Art, Craft and Needlework, December, 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December, 2011

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Lynlee, I get what you are doing there in the squares. The diagonals are of the same color family but when you look closely, they alternate two colors in each diagonal row. The dark outlining each one makes them stand out, and the border is just the right width. Darling little apron, too.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:25 am

Lynlee, I love the baby quilt, especially with the little diamonds at the corners of the squares. And a baby apron, what a great idea. Sometimes a bib is just not big enough.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:14 am

Thank you Harriet and Harmony
It was "interesting" adapting the joining technique. Also the squares were slightly different sizes as some cottons were from different sources. There is a fair amount of 3d contour with the joining Which allowed for differences just to be. It was a real job to get the colours working together. Many many hours playing with them.

Baby apron was used for my girls. I think it was one my dm picked up.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Lynlee, your baby quilt is beautiful. I love how the colors coordinate - and babies love bright colors. The apron is really cute, too!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:39 pm

I sent an email off to the seller of that quilt book which I never did receive. :evil: I told her I was very disappointed that arrival time had a window of 15 days which I considered more than adequate, and it is now 4 days past her last date and has not been received yet. I purchased it 12/2, so it is now 26 days later......

And quilt which I made and sent has not been acknowledged, either, so I have no idea for sure if US Mail actually got it up there to them; perhaps it's lost along with the box of Christmas gifts sent a week later, also not acknowledged.

Putting on my "forget about it, move on" face. :|

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:54 pm

((Harmony)) Maybe they are exhausted, with their days and nights still mixed up. Maybe many good thoughts they haven't had a chance to act on yet. Who knows. I hope you get your quilt book soon - hopefully an explanation, too. I know how it is to have some excitement for projects and the mailbox doesn't cooperate. At Christmas there is little time, but January is perfect and you need your inspiration!

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:48 am

ty sunny
Like topsie it just grew as I gathered more and more to the families of colours to get to 18 colours, plus the navy to join squares I just happened to have a big suppply of that, and used others from my stash too. Then the headache of playing with them .. In the beginning dd loved the red squares, dsil the multicoloured blue. Trying to get those two together in the rug led to the rest. Round and round the outside would have been easier - but I couldn't get it to work with red and blue. Anyway - I'm proud of it. :D

Harmony - I hope they are just held up in the christmas postal rush and arrive soon.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:54 am

Well, Harriet, DH did talk to them on the phone day after Christmas...and once a couple weeks ago when Quilt should have been there... just chalking it up to a less-than-close relationship. :|

One good thing about quilt book not arriving, I've been designing in my head, and have somewhat changed a few ideas. I think I didn't mention that I asked DD2 for some things when she wanted Christmas ideas, and I have now in my posession a new cutting mat, 24" x 36" - it's huge! and an acrylic ruller, 6 1/2" x 24 1/2", also huge! She also managed to get me a new cutting wheel for my rotary cutter.

DD2 knows nothing about any of this stuff, so she did really well. My current tools were all on the small size and I was using scissors for lots of stuff because I didn't have proper tools. This should speed up things quite a bit.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:12 pm

Lynlee ~ What a beautiful crocheted quilt and baby apron! Thank you for posting the photos. Love the colors. Giraffe wearing a nightie sounds very sweet.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Ouch, (Harmony).

Designs in your head far exceed designs on a page, anyway. Sounds like the perfect supplies.

Dd13 got a sketching book from dd33.

Return to “The Creative Home”