Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2012

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:57 am

The prayer shawl project I'm working on is growing! :mrgreen:

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:25 pm

Oh my goodness I just googled Kokopelli! :shock:

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:06 am

MT I have wanted to say I like the picture. It is simple but there is so much too it. I could just look at it for a long while and see something different.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:22 am

I'm happy to report the prayer shawl is complete I just put the ties on it this morning. I"m very happy with the results! Yea!
:mrgreen: This pattern is a keeper and I"ll be doing more of these!
May tweak it here and there but over all happy about this project.
Crafting items I've made to donate to the church are in the trunk now yea!
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:00 pm

LOL Harmony. Mine is just a flute player - more the trickster than the fertility god. Most people only know the flute player part of the legend.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Finished the 5x6 label yesterday. Central rectangle of muslin with wording. Bright multi-color for 4 border sides. 2 border corner squares of little fussy-cut characters on red background. Other 2 border corner squares of a contrasting red geometric. Pressed a 1/4-inch turn-in all around the edge for an easier time sewing it on.

When I hand-sew it on, first I'll baste at least one of the inner seams down, probably 2, then I'll sew around the label. That makes the whole thing more secure like a real part of the back of the quilt, not just a rectangle of fabric that "bubbles" out.

My second cousin married an artist who makes his living from his paintings. Did not realize it, but their daughter, about 10 years older than dd, has now become an artist, too, so I was able to show dd13 her third cousin's webpage, studio photos and bio, with a lot of her works pictured. I think dd was impressed but confused by the contemporary pieces (the girl's father is a more traditional artist). Each piece is very unusual except a few that are commissioned pieces you can tell she toned down.

I just wanted dd to see that there's such a thing as working every day on learning a skill set and having a workplace that is busy with a lot of intensity and effort. I have no idea that the daughter will be able to make a living - don't know how to judge that. But she is certainly not afraid of hard work.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:18 pm

I am enjoying this new pattern for a prayer shawl; the current project will be shorter more like a capelet for over the shoulders as I have less yarn for this project unless I run across some. I had to rip some out so found out this one fits and I'm delighted to say that it does! Yea!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:56 pm

I finished a caplet today it turned out great! :mrgreen:

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:33 pm

Nancy, your caplet made me think of a bridesmaid dress I made DD2 one time, had a lace caplet attached, it matched the dress, was very pretty. It attached like a collar but came down over her shoulders.

Harriet, I'm glad to see you are able to get a little sewing in.

I have a leather thimble but I actually wore a hole in it. 3 fingers on my left hand under the quilt get torn up and I use different spots all the time, right up to the first knuckle. Also, when I push the needle away from me with my thumb (and metal thimble) while making little stitches, I "catch" the needle with my middle finger on the top. So that finger gets damaged also. Couple days ago I'd grown a callous there and a piece of that flaked off and it was raw underneath. Ouch!

I just consider this the hazards of the hobby, but I tend to slow down when my fingers get really sore. I think when my skin toughens up I can feel the needle less and actually stab it harder.

I have 7 of the marine squares quilted, tiny little stitches around fish and turtles with longer wavy 'water current' lines between. I have about a 10" high by 4" wide piece of borders quilted, tiny stitches around seashells. This is not the kind of quilting that goes fast.

Sunny, we need to know how DGD liked her quilt! Do tell... sorry if I missed anything you said about it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Got a lot done on the caplet yesterday but last night had to rip out some today hoping for forward progress.

Last week was interesting on the Knit & Crochet now show they had various knitting looms and were showing tips and techniques on them.

Return to “The Creative Home”