Art, Craft and Needlework, February, 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, February, 2012

Postby Harmony » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:17 am

Rack is all back together. DH made longer rails to fit queen / single size quilts; then he made smaller rails to fit baby quilts (though I told him I didn't think I'd be making any - except now that I think of it a lap quilt would fit) and then he made a king size set of rails. :shock: I only know 1 person with a king size bed...who knows if I'll ever do one of those monsters.

DD2 has made a remark, about "hmmm why don't cha make one for me (queen) in passing while giving me the new quilt tools for Christmas..... but if I did that I'd have to make a king size one for other DD... so... something to think about.

If I use any of those other size rails, we'll have to make new cross support in the same size. The one I have fits the queen/single. I put new material on the rails and have the quilt back in the frame ready for sewing.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:46 am

That's nice you are back to sketching, Nancy. Dd13 has a sketchbook that has begun losing all its pages - she is pretty unhappy with that one. She's never had one do that, so I guess this one was cheaply made.

Harmony, take that as a thoughtful compliment from your daughter, who admires what you are doing, and let it go!!! We all wish we could make something wonderful for every person we love - but don't stretch yourself too thin, even in planning!!! Enjoy what you are working on in the moment and don't let thoughts of all you can't do yet crowd in! Sometimes I think people want so much to tell us that they admire what we are doing, that they equate it in some way to themselves when the last thing they want to do is make us think they expect a lot of work out of us!

Once when ds was a teen and spending 60 seconds interested in some quilt magazines :roll: , he announced that his favorite was the cover quilt of a QNM issue (those are always prize-winning, amazing quilts on their covers). It was like an "Inner City" if anyone knows what that is, but more complicated - all small diamonds, so difficult piecing, but arranged so that the colors and light/dark contrasts made it look like the architecture of a big city viewed from the air. I actually spent some days soberly contemplating making him a quilt like that! Ultimately I told him that trying to do that for him would be the work of years and he laughed it off, of course. It still stays in the back of my mind, though, that maybe someday I could make him a small one similar, just to let him know I remembered! It would probably be good for my brain, because if ever there was a puzzle, that would be it.

Right now, his wedding quilt is waiting on the design board and he's been married several years. Dd32's third baby's crib quilt has not been started yet and he is one-and-a-half years old. Another UFO is all the blocks necessary to make HRH a quilt! I could continue with that train of thought, believe me!!! :lol:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:29 pm

I got out an older sketch book half finished dgd#3 is not in it so I've been contemplating what to do about that!

I have another puppet going now.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:07 pm

Well, Harriet, the goal is to see how far along I can get with the DGKids this year. Maybe another year would be a quilt for each of the DD's. Ambitious goals, I'll admit.

I am making such great progress on this one. A few 4" squares quilted last eve. and today so far 2 little ones! At this rate it will take all year.

However, I am determined to keep a balance around here, keep all the plates spinning in the house and office and church and then spin the sewing one. It's a challenge!

By the way, Harriet, I have wondered what you sleep under at night?

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:13 am

Fascinating question! :lol: Right now we are sleeping under a bedspread bought because it matches our curtains. It is quilted but by some mass-production outfit I'm sure! Previous to this, though, we were sleeping under a Lone Star I had made and hand-quilted. I saw that it was getting rather worn and wanted to spare it. On the bed most days is a throw pillow that I made that matches the room colors - it is a pieced house pattern with a mock-double-ruffle. There's are quilts I made on dh's great-aunt's quilt rack near the foot of our bed along with one from my late dh's family. The one that gets pulled into duty the most if one of us has to leave the bed is the Basket quilt I made that was my first experiment in machine quilting.

SuzLew

Postby SuzLew » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:30 am

Like Harmony my sewing is going slow so must put things on back burner and concentrate on sewing!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Ah Harriet, I'll bet all those quilts are very pretty. Myself, we have a printed mass produced quilt folded at bottom of bed. DH is so hot all the time. Unless it's freezing out, we just use sheet. I am not warm enough and can't sleep cold, so I put on heavy bathrobe and fleece throw I made that fits just me. I hate not having something warm over me, but I'm tired of changing sheets so often because DH sweats so.

Everybody else will get to use my quilts, I guess. Someday I will make some for my 2 guest beds and will enjoy looking at them. After I get all the others done. Maybe I'll be dead before all that happens! :lol:

I got another square foot quilted last evening. Amazing progress.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:12 pm

I got some progress on the current puppet project.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07 am

Well, now that you mention it, HRH throws some of the cover off sometimes. My mother used to say "Men are furnaces". But he wants it other times. He says he thinks he would feel good under a chenille bedspread but I have this feeling that there should be layers in a cover or it's not really warm. I remember chenille as growing thin, and the more it was washed the less there was of it.

When you really use something you have hand made there's a trade-off because it will wear out faster. That's why I quit making my own pillows for our seating furniture, expected to stand up against this family. No reason for me to tempt getting upset with family, when they are just trying to use the furnishings in a high-traffic area. But hand made pillows do work well as a nice touch to finish off the look of a made bed with your own creativity. I noticed at Christmas a set of pillows I gave as a gift many years ago are looking very nice, but they are in a private sitting area on antique rockers where they get little wear. I still have the idea of using upholstery/drapery fabric in patchwork designs to make pillows for seating areas - one of those ideas I'm going to get to!!!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Harriet, I am torn between my love for the look of a quilt and that of a down comforter. Here we have a down blanket weight cover, but it is much too hot for DH even in the coldest nights. He tends to sleep really hard and doesn't awaken if he's too hot, he just awakes when he's laying in a puddle of sweat, by then it's too late. Yes, men are furnaces!

I remember being a sick child in my DMother's bed under chenille bedspread, bored, and spent some time pulling out all the "puffs" and left most of it quite threadbare. I also remember her asking me why I did that, and vividly remember that she did not yell at me for doing it. I like the newer more plush chenilles and the way one can take squares of them and patchwork them together. I've seen that on bolts ready made for baby quilts.

I am quilting this AM while DH is out. When he returns I'm sure it will be back to the paperwork. It's so much easier with natural light coming in.

Nancy, did you ever count up how many puppets and prayer shawls you have made? I'll bet it's a bunch!

Return to “The Creative Home”