Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2012

Postby Harmony » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 am

I said block because it was the same miserable block over and over ad infinitum. Well, 20 of them, felt like unlimited number since I had to fix each and every piece the way they didn't go together correctly (since I didn't cut them to the right proportions in the beginning). I have all the pieced blocks done, 4 across and 5 rows. I would have had to do almost as many again to come to the right size if I'd just enlarged with more pieced blocks. Nope, didn't have it in me!

Seems like if the pattern in the book would have been off the same percentage, all 3 pieces, it would have gone together in a snap, just would have been an 11 square instead of a 16". But the pieces (from what I could see) were off differing amounts. sigh...I've learned a lot, the hard way.

My worry is will it lay flat enough to look good. It does when I smooth it with my hands, but I can tell it's not quite right by itself. And I lost some points putting the rows together, which is aggravating to me. I'm going to use a lot of pins!

I have one beige (background) color 4" border around attached. Then I am making 2-color alternating 5 1/2" block around that, then I'll put the dark red strip around that. I think I'll have about my size. I would like to not have had so many borders, but I would have lost my mind if I'd have tried to make any more of those blocks! I will put some kind of nice stitching on the borders anyway, so that will add a little detail to the plainess I hope.

BookSaver, those fabrics sound lovely. I wish I had more variety of stuff here. I'd quit sewing for a number of years and cleaned out everything, so it's like I'm starting all over again now.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:07 am

For the jeans hem, I'm not sure you would really need to sew through the thick side seams, as long as the rest of the hem is straight and flat and pressed well. If the rest of the hem is double stitched the way she describes, as long as you backstitch at the start and end points, the sides are not likely to flap open. It isn't as if you're likely to catch a heel in the opening, it will only be 3/4 inch at most. I doubt that anyone would notice that it wasn't stitched through, especially with the original hem intact to camouflage it.

Bias bindings ~ If they're thin enough, I have bias tape makers in 3 or 4 sizes and they're easy to use. I like to pick up sewing gadgets at garage sales where most people don't know what they are so they cost a nickel or dime.

Hmm ... I don't think I have the largest bias tape maker (2") but I wonder if it would work for making the folded strips for the stars as well as handles for the little tote bags for preschoolers? Maybe not, though, because those fabric strips are cut on straight of grain. I'm not sure they would slide through the tape maker as well as strips cut on the bias.

Harmony ~ Congratulations on powering through that challenging pattern! You're right, the pattern pieces in the book should have been reduced the same. I doubt that most people would read closely enough to understand the different percentages.

Starting over on your fabric collection can be a good thing. You'll only have fabrics which you currently like. Ladies at my sewing group frequently bring in pieces they've been storing that they finally decide they'll never use because they don't like the color any more, or the print is no longer in style.

SuzLew

Postby SuzLew » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Worked on DD/39's quilt this morning in the wee hours of the morning! got 2 blocks done and on 3rd one. Have to be careful points are straight , had to rip one out!! Need to work on dd/34's quilt also which is all made out of skeleton fabric I have collected! (she likes skeleton fabrics!)
Also working on plaid flannel rag quilt for Dgrs/19. Gave it to him for Christmas but decided it was to small for his 6'2"/300 pound football player built body so adding more squares. Dd/34 and Dgrs/19 live with Dh and I !

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:51 pm

I have bias tape maker attachment to my machine but I have never used it. I have never used many of my attachments!

I have my quilt spread out on guest bed. I like the way it looks. I have 1 4" edge strip to put around and the top will be done.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:35 pm

I didn't know there was a bias tape maker attachment for machines. Of course, they make all kinds of cool presser feet these days that do stuff that I'm used to doing manually -- like making ruffles and such.

The only bias tape makers I've used are the little metal gadgets that you feed the fabric strip in one side. As the strip comes out of the other side partially folded, you have to iron it to set the folds.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:50 pm

I cut the sheet for the crib size mattress now I'm off to hem it!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:55 pm

Booksaver, maybe that's how my gadget is supposed to work. I know you feed the material into it, I always assumed it went on the machine somewhere! I have something that does automatic gathers too and several different kinds of presser feet. I've only ever used the regular one and the zipper foot. My machine is about 40 years old and has those round disks I can put into the top to make different fancy stitches. I have used a few of those. They work very nicely. I remember making a fancy stitch with gold metallic thread around the entire edge of a red-riding-hood cape!

Nancy, are you putting elastic into it and making it a fitted sheet?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:26 pm

No I have a fitted sheet already it's just for a top sheet.

Return to “The Creative Home”