Art, Craft and Needlework, December, 2011

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
sherinjoy

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December, 2011

Postby sherinjoy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Helia - Beautiful bird painting by your daughter. Is that acrylic or oil? It would look lovely on a notecard, great idea.

I've gotten back into crafting greeting cards lately. Lots of fun and gets my creative juices flowing - happy time spent with my art supplies.

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:28 pm

Helia - I just got my Audobon Songbird calendar for 2012 - I get one every year - and is your daughter's painting the January photo? It looks exactly like that!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:47 am

Thank you so much for posting the photo, helia! In the first place, it is lovely and I think dd captured the cold wind, too! In the second place, we just enjoy seeing other's fun - it's a compliment to us to have someone share.

sherinjoy, what kind of creative cards do you make? Do you have a favorite this year?

Nancy, did you notice bittersweet had a hard day and was crocheting tonight? :) It helps to hold textiles/yarns after a hard day, doesn't it?

I got the Christmas card display wreath up (ordinary cardboard wall type). As usual, it seemed I had plenty of cards but still have blank spots, so assuming they are still coming with 5 more mail days, they'll have a place. HRH says he is always impressed with how good it looks with a new batch of cards, when it starts out the same old green cardboard. I always put the colorful ones on the outer edges (or inner circle) to have contrast against the light wall.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:39 am

Good morning! I'd like to get upstairs to make a quick retirement card this morning for a man who is retiring at my office.

Helia, love the notecard idea - what a nice way to encourage her art talents.

Nancy, speaking of prayer shawls, at the biennial a woman sitting behind me had a knitted tallis (Wikopedia link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallit ) that was incredibly beautiful - it was knitted in multicolor stripes and she said her mother had made it for her. A tallis is usually a woven material...

I should have some crafty time between now and the first of the year. The Silhouette Cameo electronic cutter which dh purchased for my birthday/Hanukkah arrived yesterday. I've hesitated about purchasing it because I'm not sure how much I'd use it. I think that dh was actually pleased to hear there was something that I wanted...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Twins thanks for that link at church sun a guy had a cap on and some thing like in the photo of the Tallit katan a long cord with knots and hooked on to a belt loop, I noticed he was carrying a copy of the completed Jew Bible when he left.

I had to stop knitting last night my elbow was getting sore but I made significant progress on it
I was pleased.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:06 pm

I got a bag of odds n ends of yarn this will be great for puppets after the prayer shawl I'm working on.

I was chatting with a gal at the bank and they hot glued bows, ribbons, etc. on cheap red shirts or sweaters for festive Christmas sweaters a fun fast solution! Love that idea I may have to use.

Yesterday got the wreath fluffed it up and put ornaments on and hung it up on the front of the house last night. When I got this one I made the choice to go with the smaller one that would fit in the red and green Christmas tote for storing the rest of the year. It still needs a bow but that will have to wait. Maybe some ribbon too as I find it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:29 pm

I had not foreseen that the antique quilt is just huge - I literally cannot display it full. HRH says he will move heaven, earth and Home Depot's hardware dept to get it done for Christmas, but no. We are not going to get frantic over this. It is draped with one row of blocks turned under. Unfortunately, I turned it around wrong as we were getting it up and I (we, I cant' do it alone) need to redo it. Super heavy to work with, takes some strength as it is batted with home-grown carded cotton from right up the road!!!!

I've been so creative this month, but mostly I guess it has been with temporary things! Very happy with some folded gift tags I was able to "border". Some darling images came as part of advertisements on heavyweight paper and I cut out the rectangles of the pretty part, folded, and glued onto slightly larger colored paper from envelopes.

Note to self - Shop Michael's or other craft stores FIRST next year. dd13 and I were delighted there this year. Found Mary Englebright high quality wrapping paper, which I haven't seen anywhere else, very reasonable - wish I'd had it from the first of the season. For the same price local drug store sells plain frames they have double-beveled-matted ones, so DangerBoy's first school photo looks wonderful right now!! This is the kind of thing that dd33 will consider a heart-present to see displayed in my home, and I'm so glad I could get it done.

Dd13 ran into an older teen girl on the sketching aisle and got some input on sketching pens - she bought a rather large set of different size/width blacks and spent $10 of her own money on it. Can't complain.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Way to go Harriet the closest Michael's store is an hour away.
I have finished another ball of yarn on the knitting project I have going.

Happy to have added another item to the wreath I hung up on the house, I tied on a cookie cutter angel to it. It's so much fun to add things to this giving it a fun flare, the final festive touches will come later but as a work in progress this works for me!

H. is wrapping one gift.
Still a few cards to make out but we are getting there.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:03 am

Finally
The Baby Quilt I crotched, given 2010 Christmas
P1010073-2.jpg
P1010075-2.jpg

also given last year - a baby apron
P1010123-2.jpg

It is complete with baby drool. :lol:

I will have to post this years doll dress in members as baby is in photo. DD left the doll to wear dress/pants I'd made i/l of clothes doll came in.
The other ufo's gifted as doll / toy nighties / gowns for both dgds were much loved. DD#1 said giraffe wearing it was most admired by other toys at bed time. A ribbon sash removed all need for buttons. I forgot to photograph those.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:04 am

back view of baby apron
P1010122-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “The Creative Home”