Holiday Grand Plan, 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Holiday Grand Plan, 2011

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Just an opinion from me - I like to send Christmas cards that have color. When we display, the white or beige ones blend into our wall and aren't seen well, so I imagine that happens at other people's houses, too. Interesting, because some of the nicest ones are white, but they don't get noticed!

To begin some thoughts for next year:

store ornament hangers WITH ornaments, not in a different box!
Have run out of Christmas gift bags somehow! Check sales!
Have dd13 try on party clothes BEFORE party, including shoes!
remember dsecondbil's bday the 17th with a card separate from his Christmas card.
Some dfriends moved get-together up to mid-month, so be prepared if they do that next year, too.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:43 am

Good idea Harriet on the cards mine usually have some red or green in them.

Found some 50% off on Christmas decorations already but no wreath the size I wanted. My hunt for one for the front of the house continues.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:54 am

Doing all of a huge holiday shopping in one weekend isn't a good idea. With a lack of time, I settled for several things that made me shudder about the price. Overall I'm sure I spent probably twice what I usually do when I have time to plan and shop better.

People this year generally had no ideas for me. DD's were grasping for something to tell me for DGKids. Not sure what to do about that, they are getting older and their "toys" are bicycles, and expensive electronics.

This is one of the most difficult holidays I can remember. Too much work done in too few days. I will surely remember this for next year.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:35 pm

Harmony, IKWYM. Sometimes a rushed celebration can turn into an expensive one and also make you feel you didn't spend wisely. There is something to be said, however, for going ahead and purchasing "the thing you have in your hand", since I also regret my choice to shop online with a retailer who (I didn't realize) does NOT have a reputation for speed in sending packages. I found myself frustrated, trying to track a package that may have been full of wise, thrifty purchases, but was taking a long, worrying time arriving. Amazon, I'll have to admit, was johnny-on-the-spot for both HRH and myself when we needed it this year.

A general "note to self" this year is that I didn't start early enough. Every year I sort of smile about the idea of doing Christmas cards up on Halloween, but if I had done so, I'd have been better off. Gift shopping/wrapping is going to be a bear every year, so any taming I can do early is a very good idea. After all, do I really think I would amend my list much between Oct 31 and Nov 30? No, certainly I would send to those I planned.

Harmony, teens get harder to choose for, don't they!!! My best advice to myself this year on that score is to think add-ons. A teen who already likes Sims got an Expansion Pack to add pets. If they have a great bike, give a cool bike lock. I can't get a "read" (well, can't get info) on one teen we bought for and I chose a purse I regretted as soon as I got home, so I was happy that I had the gift receipt to put inside!!! Now at least she has a chance to change for what she really wants if I'm WAY off base! I used to be able to rely on dd's memory for clues to what this girl would want in the future, but now in the teen years things change too fast and dd doesn't trust what she remembers.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:33 pm

Some gifts get worn out lost or stolen and can be repeats. Here's an example Dgd #1 was excited to get a MP3 player a replacement for one she lost before.

Return to “The Creative Home”