Arts, Crafts, Needlework July, '08

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
bittersweet

Re: Arts, Crafts, Needlework July, '08

Postby bittersweet » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:19 pm

I haven't actually done any hand piecing yet, Lisa LOL It seemed it might be good for something to take on the bus, but then there's the whole sharp little needle on a crowded bus thing, and I haven't actually tried to use my machine in years and years and to be brutally honest, I'm really scared of trying and screwing up, y'know? I see some of the quilting work out there and it's so beautiful, yet looks soooo complicated :( I WILL be clearing off the table tonight so I have somewhere to put my sewing machine (brought it up from the basement over a week ago), and will be having a go at doing SOMETHING with it this weekend. DH's working all day Saturday, DGS will be at his dad's, so I'll have something resembling peace and quiet for a few hours at least.
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:32 pm

Thought I would post the altered composition book that I'm sending to dd at camp. She likes to write and appears to have a composition book going, in which she writes, in private, in the evenings. :o The photo includes the composition book and a matching pen. The "L" is cardboard chipboard covered in a coordinating paper. The ribbon is a matching grosgrain and has a velcro closing, and the pen fits under the ribbon at the right edge. The little image in the lower right corner is a SU rub on.

The back is covered with the flowered paper that is used for the pen.
IMG_1848 for upload.jpg
IMG_1845 for upload.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:19 am

bittersweet wrote:I see some of the quilting work out there and it's so beautiful, yet looks soooo complicated :( I WILL be clearing off the table tonight so I have somewhere to put my sewing machine (brought it up from the basement over a week ago), and will be having a go at doing SOMETHING with it this weekend.

Bittersweet, I was also really scared of messing it up.....but it is easier than you think......even the flying geese triangles. Go on, be brave, give it a go......if you don't want to spend a lot, get a couple of fat quarters to practice with (that's what I did). Follow the instructions from this website link (http://www.sewaquilt.com and you'll see that it is quite easy to do. I chose three fat quarters which I did the patches from and therefore, if I messed up, it didn't cost me an arm and a leg for material that I wasn't going to continue to use if I didn't come right with the blocks. But I was okay with it and now am looking forward to buying material by the meter (you buy by the yard I think).

Twins, what a lovely composition book for your daughter......is the 'L' the letter of her first name? It makes a lovely gift idea too.....thank you for sharing.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

SuzLew

Postby SuzLew » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:08 am

Repair man came and put new belt on treadle machine and oiled and sewed with it! It is so neat! I always wanted one (love antiques!) So now I have 3 sewing machines!

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:36 am

OK I did it...bit the bullet, took a deep breath, cleared off a bunch of space on the dining room table, and set up the sewing machine! Amazingly enough, it's still working fine :D My big project was to take a sheet of DD's that's been in the "mending" for the best part of a year and fix it. There had been a hole chewed in it by Ms. Garbage Guts the dog when DGS had spit up on it and DD hadn't put it in the wash.I took a piece of fabric, folded the edges under and pinned it in place...sewed a basic straight seam around the edges, and did the same on the other side with another piece of fabric. Then I got truly adventurous and sewed a pattern (sort of) in the middle area, testing out the different zigzag stitches. It ain't great, the seams aren't exactly perfectly straight, but I did it! :D :lol: :D
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:24 am

WTG Bittersweet......well done.

Great to have so many machines Suzelew.

I phoned a couple of places yesterday with the idea that I might upgrade my sewing machine. I contacted a Bernina store, and the one I liked is +/- R45 000 (+/- US $5,917.50) - yeesh, only a dream for now. Then phone Elna and Husqvarna Viking, and they both are about the same at +/-R14 000 (+/-US $1,841.00 each). The trade in value on my machine is very little (it is 14yrs old). So, I will continue to dream.

Well, I'm going to do some flying geese today. I want to do 4 of 6½ in squares. I also want to do some pinwheels as well. Better get started on those shortly.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:08 am

I'm so glad you had fun, bittersweet. Woo Hoo! I just wish I could have been a little mouse in the wall!

SuzLew, just think, you rescued an antique that will be truly appreciated.

New machines - If it is quilt making you want to do, Lisa B., the multi-thousand dollar machines won't be that valuable to you because the money goes for embroidery features, doesn't it? I don't know about the $1800 ones, but sure sounds expensive.

Features I like or not - Dh wanted to give me something nice one birthday, so we did spend over $500 on my newer machine, a Singer Quantum 9910, which I'm sure has been replaced by a new over-$600 model by now, LOL! The features I'd hoped would be helpful, in order, were:
"automatic-tension" feature - a success, I like it
"self threader" - a success, works most times now that I've learned it
"machine-blanket-stitch" (for old-fashioned applique look) - a success, just don't use it much
"mock-quilting-stitch" - disaster, looks ugly.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:37 pm

Harriet!!!! Look what I found! This link was shared in one of my Yahoo groups today, and I thought of you when I saw it!! :lol:

http://tipnut.com/56-free-apron-patterns-you-can-make/

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:26 am

Thank you, bittersweet - there's a wealth of info there I've never seen! I think what must have happened is when this lady first started gathering and listing apron pattern sites, mamapiano found it and posted it, because I've seen this before and am almost sure she's the one who mentioned it. But now there are SKADS MORE sites to go to, some with great pictorials - for instance, in just the first minute looking I found "Make a Plain Apron" and "My Birdhouse Clothespin Apron", which are both super clear pictorials I've never seen at all.

Boy, I do love to look at homemade aprons! Starts my brain whirring. Stop that, stop that, brain! UFOs first! LOL

Came back to browse again, 3:00 pm! "Scalloped Apron" is also new - S. Branch just offers the pattern in it's entirety, I mean real full size pattern pieces to print out. Good grief.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:44 am

I finally made it to my friend's place on Sunday afternoon! We spent two hours on the dog grooming lessons, and assorted chitter chatter, and now she feels much more confident and knowledgeable about how to clip her dog's nails, trim her feet and face, etc. However, I still don't have the quilting stuff *sigh* She's going through a major declutter at the moment, and expects to have the stuff together for me in a week or so. I'll have to check back with her, cause I'd like it (if possible) before we head to the other end of the city on August 9 to stay at a friend's and dogsit for two weeks (it's a cheapie vacation..LOL) I'll be finished with this work assignment by then, and am hoping for a couple of days off at least to just sit and relax. :roll:

Return to “The Creative Home”