Art, Craft and Needlework, February, 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, February, 2012

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Harmony Over all I do not have a count of things I've made, one prayer shawl is all I did this winter, I ran out of yarn. I'm going for 8-10 puppets this go round as long as the yarn holds out. I have 5 done so I might make it. I wanted to do puppets for each child at dgds preschool about 15 but not enough time or yarn for that. So I decided that I could get enough for the teachers and helpers to use as they do stations a lot they were delighted to get the three I took in yesterday!

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Wow, so nice to read of all the projects here and those in the someday planning stage!

I am determined to finish dgd14's quilt before they have spring break this year. Ds#3 said they are planning to visit us from VA. and I want it ready so she can take it home with her.

I spent all day Tues and Wed morning quilting the last border. Wed I sewed the binding to the front and pinned it in place on the back. Once that is sewed I will make a label and I'm thinking since it has a lot of plain colors with no pattern I might make a few yo-yo flowers to decorate a few of the squares. I have some of the backing material left and that has all of the colors of the top.

My next project will have to be to start dgs10's quilt. He picked out most of the fabric last year; I just need to fill in with a couple of background colors. This one is an easy pattern, but a lot more sewing and fitting together.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Oh, Sunny, make sure that pattern is accurate. Make a test block first or at least measure and draw it out...I didn't do that and mine was a disaster to piece. Congrats on getting the other one almost finished. I'm doing a rope around the one border - well it's marked, not sewn anywhere yet - but it's a continuous line so should go fast.

I have holes in 4 of my fingers despite plastic protector pads and thimble. It feels good to rest them at night.

Nancy, I'm sure the teachers and helpers are thrilled to get your puppets!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Harmony thanks for saying that. The grand kids were playing with puppets today while they were here one of their fav. things to do is to make a puppet show.

I have another one going started it tonight.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:35 am

Well, stitch by stitch I am getting done. I have entire top quilted except for one row across, plus the border across the top and across the bottom. So, a little less than 4/5 completed. Man my fingertips are sore! But I am pleased at how it is looking and can't wait to get it out of the rack so I can lay it flat and just look at it.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Oh my stars -- puppets & quilts, so much creativity to enjoy!

Last Friday I went to a different kind of birthday party. There's a cute little crafty store less than an hour away that has an art studio in the back. They regularly have open studio hours and I've been trying to get there for one. A friend decided to have her 60th birthday party be there as 2 hours in the art studio. Of course we each paid for our own projects, but the prices were very reasonable.

Project blanks ranged from drinking glasses and mugs, different sizes and shapes of cardboard boxes, and wooden shapes including picture frames, letter initials & toys. Choices were to paint, decoupage, or mosaic. Prices ranged from $6 to $18 and included all art supplies.

First I picked up a wooden cat that turned out to be a coin bank. Then I saw some napkin rings. A notebook from handmade paper. A very cute little wooden bird. A paper crown and magic wand. Mardi Gras mask. Maracas!

I decided to do something that would be useful as well as pretty. Finally I chose a small round box with a lid, for storing buttons or ribbons. I know nothing about painting, but there were acrylic paints in a couple dozen colors. I put on a base coat of white paint, then did a background of different colored stripes. I tried to blend from 1 color to the next, and didn't make any attempt at perfection. I ate a birthday cupcake while the background stripes dried.

Then I decided it needed small white polka dots among the stripes. Unfortunately, I decided the dots needed jazzing up and tried to turn them into paisley shapes. Not so successful, :? they look like messy commas. Oh well! :lol: Instead of dots on the lid, I painted a little flower like a pansy.

So for my $10 investment, I had a very enjoyable couple of hours playing with friends and getting messy, and came away with a useful storage box. :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:14 pm

I only have four more puppets to make and this batch will be done!
Got 2 completed yesterday.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:18 am

Booksaver, the craft store sounds like a fun place.

One mystery solved here. DStepson called and DH asked him if they ever got the quilt we sent a couple months ago... yes, didn't we get the email? Huh, I watched closely for that, ah no.... anyway, surprised to find out that they actually hung that quilt up on the wall! So I guess they liked it.

Other thing DSson told us, our little grandson not 2 yet has broken his leg and has a cast on the whole length right up to his little diaper. So sad...

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:54 pm

I have finished the last of the puppets for the pre-school and delivered them yesterday. They gave me the cutest thank you card with a photo of dgd with one on the front what a treasure that was! H. took it out to show dd when she came to pick dgd up. Might have to frame the pic. and the note with it. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:15 pm

I am so happy for you guys getting RECOGNITION of the creative handwork you have given others!

What a thoughtful thank-you note to you with photo, Nancy! Yes, if it were me I'd consider framing it because it would be so affirming, plus make your dgd see how important she is! Save that note in a compliment file.

Harmony, that must make you feel good to think they actually are using it as wall decor, something they all look at often. When you do go to visit, maybe you or Mr. Harmony could just happen to have your camera and snap a photo of it in the room!!! This is why I don't like email for corresponding, because not only is it easy to overlook, it's also easy to think you sent something that never actually got out into the world at all.

(Now, this is the family of the toddler with broken leg, poor thing?)

You will be such an appreciated grandmother at spring break, Sunny!

BookSaver, that is a fun birthday party concept for sure - somehow I'd missed your post. Sounds great to do something completely different than your usual creativity and get to see what happens in a different medium.

Return to “The Creative Home”