Art, Craft and Needlework, August, 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, August, 2011

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:56 pm

I'm excited for some projects this fall I've even been dreaming of crafts! Don't you just love that. - Nancy

What things of beauty are capturing your attention in August?

Here's the place to chat about the creativity that makes you happy, that let's you offer family and friends something personal from your own hands. Tell us about compliments, organization ideas, finding bargains on supplies, scheduling crafting time, or maybe changing to a new outlet for your creative efforts.

lucylee

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, August, 2011

Postby lucylee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:12 am

Harriet -- you mentioned that my work with the school newspaper is an outlet for creativity and you are right. I don't think about it that way a lot, but it really is. I guess that's why I don't mind staying late to work on it when I need to, b/c it's sorta fun to me.
I also have the beginnings of scrapbooks for ds, but most of them are NOT "pretty" at ALL right now. I just have sheet protectors with programs and flyers from different events he's played at, etc. MAYBE when I retire, I can devote more time to making these more attractive. But even in the very practical/utilitarian state they are right now, I know ds appreciates the time I've put into them and he enjoys looking back through various things he's done over the years.

And just today, I picked up the photo book I made dparents for their anniversary... yeah... back in January. I used Walmart's photo site and put all the pictures we used in their slideshow, plus all the pictures from the party itself, and I am pretty pleased with the result. DS thought it looked nice, too.
* OH -- it's NOT Walmart's fault it took so long!!! That was all ME. :oops:
I'm afraid dparents may think I devoted too many pages to the early years and not enough to the party, but the party was only one day out of 50 years, right?
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:05 am

Working on a pink hat in multi colored yarn and white & pink stripped puppet that is nearly done except for the mouth.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 am

I found a cute kit last night to take to sewing retreat in October. It's a "clothespin bag" in the shape of a little girl's dress. They used this pattern --

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?code=354137

And then the local shop put together retro style 1950s fabrics. The photo on the pattern front shows red, white & blue. The local shop kept the size/scale of the child's print fabrics, but the base of the light color fabric is cream. Instead of red accent fabric, it's more of a coral. Instead of the true blue, it's more teal or turquoise. Their display sample was in jeweltone colors that I liked better, but this is ok and if it's as fun to make as it looks, I can make more in other fabrics. I certainly have enough cotton prints in the house.

I also bought a purse pattern I've looked at a few times, a wedge-shaped ruler I've been trying to find for several months (this was the 5th shop I'd looked), and a brand new Linda Lee pattern that I'd been planning to order online and was thrilled to be able to buy locally.

It's a little unstructured jacket. They had a sample in the trunk show which was too small for me, but several other people tried on and it was very flattering. I think it will be nice for work as the weather gets cooler, an alternate to a cardigan sweater.

The shop's owner and staff went way over and above what I expected for a free program. I felt obligated to purchase some stuff to make it worth their staying late and being open especially for our group.

I was really glad to be able to buy things that I had already planned to buy elsewhere, plus the impulse buy of that too-cute kit. I've been checking around this morning and their prices were comparable with what I would have paid online, I didn't have to pay for shipping or wait, plus they gave us a 20% discount.

I do not like to shop, so this was a good experience for me.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:40 am

I finished up another hat last evening this one is Christmas green :arrow:
next up a puppet to go with it.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Booksaver, I looked around a little at the site you linked - cool crafty things. I never got my sewing machine out a couple of weeks ago when I was planning to..wish I had my crafty area upstairs all cleaned up where I could set up there.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:48 pm

lucylee, getting that done for your dparents is hugely creative, but perhaps the best thing is that it is a finish. I do so love finishes but seem to struggle achieving many. I agree it's more interesting for the book to be about the whole of the marriage; the party was great but will pale in comparison to the history for them.

Making puppets seems like such a cheerful outlet, Nancy! I'm sure the grandchildren are appreciative! It's hard to remember in this heat over our area how much we crave a cozy hat in winter.

BookSaver, I think the turquoise and salmon in 1930s fabrics looks very authentic and charming. Have fun! What fabrics will you be considering for the jacket? I worry that I would choose fabric that would wrinkle or be too flimsy. Have you got an idea in mind for the wedge ruler?

Have mentioned here before my interest in this makeover pattern for a woman's t-shirt fitting problems, from the same site BookSaver linked. (If you click on "see more images" you see the ordinary t-shirt this one is made from) Until I decide to buy that pattern :roll: , dd, who can of course look cute in a lot more shapes than I can, and is less interested in "quality clothing", has been studying these YouTube videos that will work fine taking a large boxy tee and making it the same size as one she already likes.

first young lady is a little more clear, with examples at the end, second lady more fun and forgiving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS6j7oYF ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Tpw1Je ... re=related

(don't you think maybe a little pinning might be wise, though?)

Also at the site BookSaver mentioned there's a pattern for a start-from-scratch t-shirt for a woman's figure problems. Somehow I don't see myself starting from scratch so much as I might remake one. It seems less daunting.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:47 pm

TwinsMom ~ That Clotilde site does have a lot of fun stuff. Another good one is http://www.NancysNotions.com.

Harriet ~ The jacket pattern needs a soft & flowy fabric. I'm pretty sure that I have some rayon in a box of fabric I bought from a garage sale, which would make it a dressy jacket. I think I also have a stretchy knit, for a more casual look for work.

With the knit, I would be able to try the new "unfinished" technique and not worry about hemming. Sometimes I think that looks pretty, but sometimes it looks sloppy, and it totally depends on the type of fabric. I averaged 25 cents a yard for the garage sale fabric, which makes me much more willing to experiment.

For the wedge ruler, I saw an episode of Fons & Porter quilting that featured a quilt they called Rosie's Charm. They don't have a photo of that particular quilt on their site in the pretty floral fabric they showed. Here's one someone else made, obviously for a masculine room: http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/me ... 18277.aspx

The TV show had a full-size quilt in soft, almost pastel florals and a child-size one in bright primary solids. The pattern itself was published in a 2009 magazine so it isn't available online. However, they were kind enough to put together a spec sheet which I'm hoping will be all I need to figure it out.
http://www.fonsandporter.com/downloads/ ... s_Size.pdf

I'm thinking of a crib quilt to donate to a local women's shelter. It looks like a good project for the scraps I have leftover from cutting out children's pajamas. After I know how many pieces I can get from my own scraps, I can ask for pieces from my sewing group. I already have plenty of donated batting.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:56 am

Let us know if you get to donate, BookSaver. I kinda dream of donating again, and had a wonderful time putting together the charity links in our "about Creative Home" thread, but haven't had time to get more than supplies or materials together in a long time. I actually have two Rubbermaid-style storage boxes marked "charity" but they hold UFOs that have been waiting.

LisaB added some creative buying time to her vacation recently so I'm looking forward to hearing all about her plans.

Dd's first attempt at a tee-shirt makeover was good but not great. There is a difference in the amount of stretch in even tee-shirt fabrics and I don't think we took that into consideration enough. I wish she could have gotten back to it already, but she'll have time this weekend we think.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Speaking of donating.
Donated the prayer shawls, puppets, hats, etc. to the cause at church just in time for a big
push they were having for area hospitals fire fighters etc. so glad I took them in when I did
instead of waiting for the group to begin next month.

Return to “The Creative Home”