Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2012

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Harmony, I shouldn't have even mentioned my blanket-stitch binding because that is my attempt at a one-step machine binding, so it's different. I sew the long strip edges together lengthwise, then press placing the raw-edge seam in the middle of the side that will be hidden anyway, wrap it around the edge with slightly more fabric on the back than front, and apply from the front with a machine blanket stitch. Only the "bites" the blanket stitch is taking every 8th-inch or so are really entering the front of the binding, because I'm guiding it right along the edge, so it helps it drape nicer. When you attach a one-step machine binding with a straight stitch, the quilt edges have a tendency to "flutter" rather than drape straight. My basket quilt flutters, for sure.

For hers, she started out as you would to apply a separate binding that you are going to turn and hand-stitch. But for the second step instead of hand-stitching, when she turned it to the back, she sewed using that "S" curve machine stitch. I'm guessing she was looking at the back of the quilt as she sewed. The binding was somewhat flattened, but very neat.

It's "muslin". There are a lot of different weights and "feels" of it. I bought some one time that was so soft but never have been able to find any that soft again. It made a perfect baby quilt backing.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:48 pm

Wow, Harriet, you really have to be accurate on your placing of the strip to make that work. I will have to look and see if my edge flutters with my hand sewing on the back side. I don't recall that it does, but I'll look.

I bought material for next quilt. It is in washer and dryer. I am making a "seascape" picture, sand on the bottom, rocks at bottom right and on up with a paper pieced (if I can) lighthouse/cabin on top, I have 3 waters with fish and turtles, then I'll put my sailboat material on top of that, sky at the top and a sun with ray paper pieced (also if I can). Big squares this time. Quilted waves, clouds. It's fun in my brain right now...we'll see!

I started out with a different pattern figured out, but the airplane material was all gone. Salesgal said when I see a material I know I want, get it while it's there. Well, that only works if I have the pattern all figured out and know how much I need. Didn't happen this time. So I'll work on the sea one and hunt for airplanes.

I think the muslin I got this time is a little lighter weight. I noticed the very thinnest ones all said drip dry (and I'm sure my kids are going to throw theirs in the dryer). A bunch of them said not to use on sleepwear. I found one dryable a little softer than my last one, so I'm hoping this quilt will be softer. There were several fabrics I put back because the label said flammable. Yikes!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Hand-bound quilts don't fall prey to that tug and pull of straight machine thread, so lie nice and flat - no "fluttering"! I admit I go slow when attaching a binding in one machine step, so that I don't mistakenly lose the placement, but it's still much quicker. If it were a quilt going to a quilt show for actual judging or something, I would go back to hand binding.

Wow, that is such a creative. one-of-a-kind sounding quilt, Harmony! I love the stage at which we can say,
"It's fun in my brain right now...we'll see!"
You'll be great at paper piecing. Just practice some. All salespeople say you'd better buy now. With the advent of on-line outlets it is less urgent. However, I must admit when the "kona sky" I ordered wasn't the same shade of "kona sky" I'd found at a local store earlier, I was frustrated! But you don't hang onto fabric forever like I do!!!! LOL!!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 am

I have my paper piecing patterns for the lighthouse and the sun with its rays. I also copied off the easiest mariners compass pattern I could find, if that turns out I may put that in lower left hand corner. Wow, some of those compass patterns are way too intricate for me. I saw one that had 1000 points! The whole top was a compass. See, I started out with an easy pattern, nice big blocks, all squares, and see how complicated I'm making it? I don't think I have much creativity in my brain, but I guess I do or I wouldn't be coming up with all these ideas!

Very interesting about the sky material. I was talking to another customer and we were comparing some of the bolts. Even those with the same numbers/names on the tags were different shades, not the same at all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:36 am

Only one more pupperts to make up for this batch I just have the mouth and eye to finish on this
last one. Dgd is wanting me to make one with a diff. color eyes!
-----
I've pushed the pause button on the "puppet project" is done, dgs took 'em home with him for his class today is the last day of school for them this week so hoping that they get to use them for some fun today!

~sigh ~ I'm taking a break from yarn crafts as my thumbs both have cracks and are painful waiting for them to heal and hoping for some knitting inspiration .

I will make more puppets in a while.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Oh, Nancy, I hope you have something soothing to put on your hands.

Mine got really bad with all the sewing. I couldn't put cream on them most of the time because I didn't want it to get on the fabric.

Harriet, I still have to check out those thimbles. The new ones I got (1 in med, 1 in large) work way better than what I had. Instead of dimples these have waffle-like squares and hold the needle way better. Around the perimeter of the top is a little "ledge" of metal that sticks up so no matter what the needle never slips off the thimble. I go all different directions with my needle and I use the sides of the thimble with it on my thumb to push away; when I come towards me I put it on my middle finger and use the top.

I have a leather one, also self-adhesive pads, and a plastic tip. What really helped was the round rubber needle puller. That thing's worth it's weight in gold.

I'm not winning any awards for speed, but I have my lighthouse done. It's as perfect as I can get it. I wish I had back all the time I spend just staring at my first quilt...it's draped over a guest bed now. I must get a picture up.
Last edited by Harmony on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:13 pm

Lots of craft work being done here this month with BookSaver, Harmony, Nancy and MT.

Harmony, I'd love to see a picture of your quilt, and Nancy your puppets, and MT your painting when you are finished. Harmony, your new quilt sounds really pretty.

I downloaded pictures off my camera today and if I sized them right hope to post a couple here. I still need two more prints and lots of solids to go with them for the new project. Some of the material is washed, some isn't, so I'll do that next so I can start cutting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Harriet, I had to check the sewing on my binding and it doesn't look wavy. The one seam binding sounds interesting; something I'd have to practice to be comfortable trying it. I haven't stitched such tiny stitches in a very long time, but it felt good to do it.

These two pic didn't work the first time.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:50 pm

Sunny that is beautiful. I like the way it looks with the binding and quilting. What a nice touch with the yo-yo's & buttons. Your DGD is one lucky gal to get this!

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks, Harmony. I can't wait for her to see it. When I told her it was done she sounded excited. They will be here for their spring break on Apr. 7th.

Return to “The Creative Home”