Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
BookSaver
Administrator

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2012

Postby BookSaver » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:19 pm

WTG Harmony!
Nancy, your knitting projects always sound like a lot of fun.

I missed my self-induced deadline of yesterday for the costume. The costumer originally asked for it to be returned to her the morning of the 24th, which is tomorrow, so I'll finish it tonight and still be on time.

1) The heat wave slowed me down since the only room with a/c is the bedroom, and I didn't want to haul my machine and everything upstairs.

2) I am sticking to my vow to NOT pull all-nighters for volunteer work any more. I may sew all night for myself or a family member, but not for strangers or even for friends. BTDT way too many times.

3) It was a much more valuable use of my time to work in the kitchen this week.

4) I am taking more time with this costume than I normally would for something that, being for the stage, does not need to be precisely put together. I've spent so many years sewing costumes and throwing things together quickly, that I've lost a lot of skill. I'm trying to re-train myself to precision craftsmanship. The next sewing I do will be for myself, so this is good practice time.

I am enjoying the sewing. I think the fabric is pretty, since I have always liked polka dots.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:15 am

Booksaver thanks! Good thinking about the wise choices for future sewing project it's good to have limits in mind. I used to sew into the wee hrs. of the a.m. but that was in my younger days.

:mrgreen: I finished the cranberry prayer shawl we had some bad weather here yesterday tornado warnings so being inside was the best option. Got a bit more progress on the yellow one as well.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:36 pm

I used to sew all night too. Halloween costumes and prom dresses, etc. I still like to sew late but not that late any more!

Spent some time rewashing my red material which I wanted to use in other quilts. No more shedding all over the other fabric! I have 2 reds, the older one didn't lose any red, the newer one left a little bit in the water, to my surprise. I'd washed it twice already in the washer and thought it was good. I washed / rinsed about 3 times and it seems to be ok now.

I have some of the binding cut but not all yet. I don't know what's wrong with me, I just can't seem to get in the groove of working on it for much time. I've been doing a little and then walking away. If I didn't have this goal I think I would walk away from all this for a while.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Yes I think about the fun factor on knitting projects before I start. The lemon yellow prayer shawl is half way done now. [I need to put one in the car to keep for when we go to the movies!] They would be less bulky than a blanket.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:37 am

Harriet ~ Do you buy chicken feed in big bags?
Have you seen this tutorial for converting the feed sack into a tote bag?

http://communitychickens.blogspot.com/2 ... -tote.html

I think it's pretty cute and looks easy to do. It looks as sturdy as the reusable grocery bag I bought at Aldi.

Here's another version using a larger bag and purchased handles.

http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/20 ... -tote.html

Unfortunately, the cat food I buy does not come in such attractive bags. I sent an Email to a friend who raises chickens, to see if she can get any of these with the bright colors and pretty pictures.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:59 am

One of the best kept secrets in the knitting world is that knitting lace appears to be much more difficult than it is. Myrna L. I. Stahmar

I did more on the yellow prayer shawl project in k2 p2 check pattern that looks like the black berry stitch and looks lovely is reversible edges do not curl! Yea!!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Glad you found a stitch you like that will look good right out to the edges, Nancy. Reversible look is a plus.

Harmony, have you finished the binding on the sea-shore quilt? You know, if you need a break, you need a break. What if you put all cloth away for a while and did something completely different, like a book, or some odd household project? Put your hands into/onto completely different work like paint, or garden things or NOTHING. When you get fabric back on the mind, pull it all back out and have fun.

BookSaver, the one HRH bought last appears to be exactly the one she is making in the second link. Yellow-ish Dumor with "Poultry" up the side, "100%" along the top in the curve, "crumbles". I'm sure you realize that a couple pics she has taken make this one look much more cloth-like than it is. The surface of these is actually shiny with a plasticized look, although woven when you look closely. This would be a fun craft, but I know I would postpone it, and I know I would have more bags appearing later. So if this bag is one you'd like, and your friend doesn't have it, remember I'd send it right to you as soon as the girls are finished, which may be any day now if HRH dumps this bag's contents into a canister to make space when he brings in another 50-pound bag.

I realize you are probably looking for the Purina if you like the brighter color. I use "crumbles", which in Purina (probably the only other brand I will find right now) is the lighter blue bag. That vivid blue Purina bag is "pellets", which my hens don't like, but put in your order with me and I could send you a lighter blue one in the future!

Thanks for letting me know this craft even exists - I had completely missed this concept. I'll bet it grew out of the existence of a limited quantity of pink Purina bags a year or so ago. Limited quantities always call attention to an item, even up-cycled ones! Now, if there were a hoarder who had saved all his pink bags in a barn somewhere, he could probably make some money, lol!

I had a construction thought - what about a stiff piece of cardboard the same size as the bottom of the bag if you wanted more sturdiness? Actually, it could probably be covered quickly in leftovers from the project to remain water-repellent.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:55 pm

I believe I may have a family snoop so no pictures yet...but I have happy news to report!

My quilt is done. I did that thing I said I don't do any more, stayed up very very late stitching that binding on. Miles and miles (well it felt like that) of tiny stitches alllllll the way around into the wee hours. Today I made the label, which makes me smile. Top 1/3 is a piece of the sea material with a turtle and a tiny yellow fish, bottom 2/3 is the blue sky material with the lettering. Sea of Dreams.

I took an idea of yours, Harriet, and actually did some additional stitching on the label, quilting stitches along the sea/sky material seam and then quilting around the turtle and the little fish. Adds a little dimension and "touch interest". In general I'm pretty pleased.

I had taken a bunch of breaks along the way doing this one since it was so labor intensive. I even read a book. Now that I'm done with it and it's stretched out on guest bed, I'm itching to start on the airplane one. Some planning is next. I have a pattern for a bunch of different planes, making 5" blocks, paper pieced.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:44 am

Creating and processing exotic yarns had given new meaning to adding fiber to my diet!
Kathy Hanea

Here's a knitting quote for your gals to enjoy! Have a great day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Funny, Nancy!

Problems with the new quilt. I was wiping the backing with damp rag as a few spots had the blue marking pen come through and I noticed a stain that was just water mark from the cleaning I did when the red bled, so I took it into the kitchen and cleaned that off. That came off nicely, but when it dried I noticed that now the dark blue is bleeding onto the backing. I prewashed all this dark stuff 2 times in the washer. And there is more red coming through. I could cry.

Does anybody know, at this point should I just wash the whole thing with that product we talked about before? I know once a quilt is washed it never looks 100% brand new, so I'm not really happy.

I'm just thinking there is not enough water in a front-loader machine to properly pre-wash fabric. I will never do bright colors again. It's back to pastels. Hard for boys, and come to think of it all my sports fabric for another one are bright colors.. I don't know what to do any more.

Return to “The Creative Home”