Art, Craft and Needlework, December, 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December, 2011

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:10 pm

I ripped out the knitting project last night and got it going again and I'm much happier with it
now so I"m glad I did that have it going again now. Yea! I've made progress and have re-knitted all the yarn that I had to rip out before. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Good for you going ahead and changing it, Nancy - if you are going to work on it you need to be happy with it.

Harmony, I have no doubt you can do it - do you have a Christmas party with all of them together? If not, arrange one, LOL! (And camera)

Kites - I never knew a kite image would make me smile so much to work with - it was a favorite quilt part for me. Something about it.

Folded gift cards - I take a piece of cardstock about 4x2 or 3 x 2 or custom for the sticker I want to use, and fold in half once. A hole-punch either through both layers or just the back at a top corner if I want it to hang. But if I am using ribbon around the gift straight or bias, the card can go along with the angle of that and just be affixed, or tucked up under a bow. For "to/from" stickers that are not very nice alone, they can be stuck onto cardstock, too, maybe a contrasting color, and they look cool. Yes, Christmas cards are perfect and when you receive some type of cardstock in a mailing in a solid color, save it - car companies tend to use a lot of glossy cardstock and leave a lot of it blank so their mailing looks sophisticated. Take another look at folders you are about to toss, or any other type of substantial paper. Twins Mom would be amused, but my gift-card making is a brief fling so I use cheapies. LOL.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:39 am

We usually spend Christmas Eve at one place and Christmas Day at the other. However, once every few years we all end up at DD1's for dinner too. These 5, though they are boys, seem to really appreciate things like sports-themed t-shirts, blue jeans, even gift cards to places where they get stuff they want. Unusual for boys, but that's the way they are. Of course, if I pull this off, cameras all around!

I am considering how to machine quilt though. That would be monumental to hand quilt them all, don't you think?

Oh, good idea, I never thought to put those stickers-on-a-roll on card stock first. That would sure dress them up!

Nancy, I never seem to get the gauge right. Must be why I never tried to make sweaters for anybody!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:49 am

I have the first ball of yarn knitted on this project. The first time it was too lacy not what I had in mind glad it's better this time with the smaller needles this is thinner that the 4 ply that I usually knit with a cables type of yarn thick and thin cotton and some thing else it's white. A fun project! :mrgreen:

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Hmmm, what are you making, Nancy?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:43 pm

I'm hoping I have enough to do a prayer shawl.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:42 am

finished one ufo long forgotten. It is now a dolly nightie. Not sure what it was going to be otherwise. Too small for a baby. white flanelette w pink squirrels. gosh there is a lot of that material. It might get some matching leggings/long bloomers. Managed to learn how to use machine. lol. Its been a lot of years its been waiting its turn to be used. tiny dining table did ok. lol.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

helia

Postby helia » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:21 am

IMG_0288.JPG

This is a painting dd16 did this month. She copied from a photo. I made it into notecards as a Cmas gift for her. She has little formal art training as of yet, but is possibly interested in pursuing that more in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:01 pm

Nancy, that's such a nice thing you do in making those prayer shawls.

Lynlee, great job on the doll clothes. Reminds me of my early adult years when I made the big raggedy ann & andy dolls for my DD's Christmas one year.

helia, that's a wonderful picture and such a great idea to make it into note cards.

I'm a little aggravated my book hasn't arrived yet. I just looked up my order and estimated arrival had a 3 week's time spread. :roll:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:40 pm

I got about an inch on the prayer shawl this weekend I was happy about that but a bit sad that I did not get to it at all during the week. But it is turning out nicely so far any way now. Yea for that! :mrgreen: I am ready to start the next ball of yarn on this project happy to say I've made some more progress. Knitting is some thing I can do even when I feel puny or have the grand kids here I love that.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Creative Home”