto big expanses of fabric. (I used this method and a blanket stitch so the wheels would be soft not stiff.)

Keepsake Quilting says just buy their already cut-out shapes (they have lots for children) and spray the backs with fusible spray (they sell one called 606), affix and then applique by machine without turning under for really fast quilts. I have never tried this, but it does interest me, wondering if it would make the quilt stiff.

For a cute new pieced baby quilt pattern out there, I have seen this oneand it really makes me do a double-take but I can see how it is simple blocks. It's sold several places, I just picked this site because they show a larger view when you click on it and give fabric requirements. Of course, this typespeaks to my little traditional scrap-collecting heart, of course.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm excited for some projects this fall I've even been dreaming of crafts! :idea: Don't you just love that.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Some of my cards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:23 pm

Beautiful cards Twins! I love your creative artistry with the colors and shapes. Thanks for sharing.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Your layers of bordering around the cards give them a lot of presence, importance. I like the ones with plenty of contrast, but I see what you mean about the almost monochromatic sympathy card, how it would be prettier in the hand than in a photo. As I've told you before, an oval shape draws my eye, so I assumed that was going to be my favorite, and then I saw the tree branch extending onto the border, lol, so don't know now.

Nancy, I know exactly what you mean! Falling asleep with a smile on your face for sure.

Harmony, I've thought of so many ways your question could be answered. So many quilts, so little time as they say. Lots of ways to have fun with it.

Sunny, how's it going out there?

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:42 am

I like the cards, Twins, you are very talented.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:32 am

I started a crocheted hat last night first project I've began this summer.

Dgd sent an e-mail asking if the loom is ready so I need to work on that this week.
Worked on it a bit this morning.

I also go the shoulder pads out of a new to me gold top I got today.
Did not get any more yarn today but I"m not quite out yet.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:18 am

Nancy, I wonder if you would be doing so much work with yarn if your house was as hot as ours?!

Twins, your cards are really beautiful. I am in awe. We have a woman on our committee who makes her own cards and sends them to those in need in our church and I have seen lots of them, but yours are far superior. You really have a gift.

Harriet, thank you for your quilt ideas. I love the one (now I forget the name) with the squares all on point and I wonder how that stripe through them all is applied. As for appliques, they are a favorite look to me. I like flower baskets with appliqued flowers popping out the tops, but like a dope, I also like to sit and do hand applique which takes like forever. I appliqued 3 large hearts on a hope chest - sized quilt pad and that took hours. ... Yes, this is our Carolina family. They have a girl and a 1-yr-old boy and now this little surprise bundle. We will probably wait till the baby is a bit older to visit because unfortunately she gets post-partum very badly and the last visit was a bit gnarley.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:53 am

Beautiful quilts AND beautiful cards!
I should visit this section of the village more often, too! I usually steer around this "street" b/c I am so inept in the crafting department... but I love to look!

Harriet -- I loved reading about all the "behind the scenes" thought that went into the baby quilt, and using shirt from your late dh. Those are the things that make quilts really special.

Congratulations on your new little one on the way, Harmony!
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:20 pm

lucylee, your publishing of the school newspaper probably gives you lots of opportunities to arrange sections, photos, headings in eye-pleasing or eye-catching ways. Do you ever take your own photographs for it and "design" getting the right background or seating placement of your subjects? Cowinkie is our resident camera artist and I think it's Shutterfly she uses to make books of her photos. I guess your curriculum is really beyond the time when students can learn from much crafting - pretty much have to push through with reading, writing and (gulp) lecturing too, I suppose. Or do you encourage art on the English folders, smile. Wouldn't they be surprised one day if you came in with glitter and Elmers and macaroni? You would lose your predictability quotient for sure!

Return to “The Creative Home”