Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2012

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:18 am

Sorry you had to take out some stitching, Nancy. Have you ever used one of those knitting looms? A lady once gave one to my mother because she didn't want it any more, but neither my mother or I learned to use it - there were no instructions and it looked very complicated. This was long before the internet told you everything about a product just by searching the name!!!

Harmony, I have seen other methods, mostly seeing them as advertisements (but sometimes articles) in quilt mags. There is a "spoon" type thimble that used to be widely recommended and stayed advertised for years - don't know if it still is, but there would be diagrams of how you would hold the spoon shape in the off hand under the quilt and it would take all the beating. Also there is an Asian lady who invented a thimble/method and had also made some gorgeous quilts, so I've seen an article or two on her with photos of the quilts but don't remember photographs of her invention???? Hmmm If I find any of these again, I'll let you know.

I enjoyed hand-sewing the label (5" x 6"?) on last evening. I know it took about an hour because I watched two sit-coms, lol. Dd13 said I wasn't watching but I said yes, I was; I was hearing it all and seeing enough to keep up! Because I sewed two of the interior seams down first (with nothing much more than long running stitches like basting) it was well-anchored as I sewed and now seems firmly attached to the quilt back. Much better than the ones I've just sewn around the edges. The best thing about the time was that I was left alone!

I kept the quilt in a pillowcase while I worked, with just the part I was working on out of the case. That's helpful for getting it put away fast if necessary, plus it's protected and pretty much stays on my lap, not the floor.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 am

Thimbles that have been the darlings of the quilt world at different times:

Here's an article by Jinny Beyer on how she uses the spoon-shaped product. Jinny Beyer is the author of the book LisaB and I chatted about, called "The Quilters Album of Patchwork Patterns", and lots of other books, of course. This video is not Jinny but another lady. Jinny writes how it took her a long time to get the hang of it but she's used it ever since (10 years), and she is pretty much revered as THE hand-sewing authority by quilt mags, I guess.

And here is the bookby the lady I mentioned. Her products are the "Pain Free Thimbles". As you can see, she gets mixed reviews on her 2 books, but you learn how to use her thimble fast because it fits just like other thimbles. And here is her selection of thimbles. I believe she is Chinese by birth - only judging from her first name. But you can tell English isn't her first language in the way she writes. She says her thimbles "lift the pain from the fingers". :) That's sweet.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:22 am

Harriet yes I've used one of those looms before my dsis likes them. I prefer to knit myself. I come across them from time to time and have been donating them to the church group that does needle work they are making hats.

My #1 dgd showed me how to use the round one, the long rectangle ones are threaded differently than the round ones my sis showed me on that one. The rectangle ones can make a good sized piece if you open it up by leaving one end open while doing it and it's a nice size for lap robe or prayer shawl.

The first rows are a challenge getting it loose enough so tension is not messed up. They have books and like you said internet has directions now as well.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Well that was interesting, Harriet, thanks. Imagine ordering a book and having it come in Japanese! I watched the video several times. I guess it would be something you'd have to just do until you got the knack. I find the spoon idea fascinating and will definitely try. The thimble she is using in the video is the exact one I bought and am using. Of the thimble products, the last one in an apricot colored square is similar to something I have in plastic so I may try that again too. I used to use that on my top hand thumb to push the needle, but now my new thimble fits my thumb and I use that.

I have made some stitches that are so small I can barely see them...but I'm not a fan of that because I actually like to see my stitches!

I'm using a good brand of light blue thread on the dark water fabric but I am disappointed in the thread itself. It tends to shred a bit and I can't use very long pieces. I have been 3 places and haven't been able to find brown hand quilting thread. I'm using an ecru on the seashells but wanted darker on the sand so the sandcastle, etc. shows up nicely.

What is this quilt you're labeling? Something you're going to hang up?

Nancy, I worked with a girl who had a knitting machine...it was a big thing and she showed me what she was working on. It seemed so complicated. I guess your loom is something different than that?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:17 pm

The ones I'm talking about are on this web site with instructions photos u-tube of it. http://www.squidoo.com/KniftyKnitter

Did some knitting and unknitting now to re-work the pink color! :roll:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm on the last two - three colors of the current project I'm working on. Yea for progress.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:06 pm

I have stitched a piece together that I crocheted it's going to be a tote bag.

Return to “The Creative Home”