Art, Craft and Needlework, October, 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October, 2011

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:06 am

Yes Harriet it is fun. I think I have enough yarn left for one more. They make every one smile! I'll be taking dgd to pre-school Fri. so I can deliver them.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Nancy, I remember making a puppet in grade school art class. I made the head out of clay and we sewed the body at home and attached it to the neck. Yikes, that was the ugliest head I'd ever seen, but it was fun to make! (I always thought it looked like Knish, if anybody remembers that puppet from TV).

Finally found out tonight DDiL in NC will be having her baby about 12/14 and it's a boy. Not much time to get a quilt together, but I will try. I'm working on pattern ideas and I think I'll do some applique and some piecing. They painted the new nursery green (he said kelley which is dark I think) so I'm thinking I'll try to get some pastel green in it somewhere.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:08 pm

So I worked and worked on my quilt plan. Found my older plans in my spiral graph notebook very helpful in setting up the size. Got it all done and colored in on paper, and made a blow-up of each square individually to figure out the appliqued trains I was going to do.

Trip to the store was very disappointing. In this county there are only 2 stores with fabric, and a few quilt stores that are pretty pricey. 1st store had next to nothing, not even batting the right type and size. Whole wall of polyester high loft king size only.

2nd store had lots to pick from but I was looking for plain colors in pastels on which to put my applique. After a couple hours I gave up, changed my plan, and put a few things together. No trains, no applique, but there will be monkeys and monkey heads, picked mainly because it was on the right color green and had things to go with it.

I should probably redesign this thing, but I think I'll leave it due to the lack of time. I can see it in my head...crossing fingers...

DH says sadly as I went off to my desk again, "I guess I'll be a quilt widower for a while". He's not a fan of my sewing.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Well, I feel some disappointed for you, Harmony, that you didn't get your first choices. Part of me says, shop online and get closer to what you wanted. But another part says, no, time is not on your side for waiting and there's no reason to spend time worrying about delivery, etc., when you can spend time sewing. It sounds like it will be a very cheerful project!

Mr. Harmony may wish he had more of your time/attention but I'll just bet he's proud of you being able to create something so wholesome to commemorate his grandson's birth!!!

Return to “The Creative Home”